THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Suggestions for a AK hunt this year

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a AK hunt this year
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
What would you guys suggest for a guided AK hunt this fall for two hunters. Cost should be roughly 12k give or take (just the hunt cost, not including airfare/etc). Splitting the bag on a combo hunt would be ok. If we could get a Moose/Grizz combo hunt with a good outfitter and reasonable chance of success on both that would be pretty close to ideal.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Check with Kelly Vrem,his company is Rough and Ready Outfitters,he is a life long Alaska resident.Not sure on current prices but he will let 2 guys split a combo hunt,my father and I did this in 04. Search his name on yahoo. He has great bears and moose in his area.Himself and his guides are top shelf,we have hunted with him 4 times.He is a no nonsense guy but he knows his business and produces great animals. Alaska is not an easy hunt but if it were easy everone would already be there.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out www.nwaoutfitters.com
We offer great hunting for Moose & Brown Bears.
We have 2 openings left in 2007 due to a couple cancelations. No openings in 08 all booked.

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
MRMM,
I've never seen anyone charge each individual item to be brought out of the field. $150 to bring out antlers? $1 per pound for meat and another $1 per pound for the hide? Shouldn't all this be covered in the cost of the hunt? Not trying to bash your business, i've just never seen it done that way before.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How many fully guided remote hunts have you priced. From the Yukon to Alaska Remote hunts all have this priced out seperatly.Meat from a moose can weigh 5-600 lbs bone out. All flying is done by wieght. It costs me 1.00 per pound to fly all provisions,motors,food,tents,let alone fuel. Do the research on any websites in AK or the yukon you will realize 1.00 per pound and 150 for antlers is cheap.

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
MRMM,
You weren't being criticized, just questioned. I've never seen the costs laid out like that either. That said, I don't mind your approach at all. If I'm unsuccessful...I sorta/kinda get a discount...because the hunt cost didn't assume my antlers/meat/cape transport. If I'm successful, it's likely there's an opportunity to leave some meat in 'town' for locals (assuming I've cared for it well) and I pay to take want I want back to Los Anchorage.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We do it that way so there are no suprises on the Clients end. And yes you only have to take as much meat as you want as all of the guides and staff love the meat and the donation by all the hunters. We pride ourselves on our service and the fact that there is never any suprise costs just a great hunt. If you look we are probably one of the only outfitters who list those costs up front but if you do the research and ask other outfitters who hunt remote areas you will find they won't mention these costs until you ask them directly.