THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Approximate cost of a DIY caribou hunt?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approximate cost of a DIY caribou hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
I posted this in another topic,I had a terrible hunt in Alaska, but thought I'd start another topic for fresh ideas. The premiss is that it cost the other guy $7.0K for a drop camp caribou hunt.

I'm planning a caribou hunt in 2006, probably out of Bethel and I've thown together some rough figures. I do not count equipment, as that is an investment, nor food, or ammo, or taxidermy, etc. Someone tell me if I'm missing $3,500.00, somewhere. I know there may some dollars missing (such as an extra flight for moose meat if that was what we were hunting), but I don't think it would add up to an additional $3.5K.

Flight: Dallas to Anchorage $400
Alaska Airlines: Anchorage to Bethel
with two oversize checked bags $500
Bush flight (Piper cub) $1400
a float plane flight will be the
same $, but split 3 ways which is
how I'll probably do it to save $$
H&F License & Tag $460
3 nights hotel before/after hunt $450
Shipping of meat,hide, anlters $300
(I think antlers can be mailed,
along with my Tuffpak, back home to
save some $$)

Rough Total $3,510

Spending 7-10 in The Last Frontier - Priceless
though I do reserve the right to change my mind after my return.

BTW, I've some friends that went in a big group (6 people) several years ago and about half were unhappy and the other half can't stop going back - all in the same camp. I think is comes down to proper preparations, proper expectations, and fortunate execution/outcome (weather, game, etc.).

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd say that sounds about right, though I think Dallas to Anchorage may end up being about double that, and with higher fuel costs, I'd confirm the cub flight as well. Still, I think it can be done for about $4k.

I think the real difference between a good time and a bad time is realistic expectations, ie knowing how much it will cost, what shape you are in, how hard the hunting will be and what the weather can do, and being unrealistic.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd agree that your prices look about right, and that air fare is the variable that can make a difference at the moment.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Yahoo search - Delta, Alaska Airlines, America West - all under $400 round trip for mid to late September. Of course, Delta could be DOA by next fall.

Renfro's Alaskan Adventures has unguided caribou hunts for $1,495 per hunter, two hunter minimum, out of Bethel. Granted, they may have gone up the last couple of months, but that's what is listed.

Does anyone know if there are any black bears in GMU18, or do the brown/grizzlies keep them killed out? Wolves?

I did leave off the the Sat Phone rental - that'll cost a little. Priceless when you need it though.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yahoo search - Delta, Alaska Airlines, America West - all under $400 round trip for mid to late September. Of course, Delta could be DOA by next fall.

Renfro's Alaskan Adventures has unguided caribou hunts for $1,495 per hunter, two hunter minimum, out of Bethel. Granted, they may have gone up the last couple of months, but that's what is listed.

Does anyone know if there are any black bears in GMU18, or do the brown/grizzlies keep them killed out? Wolves?

I did leave off the the Sat Phone rental - that'll cost a little. Priceless when you need it though

Redlander,

Go to http://www.lakeclarkair.com and check it out. Give Mark Lang a call. You can fly DFW/Anc and from Anchorage on their fixed wing from Merrill Field to their base on Lake Clark.

Tell Mark you want the Stinson or the Super Cub w/tundra tires. He'll put you on the Bou and get you back to Anchor town with your meat. Price will be right. Mark will also set you up with the necessary camp gear, too, for a minimal fee cutting down on what you have to bring from DFW and back. If the Bou move on you, he'll pick you up and move you to them. I'd avise not to do the float plane thing and to stay with tundra tires.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The costs are probably about right.We have done the DIY caribou hunt the last two years. Coming from IL. to Dillingham and Air Taxi from there. Total costs have been around $2200-2500 per person.
A few cost savings included getting an Alaska Air visa card. The card costs $75, but gets you a $50 companion fare. Also, shipping can be accomplished cheaper than you would expect, but not without asking many questions. Our antlers were shipped back uncut for under $250 for both. The local individual who specializes in shipping them wanted closer to $500 and 2-3 weeks instead of 3 days.

FWIW

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good info on the Alaska Air card. Thanks, MFH.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good post and you're doing your research. A good example of how things should be done..you asking questions, and others helping.

If AckleyImprovedUser had started a post like this before his hunt, he might not look like such an idiot.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding a 2006 caribou hunt:
I was unable to meet partners for a bou hunt this year (sudden family health problems), and Richard Gardner, the outfitter in Delta Junction, kindly agreed to hold my deposit for next year. So, I will be looking for a partner for a 2006 hunt. Richard charges around 2500 for a 10-day drop hunt in a fully outfitted camp (exclusive of food)....plus 400 for a meat pick-up flight. If anyone **might be** interested in partnering with me either with Richard or anywhere else in AK (as isolated and "peaceful" as possible), PLEASE communicate.
I am 64, a retired US Forest Service scientist, and ahelluvaniceguy. I am waiting for my partners' report on his hunt....he will be home in OR on the 20th or 21st.
Alex in FL

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAk:
This is a good post and you're doing your research. A good example of how things should be done..you asking questions, and others helping.

If AckleyImprovedUser had started a post like this before his hunt, he might not look like such an idiot.

Thank you and all the others for your advice - and more is better. I might pick up that Alaska Airlines CC, my other one is Cabela's Big Grin.

This trip is to coincide with the National Conference of The Wildlife Society, 23-27 Sep 2006, and I want to do the hunt just prior to the conference. The flight to Anchorage will most likely be paid by my employer, but the hunt is all on me. However, this will probably not be my last trip to the Great North - my wife is open to spring fishing/black bear hunt boat trip. Sort of like a cruise but with more action - she likes fishing more than hunting.

Again, mucho thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing we took advantage of for our second trip was the Alaska Air mileage plan. You get 5000 miles for approval on the card, bonus miles for on line ticketing and then air miles. Other than a little hassle, juggling the flights can pay off. Three of us went last year to dillingham. A regular ticket cost was around $900/ person. We ended up paying 279ea. to Seattle, and then got 1 ticket for 20k miles on a saver mileage . After that, one reg. price at $579 and the second companiion fare for $50 plus a few taxes. We had to watch for the saver fares and book when they showed up...a little flexibility saved big $$. Flight cost avg. between $500 and $600 each intead of $900+.

If you have any connections, an employee from fedex ect. can provide call tags for ease of shipping... a couple salmon might even get some at employee rate Wink

Something else we discovered with fedex in dillingham. It does not go there. USPS picks up fedex in Anchorage and it comes in with the mail...when they get around to it. Tracking numbers show it is delivered, but that does not mean it is at the final destination. Our first time, we had to take a second tent and camping gear set-up on the flight as the shipped stuff was missing. It got there the day we did.

For shipping antlers, we purchased a shipping box from NAC(IIRC)that you must first build with tape/staples. These are big ( over 4'square) A bag to put the antlers in is also a good idea, otherwise maggots will be falling out when it gets home.(The shipper wrapped the heck out of our box to keep them in.) We then shipped them with NAC to Anchorage with our call tags, and they were picked up by the carrier from there.

Again, a little more hassel, but saved several $$.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redlander

I think your figures are pretty close. I would recommend you contact Bay Air out of Dillingham. They have given me great service and helped with a couple of B&C moose.

Not knowing your friends I can't say what their problems might have been but 6 people is way over the top for one Alaska camp. You can't help making too much disturbance and the animals just move off. Beer, steaks and big camp fires do not a moose get. Small camps and freeze dried food might net you a moose within 600 yards of your camp. I've done it more than once.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Yes, one of my friends from the first trip has been back several times and been very successful on caribou and blacktails and he says that the ideal party size is probably 3 people. Not doing moose - too much work. I'd love to do a guided hunt for one sometime, but I've got to work a (some) trip to the Dark Continent (THE BIG GOAL - 2008 or Bust), my wife and I will probably do a spring black bear/fishing - boat based trip in SE AK, and we are sort of intrigued with a Scottish Highlands stag hunt/castle touring trip. Many dreams, now I just hope her veterinary career will take off enough to make some of them come to fruition.

Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redlander,

You do realize that Africa is what we handle most, I have hunted on the boat hunts in SE for black bear and goat and I will be in the Scottish Highlands next year. If you would like to talk about any of this contact me anytime. This is not too early to formulate a plan for '08. I am working with 2 guys on safari plans for '08 right now. Talk costs you nothing.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote