Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou Hunting Gear (Tents)?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
I am in the beginning stages of planning for a drop-off DIY caribou hunt in mid-September of 2006 - thus over the next few months I will be spending money on equipment. The hunt will be me and a friend and we're probably going to have to keep our pack weight to 50lbs or less due to weight restrictions of the plane. I also don't have all the money in the world, but I don't want to skimp too much. I've pretty much settled on a Kifaru Long Hunter backpack because they claim custom fitting and I've got a crooked back. Next on my list is the tent. Has anyone tried the Eureka Apex 3XTA - how did it perform? Would I be better off spending the extra money and carrying the extra weight for a North Face VE 25? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If I get this done, I'll post a complete gear list with weights and photos.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello-
How far do you intend to walk with your pack? I've been on several Sheep, Caribou and Moose fly-in hunts and usually we camped within 300 yards of the airstrip or the closest water, also usually close to the strip.
Tundra in Alaska is difficult walking at best. I don't think you'll want to go very far fully loaded except when packing meat back to camp. Just my .02.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the Eureka, but the North Face VE 25 has a proven record up here. Just realize that you'll be in an area that doesn't have trees, and you should plan for high winds and rain. A vestibule is essential.

Dittos on the walking on tundra comment. It is hard to describe what walking on tundra is like. I guess kinda like walking on sand, but much less stable. Make sure your boots have good ankle support. Trekking poles are a good idea, they stabalize you as you hike, and double as shooting sticks.

A good outfitter/transporter will be flying you in right by where your camp will be. The only heavy packing you should have to do is caribou meat and antlers.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Though I haven't been to Alaska myself, I've a couple of friends that have been. As far as walking on tundra they say it's like walking on carpet with bowling balls underneath.

My main concern is that my friends have been on planes where their weight limit was about 100 lbs per person and I am considering a couple of outfits that fly superCubs and I've been told 50 lbs plus my rifle is the limit - so it doesn't matter whether I pack the tent far or not. I'm just trying to strike a balance between weight and durability/stability.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm another one that suggests you reconsider how far you'll set up base camp from where you get dropped off. We've always been able to set up camp within 400 yards of the airstrip or lake, and hunting was done from there. I'd suggest a bigger tent, like the Cabela's Alaskan Guide model dome. It can be heated a bit, and getting in out of the wind after a long day of hunting is something to really be appreciated. The weather will be a mix of everything, so be prepared. Frankly, I'd add in a half-dozen collapisble aluminum poles and a plastic tarp or two, simply to make a cook shelter. You'll want to keep that separate from the tent just in case a griz wanders by following its nose.

The Kifaru packframe to tote quarters and antlers is a good one. Depending on where you go, you might have to pack out the ribs, too, so read the regulations closely. Most places, you can't bone the meat in the field (and that occasionally means the ribs, too) so you'll be packing a fair amount of stuff that you'll trim and toss later. Remember that you aren't allowed to bring the antlers back to camp until after all the meat has been packed in.

With that in mind, before you begin packing, cut the skull plate off the carcass and set the antlers aside. That way, if a griz wanders up on the carcass while you're packing, the antlers won't get carried off with the rest of the carcass. I prefer to quarter it all out first, so any griz isn't likely to walk off with all quarters (although I saw 2 griz on a hunt a couple of years ago that camped on another hunter's pile of quarters until they were all eaten or ruined).

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
I am considering a couple of outfits that fly superCubs and I've been told 50 lbs plus my rifle is the limit .

You might want to reconsider that, because it may be a false economy. If you fly the smaller planes in, that also means that they can't take much of a load out. Given that one 'bou will be a plane load, you're looking at a second flight in to fetch the 'bou, and more, if you shoot more than one. The Beaver costs more, but often totals less because it can haul you, your gear, and your caribou in one flight. Unless you've got somebody who knows of a wee honey-hole where giant bulls can be reliably found, a Beaver on floats could be the better choice. Another vote in their favor is that they fly better in stinking weather than the littler planes do, and you can never rule out stinking weather.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Any suggestion? I've been e-mailing back and forth with 40-Mile Air, but I'm still several months away from a firm decision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to get on the phone to the AK Fish & Game and start talking. Most everybody with a gripe gets ahold of the F&G eventually, so they tend to keep "Santa's list" (naughty & nice). If you aren't sure what general region you want to hunt, start at the HQ. Their website will have all the necessary numbers.

Oh, yeah, on the boots. If you have good circulation and robust ankles, wear canvas sneakers. It lets the water in, then back out and it beats steaming your feet soft in heavy (or rubber) boots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in and add a few list items that I found very valuable. Duct tape and a water purifyer. I would definately NOT skimp on the tent. High winds will either shred a lesser tent or bend the poles like pretzels. You might try Ebay for a used Moss tent but I would like every one else suggested make sure you know how far you are going to hike before you make any choice on tent weight. The cub should get in more remote areas but you can be sure it will cost more in the end if you plan on taking antlers and meat. If you have never flown in a little plane like that it will be an eye opener. I honestly do not feel I could get my gear in a super cub in a single trip.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown with 40 mile air on two hunts. One sheep and one moose. Lief is good people. You can count on seeing good animals with 40 mile Air. Depending on where they take you you'll be around one of two LARGE Caribou herds, the Porcupine or the 40-mile herds so it should be fun. Good luck.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Redlander
Double check with 40 mile air on the bou hunt.
When I talked to them,the bou they were hunting
were on a quota.When the quota is filled the
hunt ends.Chances were by the time I got there
the hunt would be over.I did not know they hunted the porcupine herd too.

On tents,I like the low profile type.
Garuda
Mountain Hardware
Marmot
Sierra Designs
try
http://www.campmor.com/
http://www.backcountrygear.com/index.cfm
http://www.northernmountain.com/

Like most of the guys pointed out,you should be
able to camp a couple hundred yards from the
air strip.

At your kill site,quarter the animal...then move
everything a couple hundred yards from the kill
site.That way a grizz will most likely go to
the gut pile and leave your meat alone.Then
pack it back to camp.

Good luck,DIY bou hunting is a favorite of mine.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red:
Just to kinda add to what some of the others have written, I'm gonna stick my nose in.
Firstly, on the tent. Rergardless of what you get, make sure it's high quality. El cheapo doesn't cut it here. Also, if it's listed as being designed for 2 people, you can bet your bottom dollar it ain't. Get a 3 man instead. If the weather sets in, you don't want to be stuck in a small, cramped space for an extended period of time. My mountain tent is designed for 3 people & weighs about 8 1/2 lbs. The next smaller model (advertised as a 2 man) weighed around 4-5 lbs. as I recall. My partner & I are both kinda big and I was looking for a tent to take on a 2 week sheep hunt into the Brooks Range. Even though it weighed more, I opted for the heavier, 3 man model. I'm sure glad I did since we flew in during bad weather & then couldn't really go anywhere for about 2 days. On top of that, I had a bad cold & was confined to my sleeping bag for an entire day.
Secondly, regarding boots. The interior of Ak. is very wet. Leather boots in any form don't cut it. Leather WILL get wet & you'll never get 'em dry. I'm going against the norm here but highly recommend your typical knee high rubber boots. I wear 2 pair of socks in them - 1 light & 1 heavy (wool). I put a felt insole in the bottom (take a couple of extra pr.) then put a QUALITY arch support on top of the insole. By using an arch support, you can walk quite well all day long. My arch supports are made by Danner & I get 'em here in Fbks. You could take an extra pair of low cut camp shoes (again rubber) for wear around camp.
As far as bush planes go, I heartily recommend what others have posted above regarding the use of a larger plane. I've never flown with 40 Mile but have heard nothing but good things of them. Not sure but I don't think they have a Beaver but most certainly, they'll have a 185 or 206. Seriously look into chartering one of these, probably a 185 would be fine. If you do get an animal down, you'll be paying for multiple flights in a Supercub. Ak. game regs are very specific about taking ALL of the edible meat out and this includes meat from the ribs & neck.
Finally, as an aside, I'd make sure to take a roll of visqueen (plastic sheeting) in lieu of a light tarp. It's cheap, light weight, extremely strong & you can cut it to fit your needs. Take a few extra tent stakes with you in case you need stakes & there is no wood in your area. Get the visqueen in at least a 6 mil thickness & use it for your ground cloth for the tent or use it to make a covered area for cooking & getting out of the weather. BTW, to tie the ends of the visqueen down, use a rock and roll it in the visqueen then tie it down.
I've written a lot, hope some of this helps. Have fun & enjoy. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
On my solo caribou hunt, I went with the 4 season Cadence 3 Exponet Series tent by the COLEMAN trade mark sofa

It work for me for seven days - 3 days which had blowing snow at the 2600 foot level and temps that got down to 12 degrees. The best thing I like about a manageable 4 season tent is you can move the whole tent set up in one piece if your in a hurry to move to another location in minutes verses having to break it down. Worked for me.

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redlander, I suggest you go to the site of Buck Nelson, who "goes it alone" hunting caribou in the same area you want to hunt. He's lived in Alaska for many years, is a 20 years "smokejumper" and has lots of hunting experience out in the bush. His DVD "700 Miles Alone By Pack and Raft," is excellent.

http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska.html

He also will answer any of your questions by e-mail.

Just a suggestion.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leanwolff:
Redlander, I suggest you go to the site of Buck Nelson, who "goes it alone" hunting caribou in the same area you want to hunt. He's lived in Alaska for many years, is a 20 years "smokejumper" and has lots of hunting experience out in the bush. His DVD "700 Miles Alone By Pack and Raft," is excellent.

http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska.html

He also will answer any of your questions by e-mail.

Just a suggestion.

L.W.

Thanks for the website. I've just got the DVD in, but I haven't watched it yet.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
If you're already buying a Kifaru pack, why not just go ahead and get the tipi as well?

I was on an outfitted caribou hunt two years ago. The outfitter gave us one of Cabela's "Alaskan Guide Series" tents. The first night, 40+ mph winds leveled the tent and I ended up physically holding it up through the night (the wind was also driving the rain right through the fly). The second night, the wind came up again with the same result, except that a couple of the poles finally snapped.

If nothing else, go for a heavy duty mountaineering tent with a low profile. Those winds can get brutal out there!

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
testing...

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red:
Apologize for posting a 2nd comment but didn't have the info on the tent I alluded to in my post above & wanted to provide a URL.
My tent is an made by MSR and is the Fusion 3 style. Go here to get a look:

http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/fusion3.asp

MSR (Mountain Safety Research)is located in or near Seattle I believe and they severely test everything they make. If it doesn't work, they won't sell it. They are all mountain climbers so.....
Believe me, this tent will stand up to 40 mph wind. One interesting thing, you erect it with the entrance facing into the wind. As the wind picks up, the structural poles dig into the ground & hold even better. HTH some.
Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank all those that replied, e-mailed, and PM'ed with all the excellent advice. Be sure that it will be headed and that I will post how things go.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I flew out of Bettles AK and went up into the Arctic circle about 150 to 170 miles from Bettles. We did a drop hunt and we need everything to sustain us for 10 days. We all had about 100 Lb each of gear. Tents, sleeping bags, clothing, guns, and MRE's for food. Water we pumped and filtered from a lake. 50 lbs is not much for a drop hunt. Bettles Aviation had smaller plains and Beavers, so we were able to carry the extra weight in the Beaver. But this year they will have an Otter, and it will help in what we can pack in and carry out. You may want to find an air service with a little bigger plane. JMHO Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I have done the drop hunt many times about 60miles southeast of PRUDHOE BAY and I can't emphsize enough the importance of a top quality tent and Sleeping bag I used and still do The noth face VE-25 and highly recomend it Stakes don't work well in the tundra and VE-25 will do the job under harsh conditions

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote