Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan 30-06 Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
I was in Cabela's yesterday, looking for some cheap 375 HH ammo (green box Remington). They didn't have anything but premium stuff.

However, what they did have was interesting. They had Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 with a 220 grain bullet! I hand load that, but have never seen it stocked before.

They also had some 22LR which is rare.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those loads also work great on hogs in tight cover.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
I was in Cabela's yesterday, looking for some cheap 375 HH ammo (green box Remington). They didn't have anything but premium stuff.

However, what they did have was interesting. They had Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 with a 220 grain bullet! I hand load that, but have never seen it stocked before.

They also had some 22LR which is rare.

IIRC, that is the most accurate factory load I have shot out of my gun.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Just good to see a big, slow, hunting load and not a super fancy, ultra high BC secant ogive whatever heat resistant bullet. Just a pure moose and bear killin' box of ammo.

BOOM

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

That load used to be common in every hardware store in the Northeast when I was growing up so its been around many years. It's a brush hunters load and a brown bear load that used to be used quite a bit. The first guide I used was on Kodiak Island in the 80's. He said at that time it was not uncommon for a client to show up with that load and for it to work well on brown bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I used it for black bear here in Colorado. That was years ago when baiting was legal. Shot was @ 50 yards.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used it on bears. It penetrates well, leaves an exit wound and a good blood trail for the 10 yards they move after getting shot.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 220 partitions over 53.5gn of I4831 for bear on kodiak and they did just fine. That's a moderate load that gives ~2450fps in 22" barrels. I use either that bullet or 220 Hornady roundnoses over the same charge in all of my 30-06s depending what the gun likes best.

Are there better newer bullets like TSXs, etc out there? Probably. But I like to stick to what I know works well for me and my guns and laid up a lifetime (or 3) of bullets years ago and see no reason to argue with success.

My 375s are usually my go to guns for everything, but I feel absolutely fine hunting anything in AK with a lighter weight '06 with good bullets.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Yes, OB, but you took a 4-bore after buffalo in Oz. No '06 there and fancy schmancy bullets. Just one big lead ball.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, OB, but you took a 4-bore after buffalo in Oz. No '06 there and fancy schmancy bullets. Just one big lead ball.
Cal

Well Cal, I do like my '06s but there's no reason to be silly! If there was a stainless 7lb 4-bore that recoiled like an 06 that would be the only gun I ever used. I like big bullets.

I've never understood (other than, maybe, whitetail hunting for those into that) 150-165 grain '06 loads or 200 grain 338s. What's the point? Giving up so much penetration for 3" less drop at 300 yards is crazy to me, but to each his own.

I think 200 (swift, barnes)-220s (all others) are the sweet spot for the 30-06. Did I mention I really like big bullets?

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote