Find
Notify
Tools

Travel case ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
With my impending trip to the Wrangells, I've discovered that my current long gun case will not meet TSA standards as I've lost the keys, thus it cannot be locked. I quote TSA reg

"""All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during check-in at the ticket counter.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be carried in a locked, hard-sided container.
It is preferred that you provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the case, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the case is cleared. If you are not present and the screener must open your case, the TSA and/or airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If this is unsuccessful, the case will not be placed on the plane since unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) are not permitted on aircraft due to Federal regulations. This shouldn't be the case, however, because you must accompany your firearm to screening.
Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in plastic, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition such as cardboard. Most airlines will accept the original box the ammunition was purchased in. (Check before you fly).

The ammunition may also be located in the same locked, hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above. Again, check before you fly though, as some airlines will insist ammunition travel in separate baggage."""

I've been perusing the Cabelas web site and since I have a Cabelas 32 miles from my house I can fix my problem. I do have a question which might be cheaper but might be frought with potential problems.

For my Army retirement 5 years ago, my fellow soldiers bought me a Browning travel vault for "take-down" shotguns, in which I place both my 12 SxS's for trips to South Dakota. I was thinking I could remove my fiberglass stock from the barreled action for the trip to and from Alaska. Once I arrive at the lodge we have to check our zeros anyway, I could simply reassemble the rilfe for the hunt and zero it at my nominal 100 yds. I could even use a torque wrench to return the action screws to the proper torque.

Also, does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge if my 20-round CaseGuard plastic ammo boxes will meet TSA standards?

Your thoughts, please.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Also, does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge if my 20-round CaseGuard plastic ammo boxes will meet TSA standards?

Your thoughts, please.

The Case guard products meet the tsa requirements and are ok as far as Alaska & Delta Airlines are concerned beer

Have fun & good luck on your Hunt!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Tsturm,

Thanks for the 1st hand knowledge.

John Barsness (Mule Deer) over on 24hourcampfire.com, uses the very same Browning 5015 Travel Vault for his travel hunts. Says it's much easier to lug a short 38" case than a long 51" case through an airport. When he hits camp, he assembles the bolt rifle, fires a few shot to settle the action into the stock and rarely has to even touch the turrets.

I'm set! Now to go buy another Army duffle bag to bring back a Grizz hide on the airplane Big Grin

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSSP

Before I started hunting woith the Blaser R 93 and dpouble rifles I used your plan ie taking the bbled action oout of the stock and using a take down case. Worked for me. Just test it at home a couple of times.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your caseguard case will meet t.s.a. standards, as it is either original packing or a case designed for the purpose of carrying ammo.

Cold Zero

posted Hide Post
I have used the Browning gun vault myself. I took out the foam and used wool clothes to pack the rifle in, which eliminated one bag of clothes. That worked pretty well, the case was loaded in a horse trailer for the trip. My only complaint was the weight which might be a factor when flying. As you stated the case weighs 20 lbs empty. You might have to think about an aluminum case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the takedown case is the only way i go. you may need to fire the rifle a few times when you put it back together just to make sure it settles into the stock right, but i put mine into a hockey equipment bag and nobody knows its a gun, so to baggage apes haven't hurt it at all.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
With my impending trip to the Wrangells, I've discovered that my current long gun case will not meet TSA standards as I've lost the keys, thus it cannot be locked. I quote TSA reg

"""All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during check-in at the ticket counter.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be carried in a locked, hard-sided container.
It is preferred that you provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the case, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the case is cleared. If you are not present and the screener must open your case, the TSA and/or airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If this is unsuccessful, the case will not be placed on the plane since unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) are not permitted on aircraft due to Federal regulations. This shouldn't be the case, however, because you must accompany your firearm to screening.
Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in plastic, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition such as cardboard. Most airlines will accept the original box the ammunition was purchased in. (Check before you fly).

The ammunition may also be located in the same locked, hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above. Again, check before you fly though, as some airlines will insist ammunition travel in separate baggage."""

I've been perusing the Cabelas web site and since I have a Cabelas 32 miles from my house I can fix my problem. I do have a question which might be cheaper but might be frought with potential problems.

For my Army retirement 5 years ago, my fellow soldiers bought me a Browning travel vault for "take-down" shotguns, in which I place both my 12 SxS's for trips to South Dakota. I was thinking I could remove my fiberglass stock from the barreled action for the trip to and from Alaska. Once I arrive at the lodge we have to check our zeros anyway, I could simply reassemble the rilfe for the hunt and zero it at my nominal 100 yds. I could even use a torque wrench to return the action screws to the proper torque.

Your thoughts, please.

I have been all over the world with my case. I have never had a gun scratched or a scope off of target.

www.americase.com

I have the single rifle, breakdown single shotgun/rifle and the three gun Safari Case and their ammo box #805.

All pass TSA and any airline I have been on.

Just my .02
Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote