THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Had A Negative Experience At Great Northern Guns

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had A Negative Experience At Great Northern Guns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Yes, believe it or not, for the first time since I found GNG back in 1982, I had a negative experience:

Wife and I went in to the zoo for a few days for some Christmas shopping and running around. We thought we'd stop in at GNG to see what was in the racks. While at GNG, my wife decided to buy a shotgun for her brother, as he does a great deal of hunting for his mom to ensure she doesn't run out of food, and his Browning Sweet 16 is literally falling apart.

GNG is one of the very few firearms businesses that my wife will go into, and recommend to other women, because the salesmen have NEVER talked down to her, or in any way acted condescendingly to her because she's a woman.

While I was looking at all the toys, a very nice salesman (a black fellow), walked up to her and asked if she'd like to see anything in particular. She told him she'd been thinking of purchasing a shotgun for her bother. So he asked what type of shotty did he have, pump or auto...and so on...carefully determining her what she was thinking of buying and what brand and model. (I just stood out of the way and observed how a skilled salesman can be a true asset to any business.)

Well, she settled on a Remington 870 12 ga. "Field Grade" with the laminated stock for $359.00. She wanted to sleep on it and so we began walking out until I saw the group of Colt M4 copies leaning against the wall.

I had my wife hold a few, and pointed out to her they had the heavy barrel, and so were heavier, than the original A-1 Colt SP1's from the mid-70's to whenever they went to the heavier barrels. It was at this point a young fellow behind the counter asked loudly if I was talking about the 14.5" barreled carbines. I told him no, but the civilian 16.5" barreled version from the early 70's to 80's. He looked at me like I was nuts, then said again loudly, that he worked on guns all the time, and had never seen anything like what I was talking about....we just left while the helpful salesman looked apologetically at us.

This experience won't stop us from browsing again at GNG, as I don't think this fellow will last long at all, and if he is there, we'll just ignore him.

We were going to go back the next day to pick up the Remmie, but I checked an online sales site for Alaska and found a Mossberg 835.

I was so impressed by the fellow who was working with my wife that I have written a nice letter to the management of GNG describing the excellent experience she had.

I have identified this man previously as "a black fellow" because I forgot his name, he is a great guy to deal with, and if anyone is interested in taking their wife in to GNG, this guy will talk her into buying you something.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent been in GNG for years and dont plan on going back. It may have changed personnel since I was there last but I'm still hesitant. If I want arrogance and folks telling me what I want then there is 1 or 2 other stores I can go into.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Yep. I do most of my shopping there. The black gentleman (I forget his name too) is exactly that.....a gentleman. Not sure who the young guy is. Thirties, shaved head, asian or philipino? I've seen a guy work there a time or two that fit that discription. I've also watched Jeff work with a lady or two and was similarly impressed.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
GNG is one of the biggest and respected gun shops in Alaska and I'm sure there is a reason for that but I suffered a royal screwing by them a few years back.

I could have made a big issue out of that incident and in fact I was advised by a lawer that I had a solid case but in the end I knew that it was probably more important to me to keep my peace with them because I would be needing their services in the future.

So I guess I kept my mouth shut because they do provide a service to our community.

As far as the sales staff there seems to be no middle of the road. Some of them have fabulas personalitys and a couple are down right asses.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
As far as the sales staff there seems to be no middle of the road. Some of them have fabulas personalitys and a couple are down right asses.

I get along very well with Yog, but that said I could see how he could rub someone the wrong way. Joe as well. Everyone else? VERY nice people and I can't imagine anyone having a beef with them.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in western AK I bought a 375 from them. The next time I visited about 6 months later, they greeted me by name when I walked through the door and asked how the rifle was working out. I was amazed. Needless to say we spent an hour discussing the hunts I'd used it on, animals, etc.

To say they have some good salesmen is an understatement!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had good experiences there at GNG, being a young guide they never talk down to me or treated me like i was clueless...
now chimo guns in wasilla....thats a WHOLE NOTHER STORY! haven't been in that store in almost 9 years...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Iv'e had nothing but bad experiences at GNG for over thirty years. Every time I go in I find more stuff than I can afford. Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
The next time I visited about 6 months later, they greeted me by name when I walked through the door and asked how the rifle was working out.

Yep. Yog in perticular is amazing at that. He remembers people and rifles..........for ever. Serously!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not been there in a few years but Joe and his crew were always first rate. I have bought and traded guns with them and have had nothing but good experiences. Tom

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were at their height when Red was their gunsmith. He could really work over a winchester.
One of my main guns is a xtr push feed that he "fixed". It holds four 300 mag shells in the magazine and works as only it should.

Red paid a lot of attention to the balance and operation of a rifle. I think he still works out in Chickaloon.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately gunstore staff seems to run the gammut of decent folks to jerks. It really doesn't bother me as I don't go to a gunstore to get the assistance of the guys behind the counter.

The black guy at GNG is a very nice gentleman, and really treated my boy right when I was picking out his first centerfire rifle.

The one gunstore where I've found all the staff is good people is Boondocks in Eagle River. I used to make a weekly trip there with the boys, they'd always handle stuff on the used racks, sometimes I'd go home empty handed, sometimes some items would follow us home. Always treated us well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like boondocks.

The worst of the 2 expieriances I had at GNG was one time I was in there and seen a real nice bigbore on the rack behind the counter. I asked the guy if I could see it, he just looked at me and said "you cant afford it" and walked away. excuse the hell out of me. He didnt know me from adam but he thought he knew my status.

If I recall it was a 458 something and it was around $2500.

Last time I was there, I figure with salesmen like that, they dont need my money. I think it was around the time my wife got ahold of Paul to buy that 458lott, or however I ended up with that rifle.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed the guys at great northern guns. THey have always treated me with respect and fairly. I have bought lots of stuff from them. Personally I really like Yog. He is knowledgable and entertaining.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
I asked the guy if I could see it, he just looked at me and said "you cant afford it" and walked away.

I could see how that might put a bad taste in one's mouth! Hopefully said person didn't work there for much longer.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
GNGs was always a stop for me when we came to town. I hardly ever left there without dropping a few hundred to much more than that before I left. They had and probably still do have a good selection of guns that you just don't find at your loca Wal-Mart.

The staff changed pretty frequently with some guys being more knowledgable than others and most being pleasant to deal with. I do remember one guy that sticks in my mind that was with Joe for a long time and I think he was there in '04 when I left. He was rotund, had short black hair, glasses and a short beard. He was just plain rude and with me at least he always seemed to take on an agressive attitude. I could never figure why Joe kept him on.

Regardless of the staff if I was back in Anchorage and looking for something a litte bit different for a rifle I would definitely visit GNG.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Question for the OP?

How many forums are you posting your whine?

Ya coulda simply called JOE the owner instead of posting the same whine on multiple gun forums ya know?

GNG is the best shop in the state, nuff said.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Yep. Yog in perticular is amazing at that. He remembers people and rifles..........for ever. Serously!

Brett

I agree with Brett and others. Yog would always remembers my name where I work. GNG is usually my first stop when I get to town and their prices are always competitive, especially when compared to Mountain View, et al. I have also found the help to be courteous, helpful and low pressure.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
and low pressure

Except that Yog tries to sell me another Wilson .45 every time I stop in! Big Grin Of course I provoke him by fondling them!!! My favorite was when he was helping a couple find the right shotgun for the lady. She was partial to one and her husband was partial to another for her. Yog, "I have the perfect solution.....buy them both!" I was about bent over laughing!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson