New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag and 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently found out we my be getting transfered to Alaska (Army). I have several guns I want to bring there but recently saw a Model 7 Custom in 350 Rem Mag for sale at the local gunshop. From what I have read this seems to be a decent cartridge for Alaska. I do own a Krieghof Classic in 9.3x74R but really not sure it would be a good thing to be toting it up there is the wet enviroment. I will say that it has been used and has several good knicks already in the woodwork. And I really like the way it handles...light and short.
Would the weather there really play havok on this DR? Also, what is a good price for the M7 used? It has a Nikon scope on it and is in good condition. Would this be a good all around rifle for there?
Thanks,
WWhunter

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted moose and black bear in Talkeetna this year with my Merkel 141 double in 9.3x74. Keep a coat of RIG on the metal and reoil the wood when you get it dried out and it will be fine. With that being said I'm also building a 358STA in stainless and fiberglass just for Alaska hunting. But my doubles will always have a place there too.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...I think you will do well with a 350 Rem..,,And in a nice , easy packin rifle..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mod 7 sounds like a fine setup if the price is rite,i prefer a plastic stock if i can find one i like , other than that i used metal seal for almost 20 yrs now almost all my guns are old blued ones dont really have much problem with rust, i blow them out with canned or compressed air after a hunt to get the water and leaves out then use a fan to speed up drying i live in southeast where it raining rite now and metal seal gets a little gummy on internal parts which might not be good if it gets cold where your going, which is probably the case let us know what you decide and where you are going

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find your 9,3 x 74R double to be the perfect moose gun.
About the only place I would take mine would be to Kodiak for a deer hunt.
The .350 would be a excellent rifle as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find Alaskans use a mixture of practical and nostalgic firearms. You will find guns with electrical tape holding them together and you will find the finest customs and double guns...sometimes the same guy will own both!

The .350 is a good round. What are they asking for it? Sounds like you are talking about Fort Richardson or is it Wainwright?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I really like my ruger 350 rem mag, I'll say that Alaskan big game hunting spans a huge gammut of terrain and critters, and often folks gear their rifle more towards the close in medium bore rifle vs the more versatile lighter small bore.

You can kill any AK game animal with a ~26-30 caliber with the right bullet properly placed, and there are plenty of opportunities for shots past 300 yds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same Model seven .350 custom with the Mannlicher type stock and a 1.5x5 Leupold. Compact and accurate. It definitely does not kick hard. Not at all! No different than an '06 with 220g.

Personally, I'd buy a .375 Ruger in the Alaskan configuration with the 20" barrel. Mine has a very thick pad and I don't find the recoil objectionable. I was a little concerned at first but the typical gun-write "recoil scare" is WAY over-rated. This rifle is a lot less money too. Perfect for Alaska. The stock is a little clubby but its growing on me, I guess. You can buy a Ruger injection molded plastic stock at Brownell's for a little under $70, and make it a trim rifle. Slap a limbsaver recoil pad on and you're done--for at least $500 less than my Rem Model Seven mannlicher.

JohnDeere

Posts: 61 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that 350 would make a fine alaskan rifle. The things I look for in an all around alaskan rifle are first and foremost, fairly light weight, stainless, quality synthetic stock, and really good glass. Once you find those three characteristics caliber is secondary. Any of the 300s, short or long, 338 win or rum, or 375 ruger or H&H will all do just fine. The 350 rem with 225gr bullet will do fine out to 300 yards. Rigth now I have two I consider all arounders, one a kimber montana 325 WSM with 3-9x40 Leupold VxII and the other a custom lightweight 375 H&H win 70 3-9 Ziess. They both wieght in right about 7lbs and are as weather proof as you can get.

Of the current factory rifles out there you would be hard pressed to do better than the kimber montana line from 30/06, 300 short or tall, 325 WSM, and 338 win. All capable cartridges and very handy rifle.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote