THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Recomendations for a Factory .30-06 load

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomendations for a Factory .30-06 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shooting Federal high Energy 180 Gr. N.P. loads for many years now. Accuracy has been 3 shot groups at 100 yes all day long. All animals I shot with it were one shot deals.

Unfortunatley, Federal has discontinued this load and I am looking for a new load for use on Alaska game from Wolf, Deer, Caribou, Sheep, to Goat.

I like N.P. as that is what I have always used, I don't like TBBC. Open to recomendations.

I you know of a good factory 200 gr load also that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the basic 180 fed NP 180 will work great.

im not from Alaska but a very close neighbour ...

on another side the 200 grains Norma Oryx factory worked great on caribou when i was guiding ...

of course we are talking about the lovely 30-06.

i like too when using reloaded one the 220 grains rem core lockt.

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The High Energy had a velocity of close to 2,900 FPS. One of the things I liked about this load.

What is the velocity of the Federal load in a 24" barrel ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten some excellent accuracy out of the Remington factory load using 180 grain Swift A frame bullet. It works in three different brand of 30-06.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Federal High Energy loads gave close to 300 Win Mag performance in a 30-06. You should have hoarded a few boxes.

The Hornady Superformance ammo is great--I'm not sure if it's in 30-06. Check to see and if so, try some. I've used it in 257 Roberts and 270 Win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Federal load with 180 TSX has worked really well for me. I'm basically a hand loader but I've been very happy with this factory load for anything from Elk to bushbuck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
Those Federal High Energy loads gave close to 300 Win Mag performance in a 30-06. You should have hoarded a few boxes.

When I saw that the HE gave close to .300 WM velocity and the accuracy I was getting from it, I purchased a supply of HE that lasted me about 15 years.

I am now down to my last box and it is time to start looking for what I will have to switch to. If Federal did not discontinue it, I would never switch to anything else.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a look at Cabela's and their stock is options on premium ammo are not great and much of what they do carry is back ordered.

Can someone recommend an online retailer that has a wide selection of ammo ? Even if they too are back ordered.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd check with Midway. They normally have a good supply of premium factory ammo. Also you might wanna look at the 200 grn loads from Nosler. They use to have it in both Accubond and Partion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has a nice selection.

Any comments on the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with Accubond ?

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've recently started handloading the 168 grain Barnes TTSX for 30-06. I've settled on it as my one load for the 30-06 when I use one. In 30-06 loaded to just over 2800 fps the 168 will reliably expand out to between 400 and 500 yards (min 2000fps velocity to expand) and they will penetrate extremely well. Just the ticket for big bodied game animals. This bullet is available in Barnes Vor-Tex factory ammunition too if you're interested.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Norma loads 180grs N.P. and 200grs Oryx.
The 180gr Oryx certainly holds a sterling reputation so although I have never tried the 200grs I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

As alternative, you might consider the AccuBonds loaded by Norma. In both .30 and .323 I've had excellent experience with the AccuBond.

Or if you like Federal, then whyn't give the Trophy Tipped a try? Alas, I haven't shot game with it but on paper it prints very beautifully.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COLD ZERO
i to used the federal H E ammo for years and shot a truck load of game.....try useing R17....with R17 with 56 gns you will get 2900 with the 180 partition , and with the 200 gn nosler with 54 gn you will get a touch over 2700
i just recently sold my supply of 180 noslers , as i have changed over to useing the 200 gn nosler part for everything, and i mean everything....i think all up the 200 gn @2700 is a better combination out of the 06 then the 180 @2900....and belive me there is nothing wrong with the 180 @ 2900
there is a great post on 24 hr campfire , one of the posters was useing R17 57 GNS with the 180 accubond , he was getting 2975 and shot everything with it
give the 200 gn partition a go at 2700, you will never regret it !!!!
Daniel

Posts: 1487 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote