Find
Notify
Tools

358 Win in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Anyone use, or know of someone that regulary hunts AK with a 358 Win? Although I have many favorite cartridges, the 358 is my real favorite. Smiler Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The 358 win has been on my wishlist for yrs it just never happened. I once loaded 100 225 Sierra'a in 338 cases for fireforming to 358 Norma specs, along the way a few caribou and a moose got involved, if there was a big difference because they were only going 2350fps it escaped me. I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 358 Win at any sane range including the biggest brown bears, 225 Np would get the nod for bears.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the flatlands of Michigan, I think the 358 would be ideal for AK. No flies on that chambering... thumb

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Anyone use, or know of someone that regulary hunts AK with a 358 Win? Although I have many favorite cartridges, the 358 is my real favorite. Smiler Lou

Model 70, Savage 99, Model 88, M/S---or ??
Inquiring minds--- Big Grin

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. I had a Savage 99 in 358 and hunted with it ..
A friend in Hoonah that hunts with one in a Ruger 77 ,and a friend in Sitka who uses a 358 in the Ruger Scout rifle ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Hal Waugh used one and claimed it was a fantastic cartridge for Kodiak bears

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many, many moons ago, I dated a girl from Alaska. Her Dad hunted the big bear with an '06 and 220 grain bullet ammo. He was gone when I met here, but she said he never encounterd any problems with the '06 not getting the job done on the big guys...

Don

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've allways been intriged by the .358 but I've never had one ether.
I shot blackbear,deer and buffalo with my .35 whelen and it works great. Not to mention a bunch of hogs down in Florida.
The load data I've seen for the ,358 is'nt far at all behind the whelen. I'd say it's close enough that the game woulden't know the differance.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the great responses. To me the 358 is a very versatile round and built it with black bear in mind, but never contemplated using it for brown bear. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't to overly impressed with the one I own on a 98 action fed find put I couldn't get it to shoot with into 3 inchs. I guess If I could have gotten it to shoot around 1.25 or so I would have kept it. But after trying several bullet weights and powders It was one of the few guns that I don't regret selling.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
A nice option for the 358 Win is the original Browning BLR lever actions before they made them lighter weight. Very strong action, real Browning quality back then, nice wood as well.

You can find them used in excellent shape for around $600 sometimes cheaper ... There are a few on gunbroker (none of them mine, if they were I'd keep them)

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful Marlin 336 in 35 Rem that I was going to have Noneman(sp) convert to 358, but ended up dumping it in a trade. Nicest wood on a Marlin I had ever seen. I have a beautiful Sako AII Deluxe in 22-250 I am thinking about rebarreling to 358. A Finnwolf would make a eat 358 lever gun. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:

I have owned 3 a 99A 358 & a neat Model 100 Win
in 358,and a Browning BLR in 358. Never hunted any of them but talked to an old bush Alaskan that hunted a 99 358 for years said it was a fine rifle.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big 358 fan, including a 357 Mag. Marlin 1894, 35 Rem. Marlin 336, 35 Whelen Savage 110, and a 358 STA Zastava Mauser. I've not got around to the 358 Win. version yet, but I've come close to several conversions over the years including a Nonneman convert of a 336 Marlin to .356 and actually buying a .308 Win. Rem. 600 for a 358 Win. rebarrel. Too bad the 308 shoots so good I can't give it up. Someday I'll get a 358 Norma barrel twisted up for my Savage 116 platform. There are other intriguing wildcats out there right now including a 358/308 Marlin coversion on a 336 action and a 358 Ruger on their 375/416 case. The latter would be an excellent reason to get more 275-300 gr. 358 big game bullets on the market.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me a Win model 88 carbine in .358 win, using those soft Hawk bullets, would be ideal.

Posts: 52 | Location: NC | Registered: 07 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge a 35 cal fan... have a 35 remington. 358 win mag, 35 whelen, and a 350 remy mag guide gun.

I searched and searched for my 358 win mag until I came across one of those stainless Browning BLR's in a .358 win. It's all weather and all purpose. It's actually my "Little" deer gun as it is the least powered rifle I own. I love it and wouldn't trade it for a winning lottery number. Depending on the load, it shoots plenty flat, and hits a ton. I've hunted mule deer and elk at good distances with it and have had great success. In fact, I use it more than any rifle I own.

I've never been grizz hunting, so I can't say, but it is an absolutely ideal pig gun.

Folks claim it's a "brush" gun, but loaded up with 200 grained bullets, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt sheep with it. Jack it up to 225 or 250 (250 u almost run out of case capacity) grained bullets, and I'm sure it would be great medicine for brown bear. I highly recommend it.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel_Klink:
For me a Win model 88 carbine in .358 win, using those soft Hawk bullets, would be ideal.

thumb thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an old Remington 788 that originally was a .243 converted to a 358 Win by Stan Jackson in Anchorage here. Has a Douglas Premium bbl on it and it shoots 1/2" groups with Sierra bullets. Everything else, it shoots 1 1/2 to 2" groups just like you'd think it should, go figure. I also had Stan do a 358 Norma Mag on a Montana Action w/a Douglas bbl also. That thing shoots 1 moa or less @ 100 yds everytime. I recently traded for a Ruger M77/MKII 350 Rem Mag. I love the 35 calibers. You can't beat them for Alaska. I'd love to hit a black bear w/that 358 Win tho. It's an old classic cartridge and very close to the 35 Whelen in power. I'd have no qualms about shooting a brownie with either one of them, esp the 358 Norma Mag.

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
In the next week or so I am sending Stan a Sako AV to have him swap the current 375 H&H barrel with a Sako Factory 416 Rem barrel and widen the barrel channel. Looking forward to having him do it. I have heard a lot of positive things about Stan's work. He also was very helpful on the phone and willing to get the work done while I was in Anchorage from the bush. Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a Savage 99 in this caliber. My BLR has been a solid performer on game.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I've got 338-06 and a 9.3x62 so a 35 Whelen always seemed to me to be "lilly guilding" to use Elmer Keiths phrase. But I can easily justify a 358 Win. I want one of the new stainless Ruger Hawkeyes, especially now that they don't look as bright as Excaliber. I will be very disappointed if I can't get it to group with Hornady's 250 gr round nose. We don't have great bears, but I think one would be comforting when you have to walk into some thick mesquite or weeds to see if the hog you shot that ran off is dead because you have to get pretty close to find out. Another plus with that load is it should have a similar trajectory to a 30-30, another fave of mine.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Here's one for $550. I have done business with this firm and found them to be excellent. Lou

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...ions.asp?User=667950

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here is my .358 Win, I haven't taken any game with it yet but from shooting it I wouldn't be afraid to use it on anything within 300 yards. I have a Whelen as well but I got a great deal on this Savage 99, can't wait to try it on some large game. I might even consider taking it to AK to hunt black bear in the future.

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, Doc.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 358win built on a styr 1912 action over at AK custom.

I love the 35's but something about the 358winny that I always wanted.

I think it would make a decent all around gun up here.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Joel, I know what you mean. I have already built two 358 Wins, and have a as new Sako AII Deluxe in 22-250 that's screaming to have a 358 screwed on it. Lou