Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol to Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
Hey boys......any problems flying into anchorage from the states carting a pistol along. Of course it would be in the locked rifle case. Thanks

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brenan,

No. Just make sure to declare it when initially checking in with the airline. Nowadays I'd also make sure it does not need to be checked as a separate piece of luggage and perhaps find out if the airline you are using needs notification before your flight that you are traveling with a gun.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown into many states with a handgun inside my rifle case with my rifle. No different than a long gun, at least within the USA, AFAIK.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Flying Alaska Air

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
If you've flown with guns before, you won't have any problems. Needless to say, on your return flight, you'll have zero problems. I would bet Anchorage or Fairbanks has more hunters flying in and out than any other airport in the country.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
Hey boys......any problems flying into anchorage from the states carting a pistol along. Of course it would be in the locked rifle case. Thanks

I fly into Alaska all the time with a handgun in my rifle case, never a problem. Just make sure it is unloaded, and you will have no problem. I check my ammo in a separate locked box in my duffel bag with my pack frame tied with cord on top of the zipper on the outside of my duffel to make it harder to get inside my duffel. However you need to tell them your ammo in in the duffel in the locked box.

Have fun Alaska is a hoot! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I fly Alaska Air frequently. I have found them to be Gun friendly.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
As long as your pistol is in a locked case, you are fine. I fly in and out of AK all the time as I live here. I take a pistol with me when flying to the lower 48 in my luggage. In fact depending on the airline you can put your locked hard sided pistol case in soft sided luggage as long as you declare it.

Just an FYI, if you are coming up here on a rifle hunt, no need for the pistol. Its extra weight that simply isn't needed. If you are spending some time in Anchorage, definitely bring the pistol.....

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote