New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Protection... Again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you experts think of the 44 Mag Lever rifle as a Bear protection gun.

I have had 3 different 44 Mag rifles over thre years.

The one I have now is a Winchester Trapper with the 16"bbl.

It is very short light and handy.

With proper ammo, I think it would have the penetration necessary to do the job.

The recoil is very low and they hold 8 or 9 rounds.

I bought this 44 as a "camp gun" for my wife when we hunted in Montana.

I bought a Marlin 45/70 for me.

The 45/70 is gone, I still have the 44 Mag.

I also like the 44 for a "road gun" when traveling as it is not as "evil" as 223 or 308 paramilitary rifles, yet still has a little firepower, plenty of "thump" and penetrates well.

All in all I think the 44 Lever makes a pretty good rifle to have "around".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who had one converted to handle the garret 44 loads. It would definately be better than a sharp stick if it where to come to it. I regularly carry a 44 revovler with 300gr hard cast loads while fishing and hunting. I think it will do as good as anything else up close.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
With stiff, hard cast bullets a determained, cool headed person with one should be perfectly safe from un-provoked bears.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
With stiff, hard cast bullets a determained, cool headed person with one should be perfectly safe from un-provoked bears.

458Win
If the bear is un-provoked why would you need a firarm for selfdefense?

DR B

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
quote:

458Win
If the bear is un-provoked why would you need a firarm for selfdefense?

DR B

I think that commonly means not harrased or shot poorly, like a guide would deal with.

I don't think the 16" barrel on your trapper will be legal in Canada, I think they consider 18" the limit for carbines. Just thought I would mention this since it's between Texas and Alaska.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Mr. T

You know I'm a proponet of a .44 revover as a bear protection gun while fishing or what ever. I especialy like your mountain gun.

Your trapper will do anything and more than a revolver so I can't say it won't work. It will.

I think if I were to carry a rifle though I'd prefer something a little heavier. How much heavier and bulky is a marlin guide gun compared to your trapper?

Winchester did chamber the 94 in .444 and 450 Marlin for a short run. Although their collectors items now one of these cut down to a trapper would be the ticket and maybe not much heavier than your .44 trapper

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts of the 44 Mag rifle would be mainly for people not accustomed to heavy recoil, might even be non hunters, wives, and fisherman.

They might practice enough with the 44 to effective.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy up north uses a 44-40 for griz, moose and caribou hunting. its also his camp gun. Worked for him for the last 42 years.

Is the 44mag carbine a perfect bear gun? I dont think so but will it work? yup.

I personally would like something bigger but if its what you got and you can use it...go for it.
Chances are you wont use it anyway.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
If I had my "druthers" I would never/ever shoot a Brown Bear with a 44 mag. You might piss him off. I would shoot a Black bear with one. If you shoot a Brown Bear anywhere but in the head with a 44 Mag., He will munch on you until he eventually expires.
Before I would use a 44 Mag., I'd get a 30-30. Check the reloading manuals for a comparison of energy and velocity.
I've got a couple 50 AEs that we use for tent guns. I would hesitate to use them on a Brown Bear unless he was crunching on my foot.
Get yourself a 12 gauge shotgun.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think all too often folks rely on fire power rather than using what should be their first line of defense...their brain.

MG

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
TJ,

I'm sure you read the Anchorage Daily News article from last fall regarding my friend here in Dillingham that killed a charging brown bear point blank with his .44 revolver.

I think he'll be carrying the same revolver this fall.

Posts: 9217 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MG,

Absolutely right!!

Your bear/whatever backup gun is secondary to your personal behavior and actions.

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I still think carrying a shotgun for bear protection is the way to go but when hiking and fishing I don't like the extra weight. So I sold my 1300 Defender and bought a Ruger New Super Blackhawk in 44 mag to carry instead. With 320 grain Core-Bons it should be deadly at close range.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
MG,

Absolutely right!!

Your bear/whatever backup gun is secondary to your personal behavior and actions.
You're right. So say Mr ex-Treadwell. Wink

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
camp gun is a 12g w/00buck,sidearm is a 45 auto

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess what I never understood in my years in bear country was why would a guy that hunted bear with 338 or other medium heavy rifle carry a pee shooter for close range protection. I would think the direct opposite in that at normal hunting ranges you could be pretty confident that a 30-06 or whatever would do the trick in the hands of a good rifleman but at close range you might need all the horsepower you could muster. I carried my 458 when camping or fishing and felt pretty comfortable with it.

I'm also sure in the hands of a very cool head Tony's 44 carbines with hard cast heavy bullets would do the trick but in the hands of the average person they might be in deep shit.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12922 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They might end up in deep shit!
~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
Speaking of shotguns for bear protection. I've only used them for bird hunting. Someone said 00 buck, what about slugs? Do you need to have a special barrel to shoot slugs or can I shoot them out of my normal barrel?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry the biggest gun I can shoot effectivel; my Ruger 45 Colt Bisley, with 360gr bullets at 1100 fps.

Make no mistake, 44 mag and 45 Colt leverguns kick and kick hard when loaded heavily. They come straight back and fast, alot of training is needed to shoot heavy loads in them quickly, and a good recoil pad helps. They are wonderful guns, but are not for the recoil shy or inexperienced. For an inexperienced, recoil shy person the best bear protection is a buddy experienced in shooting a 458!

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Medium, you can shoot slugs from a regular shotgun barrel but I don't believe they would be very accurate at long distance's. With that being said, you probably aren't going to shoot it long distance anyways if your carrying for bear protection. The Brenekke 600 grain Dangerous Game slugs are what I use to carry, at very close range I can only imagine the damage they would cause to a bear.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
camp gun is a 12g w/00buck,sidearm is a 45 auto

You're talking New York city here and not Alaska leftyright?

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
camp is where the meat pole is,nyc or wyo.camp raiders come in all shapes and sizes and colors. i personally don't use slugs.there are something like 18 of the 32 caliber "buck" in a 00buck round.i might miss with a single slug

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ravenr, the meat pole shouldn't be where camp is...no wonder why you've got bears in camp!!! Big Grin

If you cat hit a bear with a single slug, you won't kill him with 00 buck either. But don't worry, most mortals can't anyhow but sure seem to think they can.. bull

MG

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A 44 mag in a rifle is about equivalent to the 454 in a handgun, provided proper bullets are used.

To the proponets of 00 buck, a single pellet is about on part with a 380 acp. If you rely on pattern to make up for shot placement, you are hoping a single pellet will make it into the brain. If you use a tight choke to keep the pattern together, you have effectively a single projectile weapon with less terminal performance than a slug. I used to carry a 12 ga until I started experimenting on the range and in the woods.

In a revolver, the 44 mag makes sense as a prudent minimum, in a long gun, the 338 win mag makes sense as a prudent minimum. There are 10,000 opinions as to what makes a good bear gun, and a small collection of folks who've been unfortunate enough to find out what will reliable work, and what won't. Filter out the opinions and seek the advice of those who've been there.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't want to have to hit him at all this is just the recipe i feel comfortable with,the 47 griz i saw from jul-nov.last year never made it past the red heeler, so i guess my mortal has never been tested

one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of the old joke I was once told.
Qu. What do I do if attacked by a Bear?
A. Throw Sh--t in his face and run.
Qu. Where am I going to get this Sh--t?
A, Don't worry, when the time comes, you
won't have far to reach. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
i don't want to have to hit him at all this is just the recipe i feel comfortable with,the 47 griz i saw from jul-nov.last year never made it past the red heeler, so i guess my mortal has never been tested

I would have to agree...I'll take two heelers over a shotgun, pretty good keeping bears out of camp. Big Grin

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a 10 Ga. 3 1/2 mag with slugs for camp and carry a 45 colt in the ruger blackhawk frame as a sidearm when backcountry camping. The 10 Ga gun is inexpensive and easily replaced if to be missing or stolen unlike a safari grade rifle. This is part of my non-hunting or out of season gear, but kept as camp/hiking/scouting defense tools. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote