New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska grizzly hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wrapped up another hunt up north with a AR member. We were planning a sheep hunt but after a day of being unable to fly into the mountains he elected to turn the hunt into a backpack hunt for grizzly rather than risk loosing more time unable to fly into sheep country. Apparently grizzly hunting sounded better than staring at a hotel TV!!
Long story short, we saw five grizzly and spent several days weathered into our one man tents, on our good weather days we saw bears. On the last night we spotted a fat fat grizzly for the second time about two miles out across a aggressive ravine. We made our push finally spotting the bear about five hundred yards farther out and moving off, I was thinking it was a no go, and my client noticed and just took off after the bear! Game on! We pushed farther on catching the grizzly at less than a hundred yards. Several well placed shots later he had his bear! I was impressed with his drive and determination and those attributes are why he got a great bear! An 8' sow with incredible fat all around her body!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

It's good when the client wants to go faster rather then the other way around.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol it was very nice to see someone so motivated and to help keep the team going. Either succeed as a team or fail as one. I hope he chimes in here. Good guy to share a camp with.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic job Guys!!

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
tu2

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a well earned trophy. Great looking fur on that bear.

Looking forward to chasing these with Jake next fall.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
What was she eating to get that fat? What a hog.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueberries and moose calves I guess...even missing a few teeth!

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one fat bear. Ready for winter. Congrats Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty bear!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Jake

Told you that you guys would hit it off. Barry, like you, is fun company. Stay well!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunsmokeAdventures
posted Hide Post
Thanks jake, yes motivation to connect with that bear was pretty high knowing there was just a couple of hours left before the end of the hunt........and after having spent the previous 48 hours holed up in a wet tent and sleeping bag. Sorry about racing off up the hill without notice when it was time to go to work. Lol

Stuck in seattle with delayed flights and missed connections. Will update with some photos when i finnally get home

Info@gunsmokeadventures.com.au
+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha no worries gun smoke I was outa steam but refreshed by your drive!! And your shooting....lol not your gun or the bullets that came outa it however!
But don't worry when I tell ya the story I tell everyone you saved me crossing the raging river and your extra drive at the end is why you punched a tag! No glory hound here, fun having a different story to tell. By the way the weather in the mtns is still crap. Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!
Congratulations.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wow yes a very fat looking bear, very nice looking hide and color as well. Did you think it was a sow when you went after it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It didn't look like a sow. We don't often get really dark sows up there and her size/fat rolls was misleading lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOME PHOTOS FROM THE HUNT

as seen through the spotting scope several days before

front paw

Backpack hunting

one fat bear

lots of caribou about

Amazing fall colours

+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful coat. The scenery was outstanding also. To bad you didn't get to hunt the sheep. I've seen that grin some where before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was a beautiful time to be in the mountains bama15. The changing colors were spectacular.

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Barry

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Gunsmoke, I was with Jake the hunt before. Saw that bear, great to see it laying in front of you!!Ccongratulations

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Schall53. Congratulations also on the nice grizz you took the week before

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the pictures....it is appreciated more than you could imagine.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Yes, wonderful bear. ! For an Interior bear , that one is Big!
I take it you had to use your sheep rifle for your bear.. What were you shooting ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Real nice bear. I've got a grizzly hunt booked with Jake next year, can't wait till next June.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bear!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply amazing and beautiful photography!