New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big investigation going on ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one heard of this big investigation going on in the southern part of Alaska right now ?.. In the Haines area with a native outfitter ??? I live in Alberta and apparently some taxidermist in my area has been sending bear and goat hunters to this outfit for some years up there. Something seems to have gone to hell as the 'federales' (obviously working in conjunction with the Alaskan authorities) have come in and seized bears and goats taken in the last 5 years from these guys. One seizure even involved the RCMP and 35 guns were also seized along with some animals. ???

My taxidermist (another guy) said that one of the fellows told him that the authorities have audio recordings of the hunt that he and his son did ... along with video recordings of him shooting gophers out of this truck window here in Canada ..

???

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting gophers out of the trk hell of a crime.

Thats the way to shoot gophers in some states.

Posts: 19433 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the gopher shooting or seizing of the guns has to do with something that might have happened in Alaska over the last five years in some area.. ??? Sometimes folks get carried away ... Confused Frowner

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Many states have law concerning carrying loaded firearms in a vehicle, and others concerning discharging firearms from or across a public road.

Those segments of the video might be a tie in with the rest of the case.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would the RCMP be in Alaska?

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
doing what they do best sticking there nose in shit it dont belong in

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was working, US federal authorities where not permitted to conduct investigations on Canadian soil. We would make a formal request for them to conduct our investigation which they would perform pursuant to our request within the limits of their laws. This applies to foreign authorities on our soil. If they come here they are not acting under the color of law, just as any other individual.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reckon that I didn't make my post too clear. Sorry about that. The federal Canadian fish and wildlife and the RCMP were doing the seizing for the American authorities here in Canada. I can only assume that they will then turn everything over to the Alaskan folks doing the investigating ... Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes more sense to me.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Another big one should be announced tomorrow. Another Palin appointee will bite the dust.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Mr Shoemaker said:

Wildlife chief charged with hunt violations

http://www.adn.com/2012/01/12/...arged-with-hunt.html

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addition to what I posted above.

http://media.adn.com/smedia/20...22/19/xDDfW.So.7.pdf

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the guide in Haines? Is it Ronnie Martin?

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last few years there has been a change in paper work required to transport any wild fish our game from Alaska into Canada. It all falls under the Lacy act.

I would wait to judge the people involved, there may not have been criminal intent, just not knowing the new rules. Anyway the Alaska wildlife tax troopers are always looking for new revenue sources and will blow the smallest things out of proportion. ie.. the bigger the stink the more money they can suck out of your check book.

Posts: 26 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 18 January 2012Reply With Quote