New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Airlines????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How is Alaskan Airlines having hunters pack ammo? With the rifles or separate from the rifle?

Thanks for any current info.

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving for Dillingham in 4 weeks on Alaskan Airlines too and would like to know as well!

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, last year I had the ammo in a separate locked case in my duffle bag, and absolutely no issues (at the airport in Dillingham.) Alaska seems to be one of the most hunter friendly airlines there is.

I can't say whether they are different once you get out of the bush, as I flew Delta the rest of the way.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Three years back I flew Delta from Salt Lake to Anchorage, then Ak Airlines to Nome. Rifle in the hard case and ammo in the Rubbermaid 24 gal Action Packer.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Cate...spx?Prod_ID=RP091427

....and return without a single hitch. Well, my TSA locks did break on the return trip and the ticket desk did bring it to my attention in Juneau. They asked me and received permission to steel band the gun case. All went well.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Bring your ammunition in your checked bag in an ammunition container that does not have to lock. Do not transport ammo in the same container as the firearm. I believe non TSA locks can and will be cut by TSA personell if a search of luggage is deemed warranted.

I prefer to fly Alaska Airlines for in state and lower 48 hunting trips. Very sportman friendly and very bird dog accomodating.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott. I have a small pelican case for my ammo. Where do I buy TSA locks?

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Hmm,.......I don't know where to buy other than in the convienience stores in the airport. This is the only place I know since in the past I've traveled with my own locks on luggage, the TSA cut 'em, and I wandered over to the airport store at the TSA's advise and bought a couple TSA locks.

Theres gotta be a better way to plan ahead than my method.

I'll add that the pelican case for ammo is fine but locking it is not required for flying out here. Sure, buy the lock if you prefer.

Chuck if something happens to your ammo when you get to DLG call me and I'll supply some 375 H&H. I've got plenty of 350, 300 and 270g premium bullets. I'm in the phone book.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any place carrying luggage should have tsa locks. like charles said alaska is probably the most hunter friendly airlines there is. Did have one problem with them last sunday on the way back from aniak - somebody barfed over the last 3 rows of seats. they had to switch planes.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Every Wal Mart has TSA locks. I prefer the ones with the small cable rather than the rigid U. Use them on your luggage but as Scott suggested they won't be necessary on your ammo box for this flight. A regular keyed padlock or combination lock should be used on your gun case. TSA locks on the gun case are not legal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Sound like the same regs as previously used. Guns in the Tuffpak and ammo in regular checked luggage (inside hard sided container).

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last 3 bear hunts to SE Alaska ('03, '06, '09) I had NO problems with ammo in the same rigid, TSA approved locking case. The TSA people have keys to the TSA approved locks. The hand loads were in a rigid plastic case,
designed to hold ammo, labeled, and silver duct taped close. The TSA people inspect the contents of the case with you at their side;either they or you unlock the rifle case; they ask questions, you answer them directly & respectfully. They have you lock the case again & you go to the security line to board. A friendly smile doesn't hurt either. I am booked to return next May; I will check the TSA website for any changes since my last hunt.

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska policy as per web site is that ammo can be in the same case as your rifle. I've been to Alaska on Alaska twice in the last three years on Alaska Airlines and have had ammo in the gun case both times and it is no problem. Leaving day after tomorrow for sheep and bear in the Brooks and will be doing the same thing this time. Gun case is already packed and ready to go! They are very used to having hunters travel up there.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Chuck,

Every Wal Mart has TSA locks. I prefer the ones with the small cable rather than the rigid U. Use them on your luggage but as Scott suggested they won't be necessary on your ammo box for this flight. A regular keyed padlock or combination lock should be used on your gun case. TSA locks on the gun case are not legal.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I also typically put my ammo in my hardcase with my gun. Never had an issue, TSA looks at it and relocks it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since I flew to the Outside with a firearm but as I recall, I kept the ammo with my rifle. I have a very sturdy, heavy duty aluminum rifle case and have never had a problem with TSA. You take the rifle & case to TSA where you unlock your lock, they inspect, then you lock it back up. You use your own lock - no el-cheapo TSA lock that any moron can break off & get into your stuff.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where do you guys get your facts?

Ammo may be put in the gun case with the gun.

And you do not want/need a tsa lock.

In the future I suggest everyone call the airline involved rather than internet gossip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I packed my ammo in MTM plastic containers and put them in my Tuff Pack with my rifle going to Sand Point last year. This is also how I go to Africa and US western states.Never a problem. TSA at Dulles liked that it was all together.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KennethRay:

In the future I suggest everyone call the airline involved rather than internet gossip.

Ken I get my facts from experience.

Whether anyone wants a TSA lock is really a little to personal and subjective for someone like yourself to judge don't you think?

Oops,.... I guess you're simply participating in the internet gossip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by KennethRay:

Ken I get my facts from experience.

Whether anyone wants a TSA lock is really a little to personal and subjective for someone like yourself to judge don't you think?

Oops,.... I guess you're simply participating in the internet gossip.

Facts? really? Direct from the AA website.

"All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination."

Also,From the AA website,
" Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm".

If you want to use a cheap tsa lock so some 8 dollar an hour tsa goon has access to your firearms, feel free. But,remember this, only the customer retains the key!