Picture of Mike Brooks
posted
These are some tough old folks!

http://www.newsminer.com/view/...ws_window_left_top_2

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I am wondering is two people in AK and not a gun among them and no gun in the Trk. Eeker

What is this world coming too. Wink

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Not everyone is packing when they walk their dogs. Do you?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have known George for many years. A nicer fellow you will not meet. Glad to see he made it through!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!! Tough lady!!!!!!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Not everyone is packing when they walk their dogs. Do you?

Yes I do I had to back down 3 black bears over the years. That didn't likes the looks of the dog. Shot one coyote when walking the dog.

But then I carry walking the dog or not.

About to go for my morning 5 mile run my Glock 23 will be with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had dog team for over 15 years, have waved & hollared off at least 100 moose over the years that were bee lining towards my dog team. When ya start waving arms, swearing at the cow, she freezes, then runs back to her calf every time. If you stand there and don't do anything, cow will run ya down.

A couple times, I had moose running down the trail at me from 50-75 yards, fired off 44 into air and they jumped right off the trail.

Had local moose that I hand fed and I'd sit down on logs in the woods and talk to. Only time I've been run down I was calling late in the season and once I started yelling, the moose run off.

I find our moose here in the interior to be a little bigger than in MatSu and a slight bit more aggressive due to the wolves I think, but I'm much more wary of bear than any old moose.

Cut a live moose outta a wolf snare sometime with sidewinders, then tell me about it; now that's where ya can get front footed.

I guess I don't feel threatened by any moose in the same manner our local Indians feel about bear around here. Any of you other guys see it like I do, where ya don't really fear getting stomped by the moose?

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I was framing a house floor a couple of years ago when an aggressive cow came in the yard.

I can run across floor framing quite fast and I've never see a moose able to do the same. Pictre a 40'x 40' cattle guard.

I just hopped in a few rows and waited until the cow left.

I certainly don't always have a gun on me. I wear a tool belt, a variety of different clothes depending on the weather, and in and around some customers I certaily don't need the distraction of a firearm in view. I do usually have a .45 in the truck for protection for my bird dog against in bred loose sled dogs.

I really do't want to have to DLP a animal for any reason. In most cases with a little common sense wildlife conflict can generally be avoided.

Posts: 9217 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is all great and wonderful to scare off and or avoid a attack. But that is not what happen here.

I would rather have a firearm then a shovel to get a moose off.

If she had time to get a shovel and beat the moose with it she would have had time to get and a use more suitable weapon. If it was available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had incidents with moose as well. I was wondering how long it would be before someone made a post on this story. My encounters are usually during breakup while running my sled dog. Cows with calves on the trail that don't wanna move off. Have had 'em in the yard at my old place - right up near the dog too. Had to rush out & bring him into the house since I was afraid he'd get stomped. Threw rocks at the cow & she just raised the hackles on her neck. Needless to say, I retreated into the house & stayed there till she & the calf left.
I just laugh when guys from the Lower-48 think we should carry a firearm 24/7. And "No"!!, I'm not gonna carry my .44 with me when I go out to warm up the truck at -35 deg. even tho we live out of town. Nobody does that up here.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had two serious incidents with moose in Montana.

Once a Moose tried to get in the tent with the wife and I...

Second, a Moose tried to stomp a mudhole in the wife and I when on the trail hunting black bear...

No moose, and no "people" were harmed in these incidents, but it was touch and go for the moose...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear in Fairbanks...

I do not know about you, but when ever I am in any kind of bear country, or Meth making country, I wear my 44 Mag 100% of the time, including when sleeping in the sleeping "bag".

But I also carry a handgun 100% of the time 24 hours a day, EVERY DAY, just like I have fire insurance valid 100% of the day, vehicle insurance valid 100% of the day, AND WEAR MY SEAT BELT 100% of the time...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who telling who to carry a firearm at any time.

Thats a personnal choice.

As I said I rather have a good firearm then a shovel to protect myself.

One can own the best guns in the world, be the best shot, use the best ammo ect ect.

But none of that matters one bit if you don't have it with you when you need it.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
From a practical perspective it just doesn't add up (at least for me,) to pack iron 24/7-365.

A wildlife attack for me would be would be the same odds as a lightning strike, tsunami, nuclear attack or lottery win. As a resident of rural Alaska, I don't feel the need to pack iron, wear lineman gloves, a life jacket, stay within 20yds of a fall out shelter or have a pre plan with my windfall financial adviser.

A particularly funny dumb stunt I pulled one time was to bring a total of five firearms moose hunting. My disjointed thought process was, "I'll bring a moose rifle, a back up, a shotgun for fall waterfowl, the short shotgun for the camp, and a handgun on my hip." I didn't realize the foolishness until one of my hunting partners tallied the load once we'd hauled it all to camp.

Experience and maybe a little maturity now dictates one and only one rifle while big game hunting and a fowling piece along with a rifle while spring camping/ waterfowling. In town, I'll just keep the nail gun at hand.

Wisconsin must have fierce wildlife.

Posts: 9217 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most everybody I know & see have a couple guns in their trucks all the time, same in their boats on the river; nobody ever steals any of them. I live around quite a few Indians as most rural Alaskans and they hunt whenever they want to or see something or need meat.

Come May, most people I see have guns on their belts or the Indians rifles on sling as they ride their bike down the road. Reason is many have been treed at one time or another. You should see how it gets when we have a grizz walking down the dirt road like it's his every couple days.

When I'm riding atv or cutting wood in warmer weather, I always have a gun with me. Once, I had a blk bear come crawling in with front quarters down, butt up in the air, ears going back and forth; just like a cat sneaking up on a rabbit;;;; the first time I didn't have a gun and I had to wave and hollar bear off and the bear was within 6-8 feet of me when it ran back to the woods. The bear did this 3 times and then walked off into the woods. True story and I know another local who had same thing happen to him from blk bear. Why I always have a 44 or when I really think I might be shooting at something, the 5 inch 460. Once I get 20 miles downriver or away from people, I have young animals like fox, bear, cyote, walk up close to me every season. I don't think they have ever seen people. But moose calves never do that, ha ha.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its all about personal choices. Its nice live in areas that we have them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,ve seen a guy get stomped from a distance. By the time you realize whats going on, odds are the damage is done.
Also saw a guy go charging after a cow with a calf, camera in hand, to get a better picture. Probably took about ten-fifteen seconds for him to come running back out with a cow chasing him.
Second one could have gone badly, happened to have a camera in hand when the the guy got chased out of the trees by the cow. In the picture, dude was at a full sprint, cow pretty close.
In the first one, there was no happy ending.
Both instances, if I think about it, I get a little reminder that when we,re up on two feet, room to move, we,re fairly agile. As time goes by, also notice a gradual slowing down on my part. Still, I can move a lot faster if I,m up on two feet than I can rolling around on the ground.
Add ice, snow, rocks, and roots, four legs instead of two, and starting at a few hundred pounds weight difference, I,m gonna say that the advantage goes to the moose.
Ideal circumstances, usually all parties concerned go their seperate ways a little aggitated, but unharmed.
I don,t tell anybody else they have to carry a gun. There are times and places where I am prohibited from carrying one. Usually, theres a Kenworth between me and the moose. If its just me, whether its out in the boonies, or along any of the trails in and around town, I like carrying a gun of some sort.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It's all good to play arm chair quarter back after the fact.. But the facts are there were very old folks (82 +85 yo)doing their normal routine. They weren't out for a 5 mile run, LOL that'd probably do them in worse that the moose!
The stompee and his wife have been around here for many years so they know what's happening I'm sure.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see they made it out ok . We run our dogs in the same way .. Drive around the airport , let the dogs out on the back road and take off . Let the dogs do what dogs are good at , run . 99% of the time we have a gun with us . My wife runs the dogs mosy of the time and the rule is , no gun , no running the dogs ..
I view a firearm kindof like I do a hard hat . . If its not on where its supposed to be , the best you can hope for is ALOT of pain .. . I have had a number of brown bear incidents while building houses and camps , so I wear a full flap holstered large revolver when working anywhere at all remote . .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote