New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 RUM for coastal brown bear ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am I going to be undergunned if I take my .300 RUM brown bear hunting on the coast of Alaska ? If not, which bullet (brand, style, weight) should I use ? Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
frankly, my preference would be a bigger caliber. However, I believe that with a 200 grain barnes or nosler partition it would work fine.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have shot all of 1 brown bear. But a hyoer velocity 300 magnum would not be my first choice.

I think something bigger then 35 caliber, something heavier than 250 grns, and something around 2500+ fps is the right medicine.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank ----- How are your nerves, because it all depends on that. I took my 91/2 ft. Brown Bear near Cold Bay with a .300 Winny loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions. One shot kill square in his heart with him standing facing me, he fell like a tree. With his fall three more Bears stood (unknown to my hunt party of four until then) to see what the noise was all about. Long story short we killed two more Bears (8 ftrs) and the fourth left with gusto. I gained a ton of respect for the power and tenachiousness for life for the big Bears that day. The next time I went to big Bear country I was packing a .340 Wby and now it is a .358 STA. Personally I would go bigger if you can shoot bigger, or remain with the .300 Ultra if you shoot it well using the heavier bullets, and once again considering your nerves. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
The 300 RUM will work fine. Bullet selection is critical, select a premium bullet (Hawk, North Fork, Swift, Barnes TSX) in a heavy weight 200 grs. My choice would either be the North Fork or Swift A-Frame.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I think something bigger then 35 caliber, something heavier than 250 grns, and something around 2500+ fps is the right medicine.

My 9.3x62 with 285 grs bullets would do fine then.

Good to know I already have the gun... now I need the hunt! ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've changed my choice, and am going with a .338 Win. Mag. Any comments on that choice ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, you cant go wrong with a 338winny. the 300 ultra is fine but the 338 is better.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Frank, In answer to your question - NO, you will not be "undergunned" with a 300 Ultra for any bear. I would highly recommend the stoutest bullet you can buy though as bear hunting, like any other dangerous game hunting correctly done, is not a long range affair.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great choice!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank:

You were half right both times.... only make it a 338 RUM...... now you got the best of both worlds. You have a heavier bullet, better sectional density, and velocity.

I am building a custom brown bear rifle. Going with 338 RUM, 700 action, SS Shilen barrel, and McMillan stock.

I love my 300 RUM and have taken over 14 African Plains game with it, from the little guys to Giraffe.

But for big Browns, I feel better with a 250 grain bullet moving at high speed. Wink

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use your 300 Ultra Mag.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 300 rum with 200 grain swift a-frame or nosler partition will do fine as will a 338 win with a 225 / 250 grain quality bullet.

Get close, inside 100 yards or less, make a good first shot clap- certainly the adrenaline will be pumping thumb

Good luck, stay safe.
KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
I've changed my choice, and am going with a .338 Win. Mag. Any comments on that choice ?

Excellent choice!! 250g @ 26-2700fps barnes X or Nosler Part. will do you just fine!! clap

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try out your 338 Win mag with these!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.p...h=40&products_id=179

Thst oughts leave a mark!

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either the .300 Ultra, or the.338 Win. Mag. would work fine. You should take the rifle that you feel most comfortable with. I would use the Nosler Partition for my bullet choice.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the grand slam 250gr with 68gr of IMR-4350 for the .338wm.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you decided to go with the 338 Winnie (an excellent choice), load up some 225-grain Swift A-Frame bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank ----- Knowing how particular you are about your rifles and the bullets you use, consider the 225 and 240 grain North Fork bullets. They are deadly in my rifles and with the solid shank and bonded core frontal section they are the best of all worlds. Excellent accuracy and tough as hell. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat - I think the North Forks would be a good choice ..... I'm going to pick up some in Dallas this coming January.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only on the internet are 300mags too light for bears...

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh make a 240 gr Protected point bullet in .30 cal I reckon the Rum would drive it at 2700-2800 fps, would have excellent sd and penetrate well kind of like a giant 6.5x55.

Keep in mind I have NO exp. with bear but I do won a .300 RUM.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAk:
Only on the internet are 300mags too light for bears...

Yup.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The 338 Winnie is a great choice. I would shoot a 250 grn premium bullet

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people- don't know- that they don't know. and they still don't figure it out after they loose an animal
your guide probably wont be packin a 30
and hey wouldnt it be nicer if all the holes in the hide were yours
stick with the 338

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd worry more about the bullet and where i put it, than the caliber I was shooting....

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Certainly a 300 RUM is enough for big bears, but for the same level of recoil, a 338 win mag would be a better choice.

250 gr @ 2700 fps don't put too much strain on the bullet up close, and there is a good sized bullet to open up and penetrate.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

When are you going, I may have your 375 ready by then.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
If useing a lead core preminm then 200 grain bullet is a good choice,but with a monolithic expanding bullet like the GS Custom or the Barnes TSX,I would not go over 180 grains..... beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
but with a monolithic expanding bullet like the GS Custom or the Barnes TSX,I would not go over 180 grains..... beer

Not trying to be contrary, but why not?

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

I don't have an answer from personal experience but Gerard Shultz (GS Custom) writes at length on this subject of using projectiles lighter than convention. If I understand him correctly, it's basically because you can reduce recoil, improve trajectory, and increase hit potential by using a lighter slug and gainsuperior terminal ballistics with modern designs. Maybe this is what jwp475 is alluding to?

(no snide tone intended)

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
FWIW, a friend and I both shot 9footers here on Afognak last spring. He's a one-gun hunter and his '06 with factory Federal Premium 180 Partitions did just fine - not much different than my hand loaded .338WinMag with 250Partitions.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
but with a monolithic expanding bullet like the GS Custom or the Barnes TSX,I would not go over 180 grains..... beer

Not trying to be contrary, but why not?

The added lenght makes them more likely to tumble after impact.I have seen this happen when shooting into wet News paper.The 180's tend to penetrate as well and often better than the heavier lead core bullets in what I have seen both in shooing game (with 180's) and in wet news paper.......I have seen very good results on game with the 168 and 180 grain TSX bullets.A friend of mine shot an Asian Buffalo with the 180 TSX out of a 300 RUM with Execekent results.....And I have shot about 15 Head of game with the 180 out of a 300 Win, Also with excelent results.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Frank, In answer to your question - NO, you will not be "undergunned" with a 300 Ultra for any bear. I would highly recommend the stoutest bullet you can buy though as bear hunting, like any other dangerous game hunting correctly done, is not a long range affair.

If I were going on the Bear hunt, I'd be paying a lot of attention to what 458Win says. He's lived in Alaska for a long time, and hunts Bears, and guides Bear hunts there too.
The issue I would have with the 338 Win Mag is ability to shoot the rifle accurately, and under pressure when the BIG bear comes along. The 338Win mag in the wrong hands is wrong medicine. There are those who can shoot that recoiling monster well, but not me. And, according to another Alaskan Guide, a bunch of other once in a lifetime Bear hunters can't handle that round too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PWS,

Those are some impressive bears! Nice pic. Was that hunt from the spring of 2007? Guided or you resident?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338 is a better option with 250, 275 or 300 gr. premium bullets.

be safe.

Cold Zero