New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those Fatal Hormones
 Login/Join

<Lars G>
posted
This image shows a bull moose suspected of dying from a battle with another bull. The bull was found on the BLM Campbell Tract property. I haven't the foggiest where this is, though. Maybe you boys up north can enlighten me.

-

I kinda figure he took a brow tine thru the eye socket and into the brain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoever took that pic must've come on that bull within minutes of it dying. It hasn't even started to bloat.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BLM Campbell Tract is in Anchorage, off 68th.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone head shot him.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very respectable bull, did the photo taker submit this to be published in the anchorage newspaper? This would be one way to let the bunny huggers see that moose can be very aggressive during the fall rut. Maybe it is time to open a hillside archery hunt, lots of moose running around this town. KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing that crossed my mind was if anyone tried to retrieve the meat. If it really was a fresh kill there is about 600lb. of prime eating there once the animal is processed. Seems like at least a shelter or somebody should get it.

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the rest of the bull's head. I have my doubts it was killed in a fight. The left side of it's body and head is perfect...no marks. Looks like it was shot.

I agree about the meat recovery. I have a roadkilled cow in the freezer right now. It's great meat.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P Dog Shooter,
That was my thought also. I'd be digging for a slug. It could also be another one like the brown bear pictures from about three years ago that recently showed up with human remains associated with it.

Posts: 60 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen 4 bulls die this way, 2 took brow tines through the eye 1 for sure, we saw the two tussling, then went down with our guns, the other guy got the other bull as it trotted away, 1 brow tine was wet with blood, the other bull was like that one, the other time, it looked much the same as this, but more battle damage, cuts on the face and neck. the other two cut the holy crap out of each other, and died a few days later. The reason I dont think this is a shooting, is because of its location, 68th is close to my house, close enough we would have most likely heard the shot, and we saw this bull, or one that looks damn like it, and a few others in the area in the past few weeks. And I've seen my father, and friends head shoot bulls with 300 wm and 338's and it usualy does more damage than that. much more, my fathers 338 fail safe nearly blew the antlers free on one shot. maybe a 22 lr, but that would be a hell of a shot

[ 11-07-2003, 03:00: Message edited by: Dark Paladin ]

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea that was kind of my point (although it wasn't spelled out)...you would have to be nuts to head shoot a bull with a centerfire rifle in the city but a rimfire is a real possibility. It's not that hard of a shot. I know guys who have shot many caribou with rimfires. Usually one shot each through the ear.

Guys do stuff all the time for stunts. Lots of guys in the city have silencers on their rimfires too. I mean, no marks on the head at all? Sure, natural death is possible but not likely.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote