THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Lifelong Dream Starting to come true in 10 Day's Time.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifelong Dream Starting to come true in 10 Day's Time.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Ever since I read my first book in English - a second language - "White Fang" as a young boy, I've longed to see and experience Alaska.

Now, on 16 August I actually fly out of Jojannesburg on my way there. Thanks in a very big way to my friend Dave Mansfield from Baker, LA who is doing all the planning and arranging of bookings, light aircraft and gear, cold weather clothes and gear, rain clothes and gear and a lot of other things.

I will only arrive in Anchorage at about 21.00 on 21 August 2007. We are off to some fishing on 22 August, but is due back in Anchorage again by 30 August.

By then I hope to have heard a wolf cry, and maybe, just maybe seen a bear - preferably far off, upwind through binos! Just as virtually all USA hunters want to at least see a lion in the wild, but few have the money required to even consider hunting one, I also want to see a bear, but most certainly do not want to get into and tight situation with one, or God forbid, more! I suppose I'l just fall for the advice and use peper spray and wear silver bells! Wink

Serious though, I'd really like to met and speak to people who actually live and hunt up near the top of the world.

Come, let's see about sharing a beer!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Any AR member who who cares to meet a PH from South Africa is most welcome to drop by our hotel for a shared beer. Please send PM and make arrangements to meet.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I think your odds of seeing a bear are very good on the Kenai below the Russian river. I saw 4 there a few weeks ago. I would be more than happy to toast a beer with you but the timing is off for me as I am leaving for a 9 day caribou hunt on the 25th. Good luck and enjoy our great state!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you've really been looking forward to this trip. Hopefully, we'll meet up when I return and you get back in from the Bush.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JUST curious..
HOW many hours flying will it be from SA to AK???

hope you get frequent flyer miles.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your adventure. you will bave a Blast!! Big Grin

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've made the trip twice and by the time you get there it's about 35 hours if you don't lay over for a couple of days somewhere in between.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also want to see a bear, but most certainly do not want to get into and tight situation with one.

On my drive to the rifle range yesterday during my lunch hour, there was a black bear sitting and eating blueberries in the road ditch.

One year, a blackie walked right across the gun range at the 100 yd line during a cease fire.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
M70Nut,

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure that I will enyour your great state, which also just happens to be more than twice the size of our whole country!

yukon delta,

Sure have been looking forward to this for many years! Sure hope we can meet nd shere the cost of some beers!

LWCOP,

You asked about flying time? 8 hours JHB to Dubai + 6:25 hours to Hamburg + 8:40 hours to JF Kennedy + 2:59 to Miami + 1:50 to New Orleans + 1:30 to Dallas Ft Worth + 6:40 to Anchorage. That is just actual in the air time. Add wait of 3:50 in Dubai and somewhet less in Hamburg, and it gets really long travel. This is one heck of a lot of flying! Fortunately it is only the part to NY that is non-stop travel, starting at 19:05 on Thursday 16 August and getting to JFK by 18:05 on Friday 17th August. Now that is not just a bit less than one day, as NY is 7 (?) hours behind Johannesburg!

From NY I travel in easy stages while visiting some friends on the way.

My countdown now is at about 3 days to start. Can't wait any longer!

tstrum,

I'm going to be in Soldotna on 22 and again on 29 August. Would be nice to meet you there? Please send PM with telephone details if you wish.

Thanks for all the good wishes. That I'm going to have a ball is sure! Those who wish to, please look me up at the Econo Lodge on 21 August or at the Royal Suite Lodge on 30 or 31 August and share a beer and some hunting talk.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM to you. We should be able to hook up before you leave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I hope you enjoy your time in Alaska! I sure enjoy my time in Africa! Been to Namibia twice and plan on heading back! I will be in Palmer at the state fair on Sat. and Sunday. Sure would be nice to hook up, but timing wise it probably won't work. Good luck and I hope you catch tons of fish!

Northway

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be at the fair on Sat too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew
Much good luck to you on your adventure. I've been to Alaska once and it was a life-changing event. Took a fine caribou in 1999 near the Stony River in the Lime Hills, saw 6 griz, two awesome moose and started missing the place before I left it. Truly the last frontier.
Good luck!
Walt
www.buckmountainrifleworks.com

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I guess I missed you. I never heard from you on your return. Hope you had a good trip and we'll catch you another time.