THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Our trip to have our boat hauled out (lot's of pictures!)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our trip to have our boat hauled out (lot's of pictures!)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Folks,

Since we're talking about boats lately, I thought I'd share some pictures of our boat getting hauled out in Petersburg, Alaska. This is the first time I've had it hauled since we bought it last summer. I hadn't even seen the bottom till now, as I bought the boat while it was in the water (the survey was recent though.)

The first thing we had to do was get the 200 miles from Sitka to Pburg. Fortunately the weather was great and the ride both ways was uneventful. On the way down we stopped at a favorite warm springs halfway between the two towns. I've posted pictures of this place before, here's the wife and youngest daughter sitting in the warm springs...

and me (fat and all) Smiler doing the same...

...there is another pool just out of the picture that's about 4 times bigger, but it was hotter too.

If you don't like the slimy pools, then these tubs are plumbed with the same water...

...and they're free.

(continued)

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
The boat at the Baranof Warm Springs dock...

...and the viscous guard dog...

A quick pic of the family (minus 2 oldest kids who are out of the nest Smiler ) using the timer and a lousy camera rest. The waterfall in the back is the river that runs next to the warm springs...

Okay, last non-subject related picture, maybe...

...but it does have a wooden boat in it! It's the fishermans memorial in Pburg with a Sons of Norway' Hall in the background. Thought some here might like that sort of thing. Wink

Next post will have actual pictures of a boat being hauled out.

Brian

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Okay, we finally get into Pburg Shipyard around 10:00PM Monday night and raft up off this 'glass boat for the evening...

...the rail way is behind the floating work shop we're docked against, but before the ferry dock behind the boats which blocks access (and escape if you screw up with the current) from open water.

We're scheduled for a 2:00PMish haul out time, as that's high tide even though there's still a 2.5knot current running though the narrows which Pburg calls a harbor. Here we line up and head for the uprights (if that's the correct nomenclature?)...

...I think this picture shows the boat size a bit better...

Almost had it perfect, but the slow speed and the current got me off line somewhat...

...but the shipyard had a skiff standing by right there that nudged out stern over to make everything alright again. Guess they saw the look in my eyes before I got started. Smiler

In the rails and ready to ride...

...to the top, and climb the ladder off the boat...

(next, the Ugly)

Brian

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Here's what it looked like down there...

...not pretty, some corrosion because it had been 3 years since her last haul out and a lot of the zincs (like the prop hub!) were gone.

Still, no serious damage or rotten wood. All the important stuff was still good, like thru-hulls, shaft bearing, keel coolers, etc.

(Next, the Good)

Brian

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Here she is all painted and zinced up...

...and back in the water.

Should be good for another year. Smiler

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian: Amazing..I like your boat..it looks big and seaworthy. Great photographs. It is amazing that you could get all that done so fast. (I like Petersburg..I own a small parcel on the Kupreanof side at the south end of W.Narrows)..Did you come up Wrangle Narrows?

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Robert,

We didn't go through the Narrows on this trip. Just did the Sitka up through Peril Straight, down Chatam Straight, and then east through Fredrick Sound till we hit Pburg. We spent the night in BWS going down, but on the way back we had a great current pushing us along faster than normal so we stayed awake and made one long 20 hour run. I vaguely recall going through Serious Narrows at 4:00AM with a 4.5 knot current on the stern. The GPS said we were making 11.5 knots, a new record for the Ginny C. Smiler

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Thanks for posting all those pics. Makes the memories of trips with Brad Dennison from Sitka, up to Hoonah, then down to Kupreanof come alive again.

Sure wish I had "...a small parcel on the Kupreanof side..." Smiler

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Thanks for sharing! One of these days I'll get down your way.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, Great pictures!!!

Are you useing that boat for the crab runs?

Looks like that type boat.

I had a old high school bubby that bought a crab boat and it sank after hitting some rocks. Id say around 1981,2,3 ish. He got hurt pretty bad .

Last I talked with him he is down in sandy oregon now.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance, but do you make your living with that boat? If so, what do you fish for?

What are some of the specs of the Ginny C?

Posts: 9 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She really looks great...all of the them. Next, you'll have to finish up with a tad more red...

Posts: 57 | Location: Houston Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: 15 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian of course you know that all us commercial seine boat guys always hit the cradle absolutely square, but old Fred keeps the pusher skiff handy anyway, just in case someone comes in Drunk or is having a bad tide day.

MattS, nobody make a living off their boats, it's the other way around. Those boats make their living off us. Anybody that's had to pay the shipyard bill knows that!

Some one should have taken a picture of the Fartstemper Sign, there by the Sons of Norway hall. Took me a while to figure out that it was for the speed bump planks on the dock/bridge over the slough. I think it translates into forward slower downer or something like that.

hope you got up to the lake at Warm Springs to toss a fly for some cutthroat, really a beautiful spot

Wayne

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote