Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Kodiak

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Jim, I am setting up the camp that you and Dan hunted in last spring and I will be hunting there. I will make sure to watch when passing by dens.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he was lucky to just escape with minor wounds.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fairbanks News-Miner had a better story on this today.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
News Miner

Phil, I lost a $20 bill on the spotting knob so keep your eyes open.

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I was setting out the camp today and looked for it but think a bear must have eaten it Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was rooting for the bear.. too bad they dont have "stand your ground" ideals for the obviously disadvantaged on Kodiak Island.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hokkaido:
I was rooting for the bear.. too bad they dont have "stand your ground" ideals for the obviously disadvantaged on Kodiak Island.

I'm guessing thats some kind of snide jab and okay, whatever,

I think the events are very rare and at the same time understandable. While on foot in brown bear denning country its common to be off balance on your bad foot, eyes stinging from being brush whipped in the face,hat pushed over one ear, rifle stuck in alder limbs. Your coat half untied from around waist and at the same time fully tied around different alder than eye whipping, rifle sticking, hat pushing alders. Water running down ass crack, boot untied, and camera on ground rolling down hill.

At the very moment your wiping eyes and reaching for camera, (to hell with the rifle,) I can imagine a brown bear bursting from nowhere. Its Murphy's Law.

I'd just not imagine two brown bears denning in close proximity. I don't know why not but I just wouldn't have thought so.

Successfully hunting Kodiak in the spring and having a bonus adventure to boot! Mebbe I don' wanna have exactly the same set of events but it sure makes a great story for someone else to experience and regale the crowds with!

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Scott, like you I was/am skeptical about the circumstances of two bears around the same den Roll Eyes but it is not all that unusual for bears to have dens within half a mile of each other.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, he lives out in the bush in Alaska for 25 years and carry's a stick he bangs on trees for protection? ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Eagle River is a suburb of Anchorage.

Not that it matters since there are plenty of bears in Anchorage and there have been wolf close encounters recently. The Anchorage area is very civilized but there are still salmon in the streams, moose in the ponds, sheep on the mountains and bears where ever.

Anchorage has both brown and black bears, IMHO a treat Dillingham is not blessed with.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yup, quite a few grizzlies and black bears in the Eagle River valley. A few years back a grizzly took a moose calf a couple streets away from our house. We may be in the subburbs, but still have a fair population of moose, bears, bald eagles and salmon that spawn in the river.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Check out this link:

collared bears around Anchorage

Jim

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Great link thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was talking with a lady at the hospital on Friday and she mentioned a guy got beat up earlier this week by a bear near glenallen. Anybody know anything about this?

I guess it was call between jumping in the river or take his chances with the bear.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I had the choice on the South Fork of the Flathead in the Bob Marshal with a grizzly bear and chose the river lol ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you. As for this supposed case near glenallen, I'd probably choose the bear depending on location. If it was on the gulkana or the copper, I'd have to think real hard on jumping in.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Not an easy choice lol ... better to have your gun with you.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Chuck, since you seem interested in life here in AK. Just another day.

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/07/...ge-neighborhood.html

Jim

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
A couple of other incidents as well. Been a busy spring. I'm frankly more worried about getting stomped by a moose when I go to get the paper in the morning. We had a cow with a brand new calf walk through the yard yesterday.

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/03/...cks-kills-llama.html

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/23/...nagain-arm-bear.html

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/25/...-prompt-closure.html

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/28/...-moose-in-eagle.html

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Chuck, since you seem interested in life here in AK. Just another day.

Thanks! I miss Montana in the 70s and Alaska is still wilder than Montana was then. I'll be back up soon.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Yep plenty of bears in Anchorage.
This one got into a trash barrel I left out last fall in my back yard.

Another bear got shot yesterday in south Anchorage. Here's the story.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Check out this link:

collared bears around Anchorage

Holy cow, that's lot of data. It reminds me of our earthquake tracking stats here in Japan (most are quite minor.)

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote