New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bull on the Nush
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A lot of you fellow AK hunters know that I moved north from Colorado to Anchorage in January so still considered non-resident status with ADF&G. So I was not going to pay 400.00 for a moose tag, anyway a good friend of mine Paul Peyton who works down the hall from me asked if I would like to go moose hunting out of Dillingham up the Nushegak, so as any huntn fool would do of course I said yes. So we flew into Dillingham on the 7th which started to be some of the best weather you could ask for, flew to camp out of Portage Creek grabbed the skiff and away we go. Well immediately it dawned on me that there were very few higher look outs and we were seeing lots of moose sign going in and out of the slues so I started to implement some of my African and Colorado hunting tactics of climbing trees. Got sore climbing trees but four trees later spotted a good bull Paul made a great shot 119 yds off of my wood shooting sticks and had a nice bull on the ground on the 8th. So for the next few days I don't know if I was sore from climbing trees or cutting and packing the meat, probably a combination of both. A big bodied bull we had 455 lbs of boned meat minus one side of ribs a village dog pulled off the meat pole. Bull was a respectable 55 1/4 inches. To top it off the same day after hanging the meat up I sat down at camp and did some glassing and spotted two bulls together, one would have been easily 55-60 inches with one that might have been legal, go figure, anyway as Arnold would say, 'I'll be back" and until then I'll be sittin on the front porch cleaning my gun. Scott is going to post some pics for you to enjoy. Thanks Scott!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post

If this works I am impressed. I think I've stretched my computer skills to the ragged edge.

Climbing trees is a neat trick and I used that one too this year. We were into a good herd of cows with no bull in sight and I went about ten feet up in order to see him over the top of the willows. Funny part was on the way back down the tree itself broke and I ended up flat on my back.

Glad you got out this way Dirk and I'm very happy you were sucessful.

Posts: 9463 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt Dirk!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt.If it take climbing trees to spot a moose,I am screwed. Frowner

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should have bough a tag even at 400 dollars its bargain. There is no way I would go to the Dillingham area during hunting season with out a moose tag in my pocket. I am just not wired that way. Other than that looks like you are going to have some good eats any way! Sounds like you had a blast never the less.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Semel:
I think you should have bough a tag even at 400 dollars its bargain. There is no way I would go to the Dillingham area during hunting season with out a moose tag in my pocket. I am just not wired that way. Other than that looks like you are going to have some good eats any way! Sounds like you had a blast never the less.

Actually George, in the Dillingham area unit 17C there is no open moose season for non-residents, so I was the designated packer in this situation not by choice.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is Chris Carr doing up in Portage Creek? I've been up the Nushegak and the Iwifla with him before.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if you took off from Portage Creek you must have run into Chris or his wife Liona
Did you rent the boat from him.
I called him the other day he had bad weather on his hunt he was guiding.
He was way up the Nush.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good hunt, Dirk. Valuable lessons learned for the future! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
How is Chris Carr doing up in Portage Creek? I've been up the Nushegak and the Iwifla with him before.

Jon and Larry, never had a chance to meet Chris he was guiding some clients up river, Liona got us set up with the skiff and camp on day one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirk
Good deal Chris is a fun guy. Jon and I spent a few weeks with him hunting bears a few years ago.
We have become good friends over the years. Will go back to visit him again. Told him when I retired from hunting I would spend my last Hunt in Alaska with him.
Great day's ahead
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote