New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift 350 gr .416" A-frames
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I swung by Mountain View Sports at lunch, and noticed several boxes of the above mentioned bullets on their sale table. Now for the life of me I can't remember the sale price, but it was definately under $40/50. If I had a 416, I would have picked up a couple of boxes. I can't think of a better brown bear bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Paul . . . . I don't have a .416 either, but if i did, it would probably be a 416 Taylor. Why do you think the 350 A-frame is better than the 400 partition?

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My thinking is a "premium" 350 gr is sufficient to get consistant exits on a brownie, double shoulder shot, and once you get consistant exits, the only way to hit em harder, is to drive the bullets faster. My thinking is a 350 gr A-frame or X @ 2600-2700 fps from a 416 would be about the ideal all around bear load. But, since I'll never be able to shoot enough brownies to find that out in the field, it is all conjecture on my part.

I can see the 400 gr for thick skinned African game, but the 350 gr seems better suited for NA.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I split the difference with these bullets at 370grs...

...out of a 416 Taylor.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those 350 gr A frame use to be loaded in Remington Factory 416 rem mag ammo.I bought about 7 boxes even though I reload.It is a very accurate bullet and expands very good.I shot some 1" groups with the remington Factory stuff.It is pretty flat shooting clocked at 2650 in my 24" 416 Rem mag.I also like 350 gr Speer Mag tips they are $20 a box.Speer was bringing them out as Grand Slam bullets but left them at $20 a box instead of jacking them to $40 a box.Barnes quit making the most accurate bullet I tried in 416.The 325 gr x bullet.I shot some 1.5" groups out of my Winchester Custon Express rifle at 200 yards.I got 2800 fps out of my reloads with that load.The bullet that expands the most and goes the deepest is kinda a tie between Nosler 400 gr partitions and the 410 gr woodleigh bullets.The woodleigh .416 bullets will expand up to .90 caliber.They 416 can be alot longer long range gun than you would think.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only X bullet I liked was the 325 grain 416 bullet. Considered it to be the ultimate for all 416's from my little 416/350 Rem mag on up to my 416 Rigby.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .416 Rigby and Rem like the 370 grain North Fork bullet. Very accurate and the mushroom is the best I have tested. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I can't believe BearClaw is letting those go. Maybe he has enough already.But he also is totally sold on Woodleighs so maybe he doesnt use anything else.

PS-How's the boat coming along.
Regards,
Ron

Posts: 15 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I got the bottom panels glued to the stringers and transom this weekend. I have to glue the top 1/2 of the front panels on (two 1/4" ply panels laminated together), then to the sides. My revised goal is to have the hull flipped by the end of February. Not sure if I'll have it on the water this summer or not. It's more an issue of having funds for power then the construction at this point.

There is a guy down in Kenai building a nearly identicle boat to mine, stretched to 22' and change as well with the cuddy cabin and pilot house.

posted Hide Post
Paul,
Yea, he works up here with me and lives about a mile out behind me. I have not been over there recently but he almost has it done. I'm going over this time home to check it out. I think his pics are on the boat site as RonsAK47.

Sorry everyone for going off thread!

Posts: 15 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize you were a sloper. Since I'm the moderator, I started the thread, and you asked about my boat, you couldn't possibly be going off thread

I've seen pics of Ron's boat on the Yahoo Tolman forums, and it looks very nice!

So how is your 505 shooting?