Find
Notify
Tools

got my first big bou.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted
Just got back from 6 days on the Denali, got my second bou last night, and the first decent size caribou I've taken.

We spent the day lazing around after I returned late the night before from dropping the moose off at the butcher. Got up late did camp chores, and headed off with the 22's for a some ptarmigan. That turned out to be a bust so we headed to the river to re-fill out water and do some dishes. After filling up, we started to head back from camp, when my buddy spotted his bull.

Ditched the quads, and took off across the tundra. We were able to keep some tussocks between us and him, and head him off, but he spotted or scented us, and started to move away. About 250-300 yds he stopped broad side, and my buddy shot off my shoulder, he spined it just behind the neck and it dropped to the shot

After a second or two of watching and we were sure it was down, and down hard, we turned and started back for the ATV's when I turned and seen another bull on a ridge about 1/2 a mile in the distance. He lead me on a merry chase and never would let me close the distance. He didn't seem to particularly care we were there, but he wouldn't let me get closer than about 280-300 yds. We tried moving behind cover, with the wind etc. I just couldn't get any closer to him, so finally I found a good tussock laid in, and he made the mistake of turning broadside at about 315 yds. Few seconds later I'd dropped my first "trophy" caribou with a heart/double lung shot.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good going !!! You put the bullet in the right place on your "Bou" !!!!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job on the nice animals and a successful hunt.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal. We hunt subsistence the 40 mile herd. My daughter got a double shovel early, I saw another double yesterday but it was the first double I've seen in a few weeks and even though we had tags, just passed; looking for moose actually. Probably looked at 5-6 hundred cross the road and only one double shovel; they get shot off quick.

We've seen 8 grizz over last 2 weeks, feeding on gut piles; two got shot and they were 4-5 hundred lbers like most interior grizz.

Moose are running like crazy all over last two days. Got a 46 incher 2 nights back and wife got hers last night, half rack; we're done, tired, wore out and too much meat hangin. I saw a 60 plus yesterday, but he was gone before anybody could even get a shot; actually luv seeing them just wish I'd see as many as I have over last couple days early in the season and I never seem to see them then, ha. We have low moose numbers and too many wolves and bear. No joke, if I sit down and no traffic on road, I see wolves at several place strolling down the middle of road at 7-8 every evening.

I think our subsistence moose season goes to the 25th, my son says he's flying home from school for a couple days to get one; hunting was so much more enjoyable when the kids were still living at home, they grow up too quick.

I have a bunch of more picts if I ever get them on my photobucket, but here's that double my girl got and a couple more smaller ones. It's all about fresh meat for us.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tell us about that first rifle.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope that you mean my post?

Stag 6.8 SPC carbine with acog 4X32 red dot horse shoe. My light hunting rifle when on atv or snowmachine with team sling around back of neck. Little gun is one of my favorites. Have killed 2-3 year old bou at 550 yards, but is more 2-3 hundred yard gun.

Have killed a few caribou with it over last couple years, also 5 bear up to 300 lbs.

Now this particular double shovel didn't want to go down at 200 yards after my daughter hit it probably half dozen times, didn't run, just stood there wondering what was stinging him. Before that bou, they all went down quick with 6.8.

I now prefer the 338 fed AR-10 but still is only 3-4 hundred yard gun. It has 3.5X35 acog horse shoe scope. I'm really satisfied with my acogs, even more so than leupolds; just preference I guess.

Wife and I both have shot moose with 338 fed, they didn't go anywheres either. For the long stuff, I like my 30-378; it really throws everything for a loop.

I really like the collapsible magpuls and short barrels. I'm thinking about cutting down a 30-378 to 20 inches and making a short butt stock so I can ride 4 wheeler with it and not hit trees on narrow trails.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you meant his AR or my bolt gun.

Mine is a 338 WM built by Steve at AK Custom Guns for me, its a mauser VZ-24 action, and I had him build it up on an express rifle profile. Little heavy, but shoots like a dream. Easily one of if not the most accurate rifle I own.

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick, I was wondering about your rifle as well...thought you were hunting Caribou with a 458 Lott! Nice looking rifle.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Stick, what stock and barrel did Steve put on your gun? Looks great.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
No, just a express profile.

Dave, I'm unsure of the maker, I thought it was Hart or Shillen, but its been quite a while, I'm sure Steve would know.

The stock, I beleive is a MPI. And it has his Nitride teflon coating, which makes it weatherproof, as well as slick.

My only complaint, is that I didn't get a matching rifle, done in a smaller caliber, but I hope to fix that this year with a 275 Rigby.