Find
Notify
Tools

Average distance for Brown Bear??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

I was just curious to what the average distance that Outfitters, guides and their clients shoot their Brown Bears at. Excluding wounded bears. I believe that I read somewhere that Outfitters/Guides like to get within a 100 yards. Like I said just curious.

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Our average shots for our hunters on the peninsula are under 100 yards. 30 to 50 is ideal. Brown bears, like African lions, buffalo and elephants are potentially dangerous game and it is foolish to risk wounding them by taking longer shots.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Whatever distance you can be 110% confident of putting the round solidly in the vitals.

For me that would be 75 yards off a solid rest for broadside and 50 yards if its a quartering shot.

The above distances include a little bit of the "buck fever" factor.

Brown bear make me more nervous then cape buffalo.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Opinions will vary as a couple years ago I had a client - who eventually booked with me - claimed that another relatively new guide, who hunted state lands farther down the peninsula, told him to bring an Ultra-mag as most shots would be over 400 yards.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Opinions will vary as a couple years ago I had a client - who eventually booked with me - claimed that another relatively new guide, who hunted state lands farther down the peninsula, told him to bring an Ultra-mag as most shots would be over 400 yards.

Whoa!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
If anyone remembers that 27" skull bear taken last spring in the Baranof Is. area by the 300 Rum Accubond guide .He claimed it was a 1 shot kill @ 400 yards or more .... Gives the bear a LONG time to bleed out .......
... I myself know that is the reason alot of bears are walking around with 30 cal. 7 mm , 277 cal. even 338 and 375 cal bullets in them ...... On Brown bear I don,t think "long distance is the next best thing to being there" .. And frankly , under 50 feet is alot funner than long range target shooting ..

. I like to use rifles suitable for elephant hunting with bullets suitable for elk or moose @ bow hunting range or closer...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I passed on an interior grizzly because 300 yards is a long shot on a big bear.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was at 25 yards.

I liked being that close Big Grin

Calgary Guy

Posts: 108 | Location: Calgary | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Getting close IS the hunt. there is nothing like stalking - or waiting - during those last 50 yards.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Getting close IS the hunt. there is nothing like stalking - or waiting - during those last 50 yards.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot mine at 230 yards with a .340 Weatherby and flattend him like a pancake. Unable to get close and was confident with the shot

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first brownie with a 338 at 45 yards after a 1/2 mile stalk; dead on it's feet but didn't know it. Amaizing how fast they can run! Shot my 2nd brownie at 20 yards when it popped out of the tree line on us (guide insists it was 15 yds). Had stalked toward it about 1/2 mile on the beach until it disappeared into the trees. 338 spun him around & it was back into the woods FAST. Shot a nice black bear last sring at 125 yards with the 338; destroyed the onside shoulder; amaizing how it could move along on 3 legs........I have passed up farther shots on big bear; I know my limitations. The stalk IS a big part of the fun/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unforgetable Hunting
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
Average distance that we shot bears here in Romania is about 40 meters...

Posts: 599 | Location: Romania, Europe | Registered: 29 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Took my 9'9'' brownie with a .338 with a 250 gr nosler at 85 yds on a beaver dam, eating silvers that were coming over the dam. 2 hits and down where he stands.Bear are close range just cuz of the terrain..have a great hunt.... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Awesome info guys, I sight my 500 Jeffery 2" high at 100 yards. That puts it dead on at 25 yards and 175 yards, 2" low at 200 yards which is a good max range for it. I took a mule deer doe at 250 yards with it last year, hoping for an elk and a deer with it this year while I'm saving up for a cape buffalo hunt and a brown bear hunt.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
At those close ranges of under 100 yards does that make the 375 H&H aN IDEAL CALIBER FOR THE BIG BEARS OR SHOULD ONE LOOK AT MAYBE THE 416'S OR 458'S FOR A NEW BEAR RIFLE?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably better to practice with what you have rather than try to adjust to a heavier caliber. It is bullet placement that kills, given using a quality bullet heavy enough to get the job done.....just one hunter's thoughts however/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANIMALS are not target,taking shots beyond 150 yards for bears are fullish and claimed most by coward hunters who they dont treat and respect animal at all

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
My max hunting distance is 100 yards ,although i do practice with my rifles to 250 yards i dont think i have ever shot a deer or black bear beyond 50 yards , i like to get up close. I have never hunted brown bear but someday i will i shoot very well with my 375 H&H using 300 gr a-frames loaded 2500-2600 fps.From what i have read this would seem to be a great big bear load. I also use a 45/70 with 350 gr a-frames i am working this load now to reach 2000 fps i am cuttently at 1900 fps. I think this also would be a good choice but have made this my back up for brown bears.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I agree, no sense in hunting dangerous game unless you get close. I'm using my 500 Jeffery as my "one rifle" so I'm hunting everything with it. It's the only way I know how to get really comfortable and good with it. A 250 yards shot at elk here (Colorado) is not considered a long shot. Most shots tend to be under 25 yards in the timber or over 250 yards, not too much in between.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Sounds like a long distance shot for taking some prairie dogs.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote