THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    I Think I Got Screwed Bear Hunting in Alaska
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think I Got Screwed Bear Hunting in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read where aluminum cans can take up to 400 years to break down in the sea

Sounds like so much BS to me. Saltwater is one of the most caustic natural environments on Earth. Aluminum cans haven't even been around for 400 years.

I fish off the coast of New Jersey very often. Unless the salt water is stronger in the Atlantic Ocean, aluminum cans dissolve in 3 days. Unplated carbon-steel fish hooks cut off in gill-hooked fish dissolve in less than 2 weeks.

Sorry you had a less than successful trip. Sorry you might not live long enough for another try at brown bear. But that's why they call it hunting. A neighbor of mine got skunked on a bear\moose combo hunt last year. He had no chance for EITHER species. That's getting double screwed!

I, on the other hand, spent less than half the money in Namibia and shot 14 animals. No bear, of course.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
The only time shooting a sow was discussed was during/right after the first stalk. I was told it was "against policy" but that it was entirely legal.

onefunzr2, it may sound like BS but I surely didn't make it up. Glad to hear you had a successful trip in Namibia. Good luck finding a bear there. Wink

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just called today as he got back from the Alaska Penninsula hunting Brownies. I am going to see him on Monday but here is his story. Yes, the bear hunting for 14 days was dismal as he did not see a single bear for the first 4 days. Most of this was due to the late spring weather and there was considerable snow on the ground yet. From the 5th day on the bears sightings were far and few inbetween and most of them were sows and several "small" boars in the 8-81/2' range. The guide stated that he preferred to let the small ones live a little longer as his reputation is based on Brownies 9' +. Well, they never did see one that large so he came back empty handed. Now this is the clincher, my friend was offered another 14 day hunt next season...free of charge. Now that is one stand-up outfitter if you ask me. He and his son are both going to bag a Brownie and I will tell you this, when its my turn to do this I know which guy I am booking with. Now this hunt was not on the cheap...at $15,000.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I had a call this afternoon from an Alaskan State Trooper based in Juneau who is in charge of investigating my complaint. Most of his questions were based around the areas we hunted and he indicated that a couple times we were indeed in areas not Mike's to hunt. Fortunately, had I taken a bear in that area it would have been Mike's problem and not mine as a hunter. Hunters, while required to know the laws of the hunt, are not required to know their guides hunt areas. The trooper stated he knew where Mike lived and would be paying him a visit.

Woodrow S, who is the guide you're speaking of? Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will post more this coming Monday when I get to sit down for a while with the person we are speaking of. Being that he just got back after 2 weeks in Alaska he needs to focus on his business again. Even though he did not get the large 9-1/2' Brownie he wanted he sounded very satisfied about the whole ordeal and stated that the free hunt next year was just icing on the cake. Hunting hard and coming up short is one thing, while having a mediocre hunting effort and coming up short is quite a different story. One can still be quite satisfying and the other leaving something to be desired. I hope you nail that prick to the wall when you get the chance, and I believe you will get another shot at him. Pardon the pun.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading all these posts has been very interesting and educational to me. I thank you all, and congratulate everyone of you for not getting into a name calling, pissing match like so many threads do when they prolong for a period of time like this one has.

Dennis: I'm sorry you had such a poor trip and it cost so much without anymore effort than you were offered. Sounds like you've done the best you can do since getting back. I do hope you took lots of pictures for evidence, and keepsakes.

One of your early posts states: "his first client left after 7 days,---WHY?? and: "this is his last trip. Please explain about these things. Is this guy/guide quiting the business, or what's the details on what you said: "his last trip"?

It's been my lifetime goal to just get to Alaska, folks drove up in '66 and hunted moose, got a nice bull of 59", both shot a nice caribou and Dad hunted alone on Admiralty crawling the bear tunnels til he came upon a fresh pile of 'scat' and realized how damned stupid he was. Then he couldn't get off there fast enough. He passed up a goat because the stubby 9" horns didn't seem big enough to him, until he got into Jona's displays and they were every bit as long. Too late then Jack.

I don't know all the details, but, one guy that hauled him/them around on a boat was Dan Swan. I have no idea whether he was a guide, or just someone Dad met after getting up there. I do know they did not book anything until they did get there. Dan and his wife came down here and spent a couple weeks with the folks a few yrs later. We never heard anymore from them since. Anyone on here care/know to update any??

OF course that many yrs ago the cost wasn't anywhere near what it is now. Neither were wages anywhere, especially for a working man in a steel mill as he was. That was "their once and only lifetime trip". Their memories are still providing a lot of pleasure even yet. So are the moose and caribou heads on the wall.

Don't look like I'll even make it up there. Drove a long haul truck ten yrs. Within ten months before I got on it, my trk had made three trips to Prudhoe, and just two weeks before had gotten back from a 26 trk convoy to the Panama Canal. Furthest I've been was Calgary, and just once. About 20 yrs ago I wrecked my spine, surgery last Nov. There's not gonna be much strenous activity in my future I know that for sure now. But, do intend to go for elk and what I can.

I fully agree with the person that said the guide's should be urging the hunter to stay out there, make the effort. One fact of life no matter what hunt you're on: "unless you're out there, you don't stand ANY chance of connecting".

Again, sorry you had such bad results. Do hope satisfaction is presented you before long, and your health holds up for many years. Hopefully, you'll keep this thread going with updates.

Wish you well, thanks to all.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
George, I was told his first client of the season left after 7 days because the guy had brought his wife and she couldn't take the hunt anymore and they only saw 3 bears in the seven days. My comment about him being on his last hunt meant for this brown bear season. Sorry for any confusion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog Shooter is absolutely right in all respects. Those of us that live in Alaska and in particular know that we have it made. Its been my experience where I live that most, wish to share the best with those less fortunate. The guide you refer to I know nothing about. I do know however that over the past thirty years
some real yo-yo's with big bucks from south of our border have bought some prime guide areas and sent out some real sick stories like this one.

The only way I can assure that this does not happen again is to speak directly with those of us who are in the area you want to hunt. When asking for references from the guide I do not think he is going to give you a list of dis-satisfied customers?

Kodiak Island guides have a very high success rate for both spring and fall hunts. Like 9 out of 10 hunters or slightly less go home with bears. Naturally if your sights are for a world record class bear then you may have to travel here more than once.

Hope this helps

Neal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep P dog shooter is right on. This guide screwed up in more ways than one, but for the hunter to not have a good experience because the guide is lazy in inexcusable. We know that these hunts arent 100%, but a hunter should have the right to feel like he worked his ass off and hunted as hard as he wanted to have the best chance of getting a kill. Dennis never had that chance, the guide wouldnt hunt as hard as the client wanted. It will be interesting to hear what Acheson has to say....

Sean

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Obviously this has nothing to do with my complaint, but being curious during my conversation with the State Trooper, I asked if I was the only complaint ever generated against Mike. After some uneasiness and stating he does not have details, the trooper indicated there was a federal case pending against Mike and reminded me that we're all innocent until proven guilty.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
If the case has been filed in a Federal Court, it's a matter of public record isn't it?

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Another thing about Mike was that he wasn't interested in letting either of us hunters check the zero of our rifles. When first mentioned, he said it's a good idea and we both asked for few days straight and he always said we would, but we simply never did.

Also, personal hygene at meal preparation time (or any other time for that matter) was non-existant. Maybe I'm picky, but I noticed Mike didn't wash his hands before cooking and would taste meals with the same spoon he would use to stir and serve with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
any outfitter that would not heartily encourage you , if not insist you verify your zero before going afield, screams volumes that trouble is dead ahead. that is a major no no.

the hygiene thing goes back to the laziness issue we discussed early on. i'll bet he was not italian either, so no excuse.

i beleive it has been well over a week since he was invited to come on here to discuss this. of course, he did not and will not, as was predicted. i think i have lunch coming to me Wink he is probably to mired up in his license, legal and other personal problems, etc. killpc

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about this experience,bad Deal.

I have heard several stories about alaska
one was a person got shorted days on a hunt because of they came down off the mountain Goat hunting, outfitters says your done.That Guys out of busness.
Now as for Booking agents ,not all are money grubbers.Most have a saying you payed it's not my problem.Then it's between you and the outfitter.
I know a booking agent that in the past 11 yrs
I have spent over $50,000 hard earned money
with this guy . I am a mechanic ,not rich by all means, this is my only vise. He has never steered me wrong. His system is first hand knowlage or he has been to most of the outfitters he books for.Have you ever heard of a booking agent calling Before ,During I mean calling camp when posible to see if everything is ok, and also after to see if everything is oh. So not all booking agents are money gubbers.

I say if the Outfitter is wrong nail him.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
RE: pending federal "case": I can't promise anything but give me a day or so I can check. Yes, all records are public (unless sealed), but accessing them can be difficult if you are not in the clerk's office. I subscribe to a service that allows online access to federal dockets. I have his name from your posts, an unusual last name spelling, so that will help.

Do you have an appx. Date of Birth?

If the trooper said it was a "federal prosecution" then most likely it is along the lines of tax evasion, or violation of some federal wildlife act, otherwise it would be in state courts eg a common, run of the mill homicide, DUI, domestic violence case. Could be large quantities of dope (unlikely) or a federal firearms violation...or something boring like mail fraud.

I'll see what I find.

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
OK did the search, no cases, open or closed found for Soufoulis, Michael, Mike M or by that last name....

there still may be one, that didn't show up because of name mis-spelling, or perhaps the case, if any, has not been filed.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Yep:
Go to Africa, its a guarantee you won't get screwed over there.

BULLSHIT, I DID!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sofoulis in Juneau fonbook

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Yep, my bad. Wrong spelling but walex has it right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:

I have heard several stories about alaska
one was a person got shorted days on a hunt because of they came down off the mountain Goat hunting, outfitters says your done.That Guys out of busness.

b93;

you are going to laugh. that exact thing you described happened to me and the outfitter is in fact out of business, as a result of losing his license for some of the other improprieties that he so frequently conducted. unfortunately, i have had several bad experiences, this being one of them. i try to learn from each one.

jim keeline, of see alaska with jim h. keeline inc.was the outfitter in question. i recomend people see alaska with anyone other than him. killpc

dennis;

why not contact the trooper and ask what is the jurisdiction and the index # for the case he mentioned since it is a matter of public record and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty?

what if anything at this point has atcheson done about this debacle that he got you involved in? at this point an adequate amount of time has now passed and he should have something to say.... Confused

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
cold zero, The trooper said he'd keep me apraised of his dealing with Mike so when he calls again I'll ask.

To date, Keith Atcheson has sent me one email stating the incident is unfortunate, that because of my serious allegations that he wants to keep things in writing, (I assume that means no phone calls as I have not received one), and offered me their "Goodwill Plan" that was previously decsribed in another post and was something I had already purchased for the $100.00 fee at booking time. He also stated as fact that Mike is a very experienced bear hunter.

Basically, I was sent to hunt with what the State Trooper says is an accused felon and other than reading my complaints about the guides lack of professionalism, it doesn't look like Atcheson's is going to step up. I truly wish I could say differently and will if things change.

A friend here at work is going fishing in Alaska soon with SCI's "regional director" (or some such title) and says he'll tell him about the whole mess as he seems as miffed as I am. He's been screwed in Alaska as well on a moose hunt where 5 years after the fact the Alaskan Fish and Game are harassing him over some of his guide's violations.

I've yet to decide if I want to spend the energy to persue the issue legally but am certainly leaving the option open.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Yep:
Go to Africa, its a guarantee you won't get screwed over there.

BULLSHIT, I DID!

D99:
It's called "Irony." I should have used one of the little yellow smiley faces. Wink

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
DennisHP, Thanks for posting this. These kind of storys scare the #%*+ out of me. Myself and a hunting buddy are trying to book a hunt in Kamchatka for Brown Bear. I can't afford this hunt more than once so I better book it right. Hope you get well soon. Good Hunting, Terry

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is going with the outfits that have been around for 20 years, have a golden reputation, and don't advertise because they are already booked a couple years in advance. It may cost a bit more for such outfits, but your odds of having a poor experience drop down dramatically.

It absolutely chaps my azz to hear of folks that spend a lifetime saving and dreaming for a once of a lifetime hunt, and get less than memorable experience.

Dennis,

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your hunt and I hope you get some reconciliation.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on what paul said.

an outfitter that is booked up and does not attend shows or advertise, is a good thing. customers beat a path to his door. because he always does the right thing.

an outfitter that does not ensure his hunters gun is zeroed, screams trouble from the top of his lungs. everythng after that will go down hill.

as for SCI, whether you are a member or not, i would not expect anything from them. you will get more help and advice here, than you will from sci.

dennis, since you have to talk to your booking agent in writing, i would be sure to mention that he booked you with an outfitter under multiple felony charges, not a good thing.
maybe you could mention the charges and or index #.

thank god you paid the $100 for the insurance/guarantee. although, it is a shame that is necessary. so much for the atchesons...

next time do your own research.

the guy who mentioned the booking agent who called the camp before, during and after his clients hunt, at least that sounds like a guy who tries to do the right thing, instead of a booking agent who says only talk to me in writing.

to me using a booking agent is a shortcut, this story shows even with a booking agent there are no guarantees. since you are ultimately responsible for what goes on, why not do your own work? Confused

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last words, I made some calls and I found out who your other hunter was He's not happy either,but all you can do is wait.
This is the way I look at hunts ,there all a gamble ,unless there is a fence than there is no guarantee.I don't hunt fences. I have spent money and came home with empty Hands.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
As was posted on AR previously, here are two resources that might be helpful to those looking to book hunts in the future:

Alaska Trial Court Name Index (Old System)

CourtView Search (New System)

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
searched the Federal Court filings under the new spelling, still nothing.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Bill:
Excellent info. I'll use it in the future, even though I'm in Alaska.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Not sure which is worse, calling the Coast Guard on my sat. phone to resque me and my 9' brownie from a desolate shoreline or spending the rest of the week with a slime ball making my vacation miserable and getting rich at my expense.

They would have came in a heartbeat to pick you up without question. Hell they probably would have even taken your picture with the bear. No way in hell would the bear come back with you though

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Well actually, with good satphone coms, there would be lot's of questions before they launched the ready helo at $3500 an hour. Hell, they ask alot of silly questions when your boat is sinking, once they've got the basics covered.

If dickhead hunter did call the CG to pick him up, and claimed an emergency, yes they would go. Then when they found out the real story there would be an investigation into faking a mayday call. In my opinion, I'd like to see the guy get sent the bill and some jail time.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote