THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Two Soldotna wood cutters charged by brown bear sow & cub

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Soldotna wood cutters charged by brown bear sow & cub
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Two Soldotna residents gathering wood at a local wood cutting area on Funny river road. Were charged on Sunday by a brown bear sow and her two year old cub. Luckily they saw the brown bears first and had time to ready their guns. They were standing in a large clearing and clearly visible. The bears seamed to know the men were there, and looked as if they were circling in order to get their wind. The two men stayed together and made there presence known. The bears keep circling, for no apparent reason the mother bear charged down the hill and straight across the clearing to the men. Both of the men shoot when the bear was 20' away. Killing the mother instantly.
This story is sure to be in Tuesdays papers.

>

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This hasn't been in the papers yet, has it? We have some friends who live in that area, and they said they hadn't heard anything about it. [Confused] Sounds like they had a little bit of excitement!

Posts: 37 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 11 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
Two Soldotna residents gathering wood at a local wood cutting area on Funny river road. Were charged on Sunday by a brown bear sow and her two year old cub. Luckily they saw the brown bears first and had time to ready their guns. They were standing in a large clearing and clearly visible. The bears seamed to know the men were there, and looked as if they were circling in order to get their wind. The two men stayed together and made there presence known. The bears keep circling, for no apparent reason the mother bear charged down the hill and straight across the clearing to the men. Both of the men shoot when the bear was 20' away. Killing the mother instantly.

>

Have not heard a word on that one [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Maybe that was an old story?

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am amazed the Peninsula Clarion (283-3299 or 262-6009 ) never ran a story. They called the troopers so there has to be a police report on file. Two very good friends of mine were involved in this bear incident. ( I do not want to publicly put there names out on the internet ). I think everybody should call the clarion and ask them why the decided not to cover this story. You should also call fish & game 262-9368

>

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likey wasn't covered as there was no personal injury. (expect for the bear [Big Grin] ). Just show that a alert person well armed wins.

Posts: 19598 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Soldotna Fish & Game this morning. I asked why this bear incident wasn't reported. He said defense of life bear kills are almost never reported in the paper. He also informed me there has been 18 bear kills on the Kenai Penisula this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert johnson: Can you ask your friends what guns and ammo were used, and how many shots taken during the charge?

I am always interested in such data, and try to keep track of it as much as possible. So far from what can gather, the majority of bears that are killed by Alaskans during a charge have died to the average hunting cartridges, from the .30-30 to .338WM and such. For the past few years, lots of .338's and .300's have been used, but years ago there were lots of smaller calibers such as .30-30, and .30-06's being used.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the guys had a 20 ga. and the outer had a . 338. The man with the 20 ga. blew the rear toe off the bear. Fortunately the outer guy with the .338 killed the bear. This goes to show you your aim is more important, that than the caliber of weapon you shoot.

>

one of us
posted Hide Post
Between the papers and what I've seen in the last couple of years of hiking and hunting the kenai, Its high time for a harvest hunt of brown bears. Whether its a 2 week season or whatever. the numbers are there and its time to bring it back to perspective. For the number of people and tourist on the penninsula throughout the year, way to many bears.

Robert, Did you talk to Tom, the new director at F&G in soldotna? hes a hell of a guy. I volunteered at the MRC there in sterling and met him. A real down to earth hunter and I hope he stays at that office for a while. He has some good ideas.

[ 10-25-2003, 09:58: Message edited by: JoelS ]

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the guys had a 20 ga. and the outer had a . 338. The man with the 20 ga. blew the rear toe off the bear. Fortunately the outer guy with the .338 killed the bear. This goes to show you your aim is more important, that than the caliber of weapon you shoot.

Thank you for the information.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with the harvest of brown bears on the peninsula. i have a cabin near sterling and the brown bears are just infested down there to a point where i dont let the kids wonder around and have a rifle at all times. weve had them in camp and have seen as many as 7 different sets of brown bears in 1 day. ive talked to f and g and they admit they dont know how many are down there, its to hard to count. but every year i hear of problems and maulings involving them. ive also noticed these bears are not that scared of people (not Good) i.e. maybe they havent been hunted enough to instill man is bad, stay away program in their head. i think they should have a spring season and cull a few out

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:

>

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com Made Sundays paper The big story says nothing
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TS,
Interesting article. Its funny how he kinda skirts the issue about why so many DLP's lately. F&G knows just like everybody else on whats going on. To many people in a bear rich area, plain and simple. In this case I'm glad it worked out that no one got hurt. A friend of my wifes shot a DLP along Skilak lake road while fishing above the Gorge (a couple miles down from Jims landing). Used up a whole mag of 10MM but he killed the sow. F&G didnt question him one bit. They gotta thin out the bear #'s if they are gonna allow that many people fish the kenai. Since they cant regulate who fishes the kenai, guess the bears gotta be regulated. I'd say that 75% of the bear problems are along the major fishing routes but basically its a problem on the kenai as a whole.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, Dave Silva, who lives near Soldotna just sent me an E-mail a couple weeks ago, telling me a friend of his has been harrassed by a yearling lately, and they have begun takeing a rifle when going to the outhouse. He says his friend knows he will most likely have to kill this bear, even after he comes out of his sleep, because he has started to break in a couple times, when his wife was cooking! [Eek!]

I agree the Bears on the Kenai need to get used to being hunted again! They'er getting a little cheeky, and need a little sting from time to time! I'll be glad to help! [Big Grin]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote