THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Tok Sheep Tag! and Afognak Brown Bear Tag!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tok Sheep Tag! and Afognak Brown Bear Tag!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted
Hey if you didn't draw your tags, the Alaskan Bowhunters Association has be given two coveted Governors tags for auction at our banquet on April 15. You do not need be present to bid, and that sheep tag is in a prime area. PM me for info or post here.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in the Tok sheep tag and would like some info on the various outfitters that guide Tok sheep hunts, I would be happy to share what I know. There are some to avoid, and there are some outfitters that guide in the Tok that are absolutely some of the best at what they do.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
FYI. This tag usually sells for between $18,000 and $22,000 at most. Easily the cheapest auction sheep tag in NA.

Draw odds for this tag are about 1:300. Most sought after tag in the state.

Population is down, but some big rams still to be found. Any bigger than an OTC area with a reputable guide? Maybe that's why the price matches a guided hunt cost?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
There's some really good genetics in that area dogcat. Lance Krohnberger of Freelance Oudoors would certainly be at the top of the guide list for that area. If weather is favorable I would think getting a crack at a 40" ram is a real possibility with his outfit.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top of the guide list for the TMA?

Matt Snyder, hands down.

www.tokmanagementarea.com

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adventure907:

Matt Snyder, hands down.

+1

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Anybody know anything about the bears on Afognak?

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
PM responded, awaiting more info. Glad you guys are interested! I think last time that tag went for around $18k.

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Both tags are for this fall, the bear tag is DB263

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

Sure Brad. I haven't hunted them there, but I have some friends who have. Afognak is in the same archipelago with Kodiak and is located just a bit North. So similar genes, similar rich bear food, and similar high expectations for large bears as Kodiak. It would be reasonable to have a crack at a 9' plus bear. A friend was there last year or the year before and I believe they had 1 or 2 cracks at +9' bears. I'm sure there are some 10' bears around, but you can't count on getting one. That's all of course assuming you give it due time to be successful and the weather cooperates.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
quote:
Originally posted by Adventure907:

Matt Snyder, hands down.

+1

+1 - Matt and his family are as good as it gets. Check out his website, he has done alot of the Governor's tag hunts, they do well.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt Synder and his family are the absolute best if you are looking at hunting the TMA. They lived on the border of it and have been hunting it for darn near 50 years or more. No one knows it better.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, this Tok Governors Tag permit is being auctioned off in two days (April 15th) at the Alaska Bowhunters Association banquet. If you've ever dreamed of hunting the Tok, and the great genetics that Tok rams possess, buy this tag and get in touch with Matt Snyder.

As myself, and many others here have mentioned, he and his family are the best of the best when it comes to sheep guides. They are unmatched in their knowledge of the Tok Management Area, and above and beyond that, they are great, salt of the Earth people. Hunting with them has been a life changing experience for myself, and a pleasure I wish all serious sheep hunters could experience.

Good luck, and God bless!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

I took one of the largest bears ever to come off that Island.
What would you like to know ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Then it must've been a monster! Big bears on that island. Congrats

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote