Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for Moose hunt reports.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I know there is still a week in the Moose season but am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about the Moose hunts of this year.

I went last year but very rainy and not as cold as it should have been so we had no luck, saw very few Moose hunted 13 days in the rain on a 10 day drop camp out of Mcgrath.

Tell me your successes and unsuccesses from this falls Moose hunts.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snell-
As of now, our group of 5 have put down 2. I got one on the 13th & one of the other guys got his on the 16th. Mine was just a forked horn & his was about 40". The 2 of us came out on the 18th and the other guys stayed in camp to try for another. No word yet on their success or failure. The season ended on the 20th. The one guy from "Outside" got a nice black bear as well.
Tough hunting this year. Too warm and lottsa leaves still on the trees. The last 10 days should have had skim ice on the ol' honey bucket but there was none. Also, most of the cows we and others saw didn't have calves. We're thinking of bear predation since my one partner who traps the area saw little wolf sign last winter. We also know that there's a fairly large grizzly in the area but only saw some of his old tracks. Have run into him before & he's one very smart cookie to be sure.
Hope eveyone else has/had a good season. At least with the moose & caribou we got this year. we won't be eating cat food this year. Later, Bear

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned after 8 days. Seen only 4 bulls, a 3x2, 2x2, 3 point, and a full size moose with only nubs (definately not a calf) with balls. Saw about half a dozen cows.
This was the first time I hunted an older area since they brought in the 4 brow tine requirement. After a gap of 5 years the hunting has gone down hill. Three of us used to always get two moose from the same area. No wolf tracks but lots of grizz. Watched a momma and twins play 100 yards from us one night for an hour.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bear and Snowwolfe for the report.
I really expected more people to jump in on the results of this years Moose hunt.
Last year (05) when my brother and I went we had a good trip but saw very few Moose for the amount of time we hunted. I know warmer than usual and wet weather played a huge role in our lack of success but I wonder if there is some larger problem in Alaska with the Moose. I have heard (last year and so far this year) very lackluster reports of Moose harvests.
What is going on?
Is there any area in Alaska that stands out in the last two years as a consistent producer of trophy class Moose?
Should I look at the Yukon instead?
Thanks for anyone and everyone's opinions, reports and information.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is my report.
Went 5 for 6 with our hunters.Snallest was 60" & the Largest was 66".Saw many huntable bulls as the 6th man was looking for an over 60's bull & passed on mid 50's.Hunting was tough with the warm weather as the bulls really didnt want to respond to calling BUT persistence paid off & we had a great season.2005 was about the same results as we went 5 for 7 smallest was 54" & the largest was just @ 70.There is good huntingn to be had if you book with the right people who will not BS about their ares.We have noticed an increase in Bulls over the last couple of years & many more cows, & calfs.Things are all good in our Area & it was a very successful last couple of years.

Maybe its not the hunt & areas you hunt but the guides you choose to do it with.

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Been out a few times but havent seen anything legal yet.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulchatna River Mad Man:
Here is my report.
Went 5 for 6 with our hunters.Snallest was 60" & the Largest was 66".Saw many huntable bulls as the 6th man was looking for an over 60's bull & passed on mid 50's.Hunting was tough with the warm weather as the bulls really didnt want to respond to calling BUT persistence paid off & we had a great season.2005 was about the same results as we went 5 for 7 smallest was 54" & the largest was just @ 70.There is good huntingn to be had if you book with the right people who will not BS about their ares.We have noticed an increase in Bulls over the last couple of years & many more cows, & calfs.Things are all good in our Area & it was a very successful last couple of years.

Maybe its not the hunt & areas you hunt but the guides you choose to do it with.

You guys must have happened on a magic spot, better not be telling anyone where you were hunting!

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure guides have access to better producing area's. We go in 28 miles off the road in ATV's and camp out. But I guess it is time I start looking for a new area.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from hunting north of Prince George BC, they are calling around here like crazy right now. I called in about 6 bulls in three days and seen 4 more. The biggest was about a 45-50 inch 10 by 10 and the rest went from a couple of 3x3's on up. It was a very good year there seemed to be moose every where I looked. Also seen quite a few black bears and very few hunters. Another reason for living in the town that I do is that on my GPS I was only 40 kms away from home.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Broke my leg this year so could not go sent a buddy in, in my place. Went with 3 others shot
a 55" and could have taken a legal bull every day. One bull between 2 familys usally works for our group. I may be wrong but cant see shooting a bull each in a party of 4.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Got skunked this year and did not hardly see any moose either. Saw plenty of people though.

Seriously thinking of putting the moose on the back burner that is for sure. (Spend a lot of time thinking about moving back to Montana).

Got my last two moose with my bow during the 8 day bow season (aug10-17). Did see a 3x3 this year in the same place that I got those last two fork horns. When I shot those moose they were ate by the end of the year.

Did get a Caribou with my bow(put 2000 miles on the truck for that).

And I may go deer hunting this year just for old times sake. Deer hunting on the islands is fun. Reminds me of deer hunting in MT. The deer are all over. Except up here it takes a week and some hefty airfare to get there. My last deer hunt got extended an extra week from weather. But hey thats the nature of the beast.

Been up here twenty years and have loved it but I can scratch moose of the list for reasons to stay.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think hunting Kodiak for deer is the most enjoyable hunt I do every year. Sadly my son started college this year and we may miss going there next month.

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Harvested this bull on 10 Sep called him in at daylight, still had coffee in my cup at the shot!

He is eater bull 40".
Win 70 338 Win
225 TSX and 71.0 of IMR 4350
200 yards......0 traveled distanced

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Got one - 67 inches

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=370252&c=532&z=1"] [/url]

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull CK, glad to see it.
Tell the story please.
Also which region of Alaska were you in?

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Nice Bull CK, glad to see it.
Tell the story please.
Also which region of Alaska were you in?

The region, well lets put it like this, it's in Alaska and a any bull area............The tough part of the hunt is the moose were holding off just past the magic mark of more then mile from camp. Anything under mile to camp we didn't see a thing, however you go past a mile from camp the cows & bulls would make a showing. My partner and I decided we'd push ahead at least a mile & half past camp. Pretty slow pickings early in the morning, however right at lunch time, my partner and I broke for lunch. I of course wolfed down my lunch in a hurry and my partner was still eating, and of course guess who pops is head from around the hedgerow about a 175 yards away, old bruiser here. He could care less that we were out in the open next to hedgerow. So we popped him and down he went. And then the work started. It took us 3 days and four guys to pack out the bull to the camp. And guess what happen on day three on the last to pack out of this bull....a nice little 30 inch bull shows up, so the other two guys down this bull. This bull was within a mile of camp and about half the size - Needless to say we bust our butt and packed out this small bull that day........and night, we were back to camp by 8'ish, dead tried to the world. The load I used was a 338 Win Mag with a Barnes 210 gr. Triple shock bullet out of my SS Model 70 LH.

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ck;

congrats on a fine moose and a nicely set up rifle. no wonder you are smiling, 67" would make most guys smile these days.

m.r.m.m.;
congrats go out to you too, for an outstanding record on moose and telling it like it is. you should say who the outfit is and share the wealth. that is a record to be proud of. a lot of truth to what you said. the guys you choose to hunt with are just as important as the area you are hunting in. p.m. me if you prefer.

m70 nut; no photos showing. can you fix that?

this is a good thread, not sure how i missed it earlier? Confused

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Here's a few pics of the moose on shot on the 19th of September with my newly acquired M70 375 H&H. Shot him on the 4th day of a 9 day float hunt.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
One more.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice moose, thanks for the photos. Wink

Cold Zero