Find
Notify
Tools

Peninsula Browns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
I'm thinking of going on a Peninsula or Island brown bear hunt - but it will still be a few years out as I have to save the money first.

Any advice on basically - starting from scratch, on what to bring, what sort of shape to be in, and any estimates on what a reasonably good hunt goes for now, and what it would likely cost in 5 or 6 years?

Also, what other costs are involved from folks who have gone and have experience with it, total costs involved. I'm on a budget, so I need to know some ballpark of what to plan for.

I've got a CZ-550 based .416 Rigby with a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32 scope on Talley QD mounts. Aside from that, I'm diabetic, and about 40 - 50 lbs overweight right now, but I'm planning to spend a lot of time between now and then getting into better shape prior to going.

I've lived all my life basically at sea-level.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ben, the advice someone gave you on campfire was pretty much on the money. The best outfitters will probably be charging around twenty grand but for that you can expect the best chance at the biggest bears. Diabetes, as long as you keep control of it shouldn't be a problem but do mention it to the outfitter and your guide. In fact, getting into shape and staying there will not only assit your chances of taking a huge boar but be to your advantage too.
There are a number of good outfitters out there, just be sure to check references and ask check on this forum as well.
Listen to your outfitter's advice about equipment Your rifle is a good one -- just practice with it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'd book with Phil....grin....

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Ben

I will second David’s notion, when one of the most renowned bear guides in the world chimes in on your bear hunting thread you at least owe him a call to see how many years in advance he is booked up.

Here is a link to another good peninsula guide.Canoe Bay Outfitters Steve will work hard to help you get a bear. They used to be booked up a year or three also but if nothing else it’s a good site with some good info. Hope this helps and good luck.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote