New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Goat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend me a good outfitter for mountain goat in AK?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Howdy,
Hunted with this Outfit in October just gone.
No hesitations to recommend:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/729107953

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, trakernz thumb I'll drop them an email to see what they offer.

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up alaskacoastalhunting.com. Great guide

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it alaska that you want to go to. I think BC has better Goats. I killed a 10" x 10 1/4 " with
6" bases in BC 2 years ago. Grate outfitter.
The area is known for big goats.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
b93;

who was the outfitter? Confused

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again FWIW I hunted goat in October/05 with Tom Vince of Turnagain Adventures in northern British Columbia. My partner shot a 5 year old billie with 9 1/2 inch horns and I shot an 11 year old billie with 10 1/8 inch horns.
The country was actually quite easy to get around in,more like steep foothills than the cliffs you usually think of for mountain goat.Beautiful unspoiled country,an ethical and honest outfitter and lots of big goats. I highly recommend this outfitter.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Bruce Parker runs a good show and has plenty of nice Goats.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Bharal76

The best area for Mountain goat in my opinion is Taku Safaris area in Northern British Columbia. Their web page is http://www.takusafari.com/ .

I hunted with them a few years ago and shot a B&C goat.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think with the last 6 or 7 mild winters on the South SE Alaska coast, that area and just inland in BC is going to turn some very nice Goats in the next season.

2 years ago we took 4 Goats, the 4 1/2 year olds had better horn growth that the 6 1/2 year olds did.

The key to a B&C scoring Goat is the first 2 1/2 years growth. Then genitics and minerals ... IMHO

The population of Goats along the South SE AK coast is at a very high density, right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments, Johnnie...

Makes a hunter feel hopefull....<grin>

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikael took this 4 1/2 year old this last Sept and it is 9 9/16 in length with 5 9/16 bases. Bobby estimated it's on the hoof weight at over 200 lbs.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Holy crap!! Is that blue sky jn the background and sun on that guy's face?

Johnnie - Over on the Alaska Hunting Forum you said that you required all you clients to wear corked boots. I just had a pair of Meindls corked this past hunting season. I wore them on an August alpine deer hunt. They were great until I got way above tree line. Rock and Talus were a bitch (to say the least.) Coming down thru the vegetated talus with the loaded pack was not much fun - about 800 vertical of hell. I'm still debating the pros and cons of these boots.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes .... MM we did get a few day of sun. Not many, but it's nice when you are in position to take advantage of it.

I have worn corks for many years. Many hunters around here use them. Probably from being in the west coast logging region.

I have had repeat deer hunters (on Prince of Wales) and most come back with corks for thier second hunt.

I like the way Primo Ed (primo expeditions) says it to his hunters .... "wana go where I go get corks!!!"

My Goat bow hunters have usually taken them off for the final stalk. Mainly because of the noise not any footing problem.

Johnnie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aziz;

congrats on a great goat.

however, myself and 2 friends also hunted with taku safaris a couple of years ago and none of the three of us would reccomend them to anyone.

glad your experience was different than ours.

Cold Zero