Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles for Grizz hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil
I do not disagree with his choice in any way.

I always thought the 300 would be best for that type of Grizzly hunt because of the posibility of a longish [on bears] shot.

I most always carry 2 rifles, one a primary the other a spare. I could take 2 300's.

I have taken one rifle only on backpack hunts and horseback hunts, where weight is a consideratioin.

I am only taking one rifle on this trip for the same reason. I will have a spare scope sighted in ready to go

I am a big fan of the 300, especially if shots are likely to be around 300 yards.

There is also a good chance we might see wolf or a wolverine, which again may require a longish precision shot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2

In reply to your question, the guide stated he has taken several bears in this area under 40 yards.... I would love to use a double.... However I hate to walk around with a "100 yard gun" in "300 yard country" if you know what I mean.
While I have made a couple of kills at near and a little over 300 yards with my 9,3x74R Double I do not consider the 9,3 a proper 300 yard cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunt update.

I was out for 12 days. No bear, no tracks.
The bear are still in the den.

I am still in Nome AK at the Public Libray.
The guides other client arrived for his hunt. They are out now.
I am going to try and stay here until the bears wake up. When they do we will go back out.

It has been a lot of fun hanging out in Nome.

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Hunt update.

I was out for 12 days. No bear, no tracks.
The bear are still in the den.

I am still in Nome AK at the Public Libray.
The guides other client arrived for his hunt. They are out now.
I am going to try and stay here until the bears wake up. When they do we will go back out.

It has been a lot of fun hanging out in Nome.

Good luck!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the hunt.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I hope you get a good one. Still, I would have been a fan of the 9.3 kill. Anyway, wake 'em up! Packy

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...Don,t lingure too long in the BOT Eeker I,m Glad you are enjoying the disrupted schedule.. So much for Global Warming....Have you done any shootin in the mean time .... Have fun and keep the sunglasses handy ... gumboot....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G458
I have spent a "little" time in the BOT and most of the others too. Big Grin

Ya'll will just have to wait till the end of the hunt for a full report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth and no disrespect intended.

I think either the .300 with 180 premium is fine for anything. I hunt with a 376 Steyer and Nosler Accubond's in 260 grain. Frankly I have never thought of using my .375 H&H as a backup for anything. This caliber is a front runner and will take anything anywhere any time
and at distances well beyond what most shooters can accurately shoot.

Just my pennies
Neal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neal
None taken, I agree the 375 {Steyr or H&H] Is a great cartridge.
However I think the 300 Mag better if the shot miht be farther than "normal" hunting ranges. Also the 300 bbl on my Blaser has a scope designed for long range shooting [Ballistic Cam].

Also some of the smaller game that might be seen are better suited to the 300.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Update on the hunt.

I did not get a bear. I did have a great time and will give more details when I get home. I am still in Alaska with AKshooter.

He invited me to stop over and visit for a few days.
We will be shooting some double rifles.

The Adventure continues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Sorry you didn't get your grizzly, but glad to hear you had a great time anyway. beer

Cheers

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me a sissy, but when I go, there will be a CZ416 Rigby in the case, or my 550 Gibbs. I have a serious disinclination to being eaten by a bear.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.........Sorry you didn,t get a bear ,,.,

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
This is NE450No2.
Gentlemen thanks for the replies and the support.
We just got thorugh eating 20 lbs of Alaskan King Crab.

True, I did not get a bear, but it did not detract from my adventure in any way.

This was one of the most fun trips I have ever had.

The fun is continuning here in Alaska with
AK shooter and his friends.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Win Mag was a good choice for this hunt.
I did pass on a Grizz that we judged to be just under 7 foot, and saw several bears we just could not get too.

Most likely any shots would have been at a longish range.
I did manage to take 2 red foxes both at about 225 to 250 yards.

The Blaser performed perfectly. It stayed in the codura scabbard on the snow go all the time even at night. The rifle/scope was wet most of the time.
I did dry out the inside of the bbl a couple of times.

Once when crossing a river I broke through, sinking the back of the snow machine. My Blaser R 93 was completly under water for around 6 or 7 minutes.

I blew out the bbl, blew out the action, put it back in the scabbard and continued on.

I must say the Leupold MK4 LR really impressed me. The vibration of the Snowmobile was unbeleivable. The Leupold held zero 100%.

No doubt a snowmobile is 10 times harder on a rifle/scope than a horse.

I had several crashes. 3 or 4 times I had the rifle on my back and was thrown off the machine on my back in the snow.

I was lucky to survive alive, much less the rifle.

The guide did have a crash where he broke the stock on his synthentic SAKO in 338.

The snowmobiling was EXTREME to say the least.

I did eat caribou [I have had it before] ptarmingin, and seal, as well as fresh Alaskan King Crab.

It was a Great Adventure.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I've hunted around Nome many times. As you now know, a 375 isn't needed. A 300 Win Mag is perfect.

I've always told those who asked that the hunting can be more of an expedition than hunting!

The bear you turned down is about average size for the area. A 7.5 footer is a nice one, anything bigger is a bonus.

One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
My wife killed a Brown bear with her .308 lever action at 40 yards, 10 years ago. One shot, in the spine, lights out. I would use my .375 H&H only because I am comfortable shooting it and I know it will do the job. Long range, or in the brush, I feel better having that little bit of extra boom. Good luck..
Note:
I did read a story in a book about some old Kodiak bear hunters who put 13 rounds from a number of .375 rifles into one very determined 10ft. bear. It fell dead 10 yards from them after a 150 yard charge.

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote