THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Wood Bison To Be Reintroduced To Alaska After 100-Year Absence

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Bison To Be Reintroduced To Alaska After 100-Year Absence
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wood Bison To Be Reintroduced To Alaska After 100-Year Absence
BY: Daniel Xu + POSTED: 3/30/15

For the first time in over a century, Alaska will be home to a wild herd of wood bison. According to KTUU, a group of 100 bison have safely arrived in Shageluk from the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, where the animals were kept since they were first transported to the state in 2008. Now, the herd is awaiting release into the wild.

“We’ve been at this project for more than 23 years, for all practical purposes, but we only got the go ahead last October,” said Cathie Harms, a biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (DFG).

Wood bison are the largest land animals in North America and can weigh up to 2,000 pounds, beating out even the plains bison. Despite all their bulk, the animals were incapable of dealing with human expansion and by the start of the twentieth century became locally extinct in Alaska. Now the DFG is undergoing a grand experiment to bring them back, hoping to duplicate the department’s success with musk oxen—which now number in the thousands.

“Many Alaskans hope the same thing can happen with wood bison. These oversize cousins to the plains bison are the largest land animal in North America and still inhabit a few areas in western Canada,” the DFG wrote on its website. “Bob Stephenson, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Yukon Flats area biologist, began work on wood bison reintroduction in the early 1990s, in partnership with tribal councils and others. ADFG has found that wood bison restoration has broad appeal and is supported by Native groups, hunters, conservation organizations and biologists outside the department of Fish and Game. But times have changed since the days of the musk oxen restoration, and reintroducing wood bison to Alaska has met some surprising hurdles.”

Those hurdles, which included concerns from landowners who feared their property would be listed as critical habitat, locked up a small Canadian herd behind fences for years. According to the Associated Press, state and federal governments compromised by agreeing to label wood bison under an “experimental” status instead of as endangered, which means that land will not be listed under federal oversight. With that settled, the bison were cleared for transport.

The journey was a bumpy one, especially since the bison had to be stuffed inside cargo planes where trampling was a concern. Each C-130 Hercules could only fit just about a dozen adult wood bison and it took two flights a day for half a week until the bison arrived in Shageluk on Tuesday.

“Some of them trotted out,” Harms told the AP. “Some of them galloped out. Some of them made it all the way to the opposite end of the pen, as far away from people as they could get. Some of them stopped 15 feet from the box and started eating hay.”

The bison are slated to be released into the wild over the next few weeks.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Some anti-hunter will probably get an injunction against this.

I know it has been a huge fight for a long time. The antis don't want them reintroduced as they will be hunted.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry they stuck these bison in a area that's about as far from any one as they could. Plenty of timber, horrible ground access, super spendy to get to, they won't be hunted legally for a long time. That's not saying someone who lives out there don't snatch one up next fall or whenever they are released from their pens.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good news ,its so annoying that the antis would rather not see them there at all, if they are to be sustainably hunted in the future ,they just cannot comprehend, that sheep and cattle are not endangered because they are Managed !! and used !

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish you guys the success we had in Yukon.

Posts: 1796 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
They've been released in the Innoko area. No stopping them now. It's expected a limited hunt will be offered in 10 years.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It'll be cheaper to take the ferry to kodiak and just buy a bison.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They've been in captivity for a long time and are unafraid of people. Hopefully, poaching will not prevent growth of the herd.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
They've been in captivity for a long time and are unafraid of people. Hopefully, poaching will not prevent growth of the herd.

You don't really think the locals would pick them off do you?..... Wink

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

wait two years of legal hunting and you will see how the pen raised bison will move ...

Posts: 1796 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

You don't really think the locals would pick them off do you?..... Wink

I don't really, at last not in good numbers.

The buff have been dropped off out in Timbuktu. There are some or a few native villages out that way, but the area already has abundant big game, i.e., moose. Theres no one out there starving for game meat. In that area, the Fish and Game has done quite a good job of getting folks to accept good game management policies, so the idea of not poaching today in order to legally tag one in the future is already settled ideology. Additionally, poaching penalties are fairly steep, the villages are small and word travels fast, so most nobody wants to hazard something of that magnitude.

There will be some poaching and we'll probably read about the crime and convictions, but not on a herd eliminating scale.

I'd guess the area villages are pretty excited about the idea of at least potentially being able to ride out somewhere via skiff or snowmachine and see a herd of buffalo.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That's great news Scott, I really hope so.
I hear that they are releasing them in the Innoko. My brother and I did a drop Moose hunt on the Innoko several years ago I wonder where they would be released is it downstream from the Innoko Wildlife Refuge, Sleetmute?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
That's great news Scott, I really hope so.
I hear that they are releasing them in the Innoko. My brother and I did a drop Moose hunt on the Innoko several years ago I wonder where they would be released is it downstream from the Innoko Wildlife Refuge, Sleetmute?

Shagaluk apparently. I recently saw a video of the herd chasing a snowmachine loaded with bags of alfalfa pellets. 2020

Don't get me wrong, I'd expect or assume some poaching. Hypothetically, 2 or 5 teenagers out running Dad's skiff outta gas, come around a corner, there's 50 of them standing there and they've 7 AR-15's between the 5 of them,...........

The locals are likely very, very excited about the introduction. There's bound to be mass quantities of youtube video's posted, obnoxiously redundant Facebook posts, Instagram pictures that after the first hundred dozen all look the same. New babies born in the village will now have some serious internet competition.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Shagaluk apparently. I recently saw a video of the herd chasing a snow machine loaded with bags of alfalfa pellets. 2020

Scott,

They needed to get them across the Innoko asap before it melts. One of the potential challenges with if the herd failed to cross and ended up on USF&W land it could cause problems.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Shagaluk apparently. I recently saw a video of the herd chasing a snow machine loaded with bags of alfalfa pellets. 2020

Scott,

They needed to get them across the Innoko asap before it melts. One of the potential challenges with if the herd failed to cross and ended up on USF&W land it could cause problems.

Brett

No doubt, you of course see the obvious 2020 in "wild animals" chasing snowmachines loaded with alfalfa pellets.

I'm certain pheasants started the same way, turkeys and elk too, but it does seem awkward to present wild bison that rally to the dinner bell.

I think I'd rather see Kevin Cosner chasing our buffalo over the prairie than the buffalo chasing pell mell after an Arctic Cat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bison in a Hercules ? Now that could be an interesting experience. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nothing but best wishes for these magnificent animals.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16530 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall in Charley Askin's book, him taking woods bison with a M1 Garand while on Northern duty. ?
Don't have the book at hand to look it up.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On June 17, 2008, 53 Canadian wood bison were transferred from Elk Island National Park in Alberta, Canada, to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center near Anchorage, Alaska.[10] There they were to be held in quarantine for two years, and then re-introduced to their native habitat in the Minto Flats area near Fairbanks, but this plan was still on hold[11][12] until 7 April 2015.[13] In May 2014, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published a final rule allowing the reintroduction of a "non-essential experimental" population of wood bison into three areas of Alaska. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game expects to start introducing the first animals to the Innoko River area in western Alaska in spring 2015. The new regulation will take effect June 6.

Feel free to send us a thank you card. Wink But then, we sent you wolves and you're still bitchin. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Thank You for the Wood Bison. Very generous of you.

Actually you sent Yellowstone the wolves, not Alaska. A few years back, our distinguished Congressman, Don Young, offered to export a bunch of our Alaskan wolves to any place that wanted them, but there were no takers. I can't figure out why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... offered to export a bunch of our Alaskan wolves to any place that wanted them, but there were no takers ...

When I suggest ideal locations for wolf repopulation are Griffith Park in Los Angeles, and Central Park in New York people think I'm kidding. If you claim to be an "environmentalist", then you need to put up or shut up.

BTW, Thank you for the Wood Bison.

Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knowing wolves as we north Americans do, picture them in Germany. Wink They're still in the awe struck stage.

Grizz