Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for moose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello

If you had to choose a bullet for moose from a 300 Weatherby which would you choose, 180gr TSX or the 220gr Nosler Part.? Or is this splitting hairs?

Thanks for your opinions

Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If either of those shoot well in your rifle you would have a deadly combination. 180 and 200 grain Partitions would do the trick as well. Any of the two you mentioned should give complete penetration on a Moose.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going after the antlers or a trophy then either will work, I say it this way as the weatherby is too fast for meat hunting. It is going to kill there is no question there but......if I chose one or the other it would be the 220 grn. Partition. My experience with Barnes is that they are accurate and kill very well but it is the exit that has me always concerned-blood shot carries out quite away.

I have sold my .300 win mag and went with the .30-338, don't make much cents I know but I now load up with the Woodleigh 240grain Protected Point. My .30-06's do well with the 180's on up to heavier bullets.

bottom line is you have to be ethical in your kill-I do like the Swifts, Barnes and Partitions. Have some North Forks but need to field test them-soon I hope on BB.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Does not matter if the bullet is on target! If not than a a bazoka would be good! Practise, practise, practise! Shoot, shoot, practise, get the picture?

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I could go on for hours all about all the things I don't know anything about. This subject is one of the very few things I do have an education on.

For the last ten years I've used the 300 Weatherby quite a bit on moose here in Dillingham, and no it's not too fast and no it does not inflict too much meat damage. It has proven to me to be an excellent round for the big boys and has kept my freezer full every year.

With the afore mentioned experience I have had some interesting but probably predictable results with different bullets. The Nosler Partition bullets are very good in either the 180 or 220g weights. The Barnes TSX are the same. I would expect a pass thru with the Barnes, but wouldn't be suprised to recover the Nosler. The Nosler Ballistic Tips come apart, but do penetrate some and kill moose. The Swift A Frames are excellent, good penetration, good expansion, expect to recover these. The Scirrocco's come apart a little, but as with the Ballistic Tips, do penetrate and do kill. The only bullet I have had fail on moose in the .300 W is the Sierra 180g Pro Hunter. Accuracy with the Sierra was excellent, but the bullet blew up on ribs twice at about 90 yards. The lungs on the bull I was poking at were filled with shrapnel, and the heart had been penetrated with a pencil lead size piece of bullet.

Posts: 9214 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoot, shoot, practise, get the picture?

now aktoklat, we know all of that stuffSmiler the choice was shooting a 3200fps 180 tsx at a moose or
a 220 nosler at 2700 fps- my choice still is the nosler. After eating Moose for the last 50 yrs I would opt for the Nosler.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to split the hairs and use the best bullet available, pick the 200 grain North Fork. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
180-200gr Accubonds or TSX will be my suggestions. I personally use 180gr Accubonds in my 300WM, but I have loaded up some 200 in Accubonds and TSX but never went to the range with them yet. Taken several moose over the years using 180gr bullets (Failsafes, Partition Golds, now Accubonds) in northern Alberta. Same with my hunting buddy who shots the same rifle and caliber.

Swift A-frames maybe another to look at.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Phurley5,

The North Fork? Hardly!

Best is a matter of opinion. And while the North Fork may be one of the pricer projectiles, I wouldn't consider it to be the best.

My moose rifles in 338, 9.3x62, 35 Whelan, 9.3x64, or 358 Norma will all be with 250-270 grain Partitions or Swifts.

I like monometal bullets, but I want something with a flat or semi-round mepat. The South Africa firm owned by the twin daughters of a gunsmith make something similar to what I am talking about.

Every moose I have been in on the killing of has went down like glass jawed fighter. Most were with the 30-40 Krag, 30-06, or 308.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coloradoyaler,

Personally I think the 300 Weatherby with either of the bullets you mentioned would work fine. If I could pick a bullet it might be the 200 Nosler Partition as I can drive it at 2960fps im my 300 Win Mag and it seems to work very well on a great range of game including moose. No bullet will give you a better compromise between penetration and tissue destruction than the NP. I feel the significant drop in velocity when using the 220 NP negates any advantage it has over 200 NP.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado:
Phurley's right on with this one. I don't know the weights available for 30 cal. rifles but I'd go with the heaviest weight North Fork available. I wouldn't go lower than 180 however. Barring that, I'd use a Partition. Got my bull last fall with a 225 gr. NF in the .338. We recovered the bullet under the hide on the right rear quarter after it penetrated from the left front. It's a perfect mushroom & weighs 217-218 grs. What's not to like. They're as accurate or even more so than the Partition in my .338. Try 'em, I think you'll really like 'em. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99 ----- I took my only Moose with a 250 grain Nosler Combined Technonogy bullet that was deadly with my .340 Wby. Since then I have discovered the North Fork bullets and have taken them to Colorado, Alberta and Africa many times and beleave me if you like the accuracy of the Nosler Partitions, Barnes amd Swifts, you will fall in love with the accuracy of the North Forks. I have shot them through my .270 WSM, 7mmSTW, .300 Winny, .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA, .416 Rem and Rigby, and taken many animals from Elk to Cape Buffalo with them and they beat all the others in accuracy and toughness in my rifles. I want my bullets tough but I also want that accuracy that other bullets only dream about. I loaded a 200 grain North Fork for a buddy to take to New Mexico for Elk and he came home with a fine 6X6 that he took at 418 yards and recovered the bullet with it's perfect mushroom that you can look at on the North Fork Web Site. Just my .02 worth. wave

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Every moose I have taken has been shot with a NP, not saying the Barnes or Northforks won't work, I just like to stick with what works.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want to split hairs, i would go with the 200 gr. n.p..

if you want to stick to the choices, i would go with the 220 gr. n.p.. can i help it if i like heavy for caliber bullets for close shots....

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the Barnes for penetration. The last moose I took was with the 270 with 130 grain X bullets. In my Weatherby while I had it, I shot only 180 grain Partitions for everything from deer to Bear. I didn't like that darn rifle and traded it for a 300 Win Mag.

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
Bigger is better, just in case the big brown bear wants you or your moose.

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote