New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which wadders?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be brown bear hunting this Sept. Starting from Sitka. Met with the guide last night. The one thing he said I would need that I do not have are neoprene waders.
He said we would be walking streams from knee deep to chest deep. He did say to avoid felt soles. Any suggestions on what to purchase would be appreciated.
I know I need a boot with really good support, as I have some foot problems.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would talk to the guide to see what they use since these fellows use them everyday. I hunted Alaska twice and the guide required hip boots but the only time I used them was getting on or off the float plane. I have two pair of hips and one wadder and I would hate to think of walking around in them all day since I like you like ankle support and perspire with out a plastic bag around me. If someone would come up with a goretex liner that one could wear normal boots over would be great, If you find out let us know and with any gear Alaska is not the place to test them out, do it at home and see if they cut it

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Try a pair of fishing Chest wadders. Sims makes a great pair and they hold up well. You can wear regular boots with them. I know of several guides that are using this system.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.C,

I use a pair of Cabela's waist high stockingfoot waders in their proprietary breathable material(don't recall the name)with my Koflach boots and they work very well.......have also used the Cabela's coated nylon stockingfoot hip waders although they are not as comfy as the waist highs. The waist highs were around $100.00, the nylon hippers were much less.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't get the 5mm waders, I think you'll like the 3mm much better if you have to do much walking. Cabela's has pretty good ones. Get the stocking foot and a good lace-up, knobby-soled wader boot to go with them. You might consider a half size or so larger than normal, so you can wear an extra pair of socks with them.
But the suggestion to check with your guide is probably the best idea. Ask them what they recommend...

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get the chest waders (good idea..I've used hippers and waders; the waders are better IMO), be careful which boots you buy. If you're hunting in the fall the salmon stream bottoms are slick as owl sh*t. I bought a fairly mild composite soled boot (Bass Pro) and slipped and fell too many times to count. I'm thinking spiked felt would have been good ... at the very least an aggressive rubber tread.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I am going myself this August and I bought a pair of Cabelas Dry Plus waist waders with a foot sock. Neoprene waders will get torn to shreads by the alders and brush thickets. I will be using the waders with a pair of vasque boots. If you get a stockingfoot wader you have the flexibility of using whatever boot you want. I would be nervous wading for brown bears in anything above my waist, plus if the chest waders fill up you'll sink like a lead balloon to the bottom. Think I tell the guide we need to find shallower water. You need to be in a boat if its over your waist.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dr. C,
Just ask your guide for advice. We all have our favorites, and you're getting some great ideas from others. However, some waders are alot more noisy than others to hunt in, and some are just flat out uncomfortable to have on all day. Ask your guide what he wears, then TRY THEM ON. Every body's body is different, so I sure wouldn't buy them through a catalogue unless I had already tried them on. I know Cabela has a great return policy, and I'm a good customer of theirs. Also, find out if you're actually going to be wearing them all day or not. If you are he'll proably recommend the thicker stuff as there are lots of things to grab you and poke holes in your neoprene in southeast Alaska. Also, if you're in them all day be sure to get good boots and make sure they fit, and remember that they will loosen up through the day as they become water logged (and they'll also shrink up when they dry out after you take them off so they will probably feel tight at first the next time you put them on). Also, spend the extra money and get ankle guards, as they really keep all the crap out of your boots. One final thing, wear some light weight long johns (polypro) under the neoprene. I personally think neoprene always feels clammy on me. Good luck in southeast.

Posts: 9 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, our guide did recommend Cabelas neoprene. I have not had a chance to speak to him recently on the 3mm or the 5mm.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote