Find
Notify
Tools

Fall Kodiak Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted
I am exploring the possibilities of doing a Fall hunt for Kodiak Bear 2024/25.
Really keen to see if I can combine a Kodiak Mountain Goat in the same trip.
Travel is such a nightmare from AUSTRALIA so a combination hunt makes the air miles worth while.
Really looking for feedback if any one has done something similar.

Have been looking at Outfitters and in correspondence with these 3
Hunt Alaska. Scott Mildura
Grizzly Skins of Alaska. Phil Shoemaker and family
Munsey Bear Camp. Mike Munsey
Interested in hearing anyone’s experience hunting Brown Bear with these guys.

Thanks in Advance
Scott
AUSTRALIA

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
All good choices
Let's hope the Covid police allow it

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Yes the COVID fiasco certainly has played havoc with travel anywhere, and really is a major consideration with booking any hunt so far in advance .
Still trying to get a Black Bear hunt done on Vancouver Island from last year.

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a spring hunt with Mike Munsey several years ago. Took a nice old bear half way through the hunt. Saw goats every day but did not hunt them. Mike runs a first class operation. Camp, food, guides all great. Get in shape, lots of climbing involved.

Posts: 74 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Mike Munsey this past fall. Great camp and great people to be around. I killed a nice Sitka Blacktail and a beautiful bear that squared just under the magic 10 foot mark at 9"11".
We looked at goats on the mountains nearly every day, but my focus was bear. I killed by bear in the evening of the 13'th day so there was no time left before I had to leave to hunt goats.

Mike had three camps operating with one hunter in each camp. All three of us got our bears.

During the hunt I watched and videoed humpback whales, killer whales, fin whales, seals, sea lions, sea otter, river otter, red fox, weasels, sitka blacktail deer, mountain goats, more species of birds than I could recognize and of course bears.

I hunted from the main lodge which includes hot showers, flush toilets, very comfortable heated cabin and superb meals prepared by Mike's wife Robin. It was more like a resort then a back country camp.
Up the bay is another of his camps with a cabin and wood heat. A little more primitive but the hunter there had no complaints.
In the next bay over he has a tent camp, which gives you the full back country experience if thats what you want.

Book your flight so you arrive 2-3 days early and 4-5 days after your hunt. Weather is a real factor in float plane travel on Kodiak and it's best to have as much time buffer as you can. There's things to do and see in the village of Kodiak that are worth the time too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your replies. Makes things easier when you find two such positive reports.
Tree-em, thanks for such a great summary and suggestions, Aprreciate it
Scott

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Skins, been out with them twice, 9 FT on the second hunt

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Munsey has goats.
Phil does not.
Unsure about the other name you mentioned. Fall kodiak can be a tough hunt. Spring is much better. Phil likely has much better fall hunting as their season is almost a month earlier and more daylight and salmon still around.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote