THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Looking for 2, maybe 1 brown bear hunt this fall 2015

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 2, maybe 1 brown bear hunt this fall 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted
Hi,
I know this is a long shot. But, I thought I would try. My father turns 70 years young this October and we would like to hunt brown bear for his birthday. He has hunted twice before for brown bear with no luck. Once in the late 80’s and about 5 years. Since, this will probably be his last hunt in Alaska. I would like a real good chance at getting him a bear. Ideally, we would be able to hunt two bears with the same outfitter. I would consider doing a 2X1 hunt with so I could hunt with him and watch him get his bear.
He is in average shape for 70 year old business man that does not exercise. Lol. So , I need the hunt to be on light side as far as walking if possible.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a legitimate chance at 9ft plus bear.

Thanks,

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Todd, I may end up with spot this fall and know that Taj has at least one spot left over on Kodiak right after our season so can probably work something out.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil! Let's stay in touch.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Phil's area for Moose, and probably saw 10-12 Brownies a day. You'd think one was big, but then he'd look back and take off running, and out would come a REALLY BIG bear. Great area.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Bibs, tell them about the one you followed directly behind up to the spotting hill

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil where's taj's working on kodiak?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, there were actually 2. I was sitting on the flat just above where it falls down to the drainage. I was glassing the tundra across the river when my binos went black. I took them down and there was a Brownie that had crested the hill 20 feet in front of me right in my line of sight. I talked to him a bit and he slowly turned around and went back down to the river.

The other one came across behind me while I was glassing, about 30' behind me, and was heading to the guide and tracker 100 yards away. I got up and walked behind the bear, shouting to the guys ahead. He went right up to them, and was hard to scare off. The packer has taken a Moose out the day before, so his pack smelled like a Moose dinner to the young Brownie. Pretty cool stuff!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote