New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bears in the yard.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apropos of a discussion awhile back on this forum, I thought I'd pose the question again. I described the situation in a suburban New Jersey town with this and a bigger bear in my friend's yard on an almost daily basis....garbage day or not(and he keeps it inside BTW). This pic is at 11am......he has 4 kids that play outside, the youngest of which is 3. He has called F & G multiple times and their response has been the same "They can't do anything about it". Well?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he's there that often he's finding something to eat. Eliminate the food and he will go away.
Couple dogs would help.
Common where I live.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd agree if it were the boonies. I'm not of the opinion that bears belong in densely populated neighborhoods with kids playing outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have black bears in our yard almost every week during the berry season. One year we even had a brown bear around that I never saw anything but sign of. We are now in a built up neighborhood and we always know when the new neighbor has a cat because the cops show up looking for the bear that came on their porch to get the cat food. That never lasts long because the local eagles take old 9 lives away pretty quick if they don't get the clue that cats aren't outdoor animals.

I actually like having big ones around because they are usually smart enough to stay out of trouble and also keep the "teenagers" away. Rarely have one that bothers us and if they do it's usually a dumb thing we did like leaving the smoker out.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
get a couple of aqua net hair spray cans and slather it with peanut butter, leave them out in the yard, it won't take him long to avoid the place after taking a bite out of that "butter finger". Its a trick we have used to keep bears off deer bait piles in northern michigan.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
NAUHTIN , I like the way you think ..
. Most every one knows my thots on suburban bears ..................BANG ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
NAUHTIN , I like the way you think ..
. Most every one knows my thots on suburban bears ..................BANG ..

I knew you wouldn't let me down gumboot....

And I just passed the aqua net idea to my bud.....thanks, we'll see what happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About four years ago had one rip the door of a storage shed. I fixed it and he did it again. Now I'm thinking seriously about introducing him to my 06. Went and fixed it again then instead of latching it I just propped a timber up against the door. He would give the timber a shove and then the door could swing open, after checking it out a couple more time and finding nothing to eat he left it alone.
If I had your problem here, I'd blister him with bird shot. Like the spray can idea too. Then if he comes back, kill him and keep my mouth shut.

Good Luck
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A spray can of "Quickstart" for engines works wonderfully, ....the ether does not turn their crank. Either bacon grease or sardine oil smeared over the can makes it enticing.!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote