New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good rain gear for the 100th time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are some good brands of rain gear. I have a nice set of marmot bibs (used ice climbing and mountaineering that are great for hunting) and some good waders. I'm in need of a quality rain jacket. I've thought of Helley Hansen and I've looked at river's west. Helley Hansen has got so many jackets I'm like a deer in the headlights when I look at their numerous selections and river's west is camo mania. I'm not a camo freak when I comes to hunting. What are some of your thoughts.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
What are some good brands of rain gear. I have a nice set of marmot bibs (used ice climbing and mountaineering that are great for hunting) and some good waders. I'm in need of a quality rain jacket. I've thought of Helley Hansen and I've looked at river's west. Helley Hansen has got so many jackets I'm like a deer in the headlights when I look at their numerous selections and river's west is camo mania. I'm not a camo freak when I comes to hunting. What are some of your thoughts.

Grunden,s Wink

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Helley Hansen Impertech 2 Jacket or Roan pull over. If you want you can check them out in person in Anchorage. The Sporting Goods store I'm working at in the mean time carries them. Barney's Sports Chalet. I want to say about $100. If there's any chance for it seeing hunting time I'd look at the Sitka Gear rain wear.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Dirk, It depends on where you will be hunting - ie HOW wet and for how long and how much walking you will do. What did your guide recommend?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Sitka and the Puget sound where they also get a lot of rain. I wore the same Gore Tex coat in both places, and a low quality rubbereized jacket.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gore tex in limited rain.

Heavy rain is a bit of a challenge for gore tex though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I lived in Sitka and the Puget sound where they also get a lot of rain. I wore the same Gore Tex coat in both places, and a low quality rubbereized jacket.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gore tex in limited rain.

Heavy rain is a bit of a challenge for gore tex though.

Clever Man Cool
Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Dirk, It depends on where you will be hunting - ie HOW wet and for how long and how much walking you will do. What did your guide recommend?

Phil, your my guide, that is whenever I do a guided hunt in AK I'll be contacting you. What do you recomend on the Peninsula?

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:

Grunden,s Wink

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
me...I'm a simple man and find that Helly Hanson works all the time. I gave the gore-tex stuff up some yrs. back aside if I do get wet then a proper fire is in order....with a tarp thrown up to tackle the rain for me.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Dirk, During a spring hunt I have been perfectly happy with Frogg Togg rain gear or good Gortex liek Simms. During the fall I also use them a lot, especially when on a stalk, but sometimes, like when you are sitting on a hill in a downpour, you can't beat good rubber coats like Grunden, Helly Hanson or Guy Cotonwhen . A Frogg Togg suit under a rubber suit will keep you dry under all conditions.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
458 has nailed it again! My variation for all day downpours is lightweight Browning's under Helly's.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
While on the rain gear subject , I have been trying the soft shell technology for the past 3 years ......... Pretty unimpressed , execpt it does break alot of the wind ..Not all tho ... But they sweat up as bad as HH ect commercial rain gear .... Maybe they still look cool ... ?????????????? I can look cool while I,m miserable fishing

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been trying the soft shell technology for the past 3 years ......... Pretty unimpressed ,

I'm impressed Gummy, you're a determined man for sure. Cool is well........cool Wink

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am going to be walking/stalking or working I prefer Waxed Cotton in temps above a hard freeze.

For me it breathes much better than rubber or gortex.

Also if you wear wool under it, such as a sweater, the thickness depending on the temp instead of polyester, the wool will absorb some of your sweat and you will not feel as clammy.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Every waxed cotton garment I have seen used on the peninsula has soaked up rain like a sponge, becomes heavy and leaves the wearer soaked !!

The Rivers West stuff is 100% waterproof but also soaks up a lot of weight in water and takes days to dry out - all the while dripping on the floor.
If you are hunting from a weatherport you can plan on putting on a heavy, wet garment every morning.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil
I only use a wax cotton garment that does not have any type of liner.

The longest trip I was on in AK was only 35 days in the field, but it did rain fairly steady for the last 15 or so.
I used a Barbour unlined Durham on that trip with great results.

I have used an unlined Filson on several trips to NW Montana and a couple to AK in rainy weather with good results as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I bought a Barbour years ago when I was in Washington state, it kind of works, it breaths as poorly as gore tex, and it's loud as a trashcan when it's not raining.

Might work in Seattle (or someplace else in the drier areas) from time to time, absolutly doesn't work on the Olympic Penninsula or near Vancouver. I have never been so cold or wet.

While I beleive it rains in Britain, it doesnt rain as much as it does in the Olympics, SE Alaska or near Vancouver BC.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what if any improvements the H.H. impertech 2 has over the older OD Green impertech, aside from now being offered in camo once again?

Anyone know of a cheap place to pick up a set that has them in stock?

Thanks.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's cheap, but Barney's in Anchorage has them on Northern Lights. Another possible coat is the Sitka Gear Stormfront jacket and pant coming out this year. Not cheap by any means, but good gear and comes in their new optifade cammo pattern.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
COOL DRY ,,,LIFE TIME , YOU RIP IT THEY GIVE YOU A NEW ONE>

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
COOL DRY ,,,LIFE TIME , YOU RIP IT THEY GIVE YOU A NEW ONE>

Ever tried calling Kool Dri? They can blow me. thumbdown

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I literally have boxes of CoolDri rain coats in camp that folks have given up on because they eventually start to leak. they are not bad when it is cool and dry though.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
animal

quote:
not bad when it is cool and dry

My sentiments on CoolDri too!

GoreTex under rubber is the only way to stay dry sitting in the elements but dry goes out the window as soon as you move and start sweating! The best raingear is the attitude that comfort only exists in a catalogue description.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If there is one thing I have learned it's that if you are going to be out in the rain all day - you are going to get wet.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I literally have boxes of CoolDri rain coats in camp that folks have given up on because they eventually start to leak. they are not bad when it is cool and dry though.

And there you have it. thumbdown clap jumping

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
Anyone know what if any improvements the H.H. impertech 2 has over the older OD Green impertech, aside from now being offered in camo once again?

Not much. Very similar. Possibly a slite weight difference.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
In my experience , Gore Tex and Cabela,s Dri Plus work much better than some people here put forth ...... I like to hae water proof / breathable pants and jacket on for being active , like climbing a hill or mountain , but real rain gear for when it gets bad or for sitting around ....... Otherwise you will be cold wet and miserable ....Which can equal leaving instead of staying ,enjoying , and having a successful hunt ....

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The driest I have ever stayed was in new Simms gortex gear. Jacket and waders. they work as advertised and are fantastic but as they age they start to leak. Still, they are the best I have found when you are active.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot