New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle stock??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've read it more than once a hunt in Alaskas weather will ruin a wood rifle stock and most recommend synthetic, but for a two week hunt how a laminate stock hold up?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a laminate stock would hold up but its heavier.I had to almost totally change to fiberglass and plastic stock to keep from ruining my rifles .Dont forget stainless also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take care of it and it will last a lifetime! That is how I learned cheers What do you think they did up here for a hundered years when blue steel & wood were the only option? Alaska was built on Blue steel & Wood Springfields, Enfields and M70' pisserss

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

Unless you want to spend your time cleaning, wiping down and generally messing with your rifle while in Alaska leave the nice wood at home. Laminated stocks are fine but as suggested they tend to be quite heavy.

For the years I lived in Alaska I found if I had to be careful where I laid my rifle down, couldn't use it for a walking stick or otherwise had to be very careful of it the rifle was too much bother. Give me a synthetic/stainless rifle everytime.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Take care of it and it will last a lifetime! That is how I learned cheers What do you think they did up here for a hundered years when blue steel & wood were the only option? Alaska was built on Blue steel & Wood Springfields, Enfields and M70' pisserss

+1
None of my rifles are stainless/synthetic (well I do have a brand new one that is, but it hasn't been in the field yet) and all are holding up just fine, thank you. My hunts are typically 10 days to 2 weeks of living out of a tent in some of the wettest areas in the state. Take care of the wood and blue rifle and it will take care of you. It's not that much trouble really. You just can't abuse it as much as a ss/syn rifle. Most of us are gun savvy enough to not abuse the rifles anyway.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My nearly completed "mountain" rifle is blued/walnut....my brown bear rifle and two .22cal I have are stainless/synthetic.....everything else is blued/walnut....just takes a few seconds of extra care in the field to keep them in working order.....use what you enjoy and your time in Alaska will be even better.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote