THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Sorry if a repeat. A 9 y/o girl kills a record bear.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry if a repeat. A 9 y/o girl kills a record bear.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recieved this in a email. Any truth?

quote:
New World Record Brown Bear Taken By 9 year old girl!
>
> Yes, this girl did shoot the bear.
>
> This 9 year old girl from the Yukon killed the new world record
brown
> bear on the Alaskan Peninsula in October, 2006. Skull size 33 1/16",
> 11' 9" nose-to-tail. Estimated weight of 1,800 Lbs.
>
> It was the girls first-ever bear hunt!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a repeat thats been going around for some time now, not a record, she was using a 375 ouch and ouch, which in and of itself is amazing and no, it dont weigh no 1,800lbs but it is a great trophy for ANY hunter especially a nine year old girl.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that "Fern"? There are about 25 pictures just like that one on the wall at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage with all sorts of trophy animals with that kid in the picture. If you ask me it's a shame that a Father would let a kid so young take so many trophy animals, what is she gonna be able to look forward to as an adult? What ever happened to bringin' a kid squirrel or rabitt hunting? What a shame.... Frowner

- Clint

Posts: 35 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's Fern. Skull wasn't 33" though...

Was a bit over 28" if I recall correctly. Was a big ol' bear. I'd be tickled to death with it. I'm happy for her, sho' nuff.

She's also taken Marco Polo sheep...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Good old (er young) Fern.

I guess daddy being a booking agent and outfitter doesn't hurt.

I think she should have had a few more years on her, but I guess that's up to her parents to decide.

The funny thing about Fern, is that she has killed more game than about 90% of the people on AR.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskacajun:
Is that "Fern"? There are about 25 pictures just like that one on the wall at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage with all sorts of trophy animals with that kid in the picture. If you ask me it's a shame that a Father would let a kid so young take so many trophy animals, what is she gonna be able to look forward to as an adult? What ever happened to bringin' a kid squirrel or rabitt hunting? What a shame.... Frowner

- Clint

Good for Fern, what a Fantastic Childhood that young lady is having Big Grin What a bunch of jealous dickweeds some are animal

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..........Short of heaven .I don,t know if it gets any better than , [ an upside down brown bear , a 375 and a 9 year old girl ......]]]] But Right in there is the pic of a , I think 8 year old boy with a crumpled up monster on the beach with his 45/70 shooting 540 gr Hammer heads.........,;'][ JMHO ...RIGHT ON dancing thumb salute I hope they each get to see my post .. My hat,s truley off to them ......and all others like them......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
These same photos are in Dennis Harms' new brochure for Kodiak Island. the bear was over 29" and she killed it with a 308 Win. ( Which is no suprise to experienced Alaskan bear hunters who understand that bullet placement and performance trump bore size and excess horsepower every time )

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

That is the famous "Fern". She shoots a 375H&H better than most adults on this forum. This is her article she wrote about that bear:

http://www.larryrivers.com/girls%20brown%20bear.htm

This is Larry's article about "Fern".

http://www.larryrivers.com/starting_at_the_top.htm

I keep photos and articles about "Fern" over my 7 year old daughter's bunk at our cabin. My daughter looks up to "Fern" as a role model. I think many adults could look up to "Fern" as a role model as well.

GVA

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Gary, I remember seeing Larry's article on Fern's hunt on the web last winter but the story I saw claimed it was a 13 foot bear with a 33 1/2 inch skull - which I knew was total BS. I just received a brochure from Dennis Harms with photos of another huge bear ( 10'10", 29 inch skull) shot by Brooke Terkovitch with a 308. Brooke appears to be similiar in age to Fern and I know Dennis to be honest in his measurements. The chances of two pre-pubescent girls shooting B&C bears in one year was pretty small so I assumed this one was the one taken by Dennis' client. Looks like I was wrong.
Congratulations to both girls.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wish I could have done something like that when I was 9. but unfortunately my Daddy didn't have the contacts or money to do so.

good on her. jumping