THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Moose hunt with 'Rough & Ready' Outfitters

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose hunt with 'Rough & Ready' Outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
Not quite home yet, we are having fun driving the Alcan - But, just finished a trophy Moose hunt with Kelly Vrem and his 'Rough and Ready Outfitters'. Got the hunt lined up through Mark Young.
SO.....what is the bottom line? All is can say is WOW! Perfect Experience! Did not think anything could compete with my 1st Elephant hunt, but this is right there. Super highly recommended! Pictures will come, but here are some details.
Guide: Monty Munns. Absolutely MADE the hunt. He listens to his client (now friend). Best horse wrangler I've ever seen and I've been on horses all my life. Knows the area. Recognizes and judges Moose great. Could have killed wider -- BUT, he got me what I wanted. Hard horn, 60" wide. Huge fronts, long points all around. Ect. Etc. Saw 70 inchers, but this was what I wanted!
Area: Wrangell-St. Elias park and preserve. Big Moose everywhere. Beauty UNSURPASSED! Bush plane in. Horses to wall tent spike camp with stove. Then spot and stalk.
Would do it again in a second!

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats brother !

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the pictures and read the story....

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Added a better pic of Brennan's bull

Above is Brennan's bull and I'm posting this for him as he is driving back to NM.

Thanks Brennan for letting me play a small part in your adventure. I'm glad you could take advantage of the deal that Kelly was offering.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If one does not have a winch to get the moose on land, I can't imagine the chore to clean one in the water! On the positive side, at least the meat will cool quickly!
Congratulations.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice moose! Looks like that was as far outa the water as you guys could pull it?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys......it's like this: All my family kills our Moose in the water!
1. It makes for GREAT, unique pictures.
2. It makes for a very memorable hunt if and when you ever thaw out.
3. Kelly's Great guide, Monty did 90% of the work!
4. I only shot him, but he died with his boots on as he committed suicide and drown himself.

On the whole however - it is much better if they expire on land!

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brennan,

That's nothing! He's nearly on dry land. Came around a corner just above Portage Creek on the Nushagak river one fine day in moose season to see two guys in a little weedy bay with a dead moose a long way from the land. The moose was a brute and all you could see of him was his right antler and the very top of his rib cage. I snickered but thanked my luck stars it was not me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Congratulations my friend!

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That would be a bucket lister for me.
Just wondering how the meat fared on that long drive home.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
The meat fared wonderfully.....because we donated it to the native American people at Chitina. We did not have any type of plug in freezer - and quickly came to realize that that the task of attempting transport home would be overwhelming. So..........
That being said, I had no problems bringing antlers through - but trying to bring the cape or meat looked like it was going to turn into a big deal with Canadian authorities. So, I didn't chicken out - but basically chickened out!
In retrospect, a good decision I think.
The drive there wasn't long - but the drive home was endless. Ha!

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
The meat fared wonderfully.....because we donated it to the native American people at Chitina. We did not have any type of plug in freezer - and quickly came to realize that that the task of attempting transport home would be overwhelming. So..........
That being said, I had no problems bringing antlers through - but trying to bring the cape or meat looked like it was going to turn into a big deal with Canadian authorities. So, I didn't chicken out - but basically chickened out!
In retrospect, a good decision I think.
The drive there wasn't long - but the drive home was endless. Ha!

Bringing meat and trophies across the border is no big deal. We do it all the time.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine hunt.

I also have never had a problem at the border with meat or hides. As long as you have the appropriate license and tags for what you hunted it's pretty easy.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great result in some beautiful country

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote