THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Proper squaring of a Bear or Bear squared.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper squaring of a Bear or Bear squared.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
We've all heard about the 8 foot Black Bears and 10 and a half foot Browns so I want to know the proper method that "squaring" is based on. I'd really like to hear from some experts and old timers as I've heard this term since I was just a babe and want to know the facts. I think the term gets used rather loosely these days.
You all know what I'm talking about so let's hear it!

For instance "that bear will square 9 feet".

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the length of the front paw to other front paw + the length from nose to butt divided by 2.

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are many ways to measure a "squared" bear. that is why only skull measurements are used by record books and serious guides and hunters.
Officially the hide should be laid flat and measurements taken from front paw to paw and then nose to tail and the results squared.
On really large bears it is possible to add an additional foot or more by running the belly cut clear up through the lower jaw. P&T were notorius for doing this. It makes the hides "measure" larger but also makes taxidermy work harder.
Another method of "enlarging" an hide is to cut from rear paw directly across to the other paw and in front of the penis. this creates a flat of hide that then again adds over a foot to the length of the hide. It is not always done just to create a larger measurement. It also makes a rug more square in shape and is the prefered method if the hunter wants a rug rather than a full mount.
In addition you have hunters and guides who tug on hides when measuring them and in some cases streach them and tack them down before measuring. I even know of a guide who had one foot cut from a steel tape measure between the four and five foot marks and the tape re-welded. He killed lots of "big" bears.
In my experience, verified by the opinion of most AK bear biologists, it normally takes nearly an honest 28" B&C skull to make an honest ten foot bear.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, thanks for the straight info when it comes to bears. Much appreciated as always! thumb

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil is right. My wife gets pretty Irate when a customer comes in and says "my guide said this...." (shes a taxidermist) as soon as they say that she puts the hide on the floor (if its not frozen) lays it out, and gives a good rough estimate. most of the time shes right, the customer is pissed and shes getting chewed out that a women doesnt know how to measure an animal. she just laughs. Alot of guides are real crooked on measuring a bear.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
simple - get yourself 2 horses and tie them to the bear skin and have them pull in opposite directions. then using a rubber tape you measure the length. then to the same thing to the width. Multiply one measurement by theother Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote