THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Contact for Kotzeboue (spl)Bush pilot

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contact for Kotzeboue (spl)Bush pilot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Guys it seems the Mulchatna herd has changed zip code of late, and we are thinking of hunting out of Kotzeboue next year, and need a contact number, web-site,and/or address of a good bush pilot to get us, (usually 4 of us) with our gear in and out of the back country for Caribou, and/or Moose!

The Mulcatna basin has gone down in quality, because of the warming winters. The Mulchatna River is restricted to subsistance hunting within 1 mile of the river, and in 9 days this year, not one good bull was spotted 40 miles from Illiamna. Did see a lot of Brownies, but that is common there, in September, till den up!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

The biggest bush operator out of OTZ (Kotzebue) is Northwestern Aviation used to be owned by Jim Roode (907) 442-3525. I recomend Jim. He is a straight shooter and a dependable safe operator. He is also usually booked two years in advance so give him a call early.

The other good operator out of OTZ is Buck Maxton he's got several float planes and wheel planes. Buck is also a good egg.

I will try and find Buck's number for you ior you can just call 907 info.

I used to fly out of OTZ but it was a long time ago. I know Northwestern is still in Bussiness as well as Buck as I have friends who are still working up there.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Interesting post as I was in the process of trying to figure out where to hunt caribou in Alaska. WE hunted bear this year out of St. Michael but no caribou in that area in September.

So for those in the know where is the best place for guided caribou in Alaska?

Most of the bigger booking agents suggest Mulchatna.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
BIG B, This is the first year the Mulchatna herd hs been very absent from the areas where we usually hunt. Brownies, and a couple wolves were spotted, but the caribou were few and far between. According to LaPorte who owns Illiamna Air Taxi said it is because the last three or four winters have had periods of extreme warming, and re-freezing, forming a cake of ice over the snow, makeing it impossible for the Caribou to get to the lichen. He says many were lost to starvation, or enjury to their legs by breaking through the ice, leaving them vulnerable to Wolves. His words were "THE CARIBOU HAVE CHANGED THEIR ZIP CODE!" He also said if the winter is the same this year, they are not going to fly hunters at all, next year. Addtionally the flying has gone up to $550 per hour, because of gas prices.

I don't know if we will do any better but we are thinking of going way up North next year!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac

I think your talking about the nature of the caribou. Sometimes they just don't show up. I know Tim LaPortes and his wife personally and perhaps in the Iliamna area winter weather has been a factor. The Mulchatna herd has only been marginally available out of Iliamna for some time. As the herd exploded in the 80's I saw the numbers go from 20,000 to 200,000 plus and there routes changed with animals showing up in places where no living person had ever seen them.

The large parts of the herd have been easier to access from Dillingham for several years but even then a fairly long charter is necessary.

The LaPortes have cancelled their caribou hunts before because it was imprctical to fly to the large herds. For several years the concentrations of bulls have been closer to Bethel than Iliamna.

What I'm saying is the Mulchatna herd is strong you may just have to get to them from a different place. There were certainly lots of them last year near the Tikchik lakes when I hunted with Jerry Huffaker.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mac

What I'm saying is the Mulchatna herd is strong you may just have to get to them from a different place. There were certainly lots of them last year near the Tikchik lakes when I hunted with Jerry Huffaker.

Mark

Mark, I've hunted the Mulchatna basin from Tourcoise (spl)lake, in the west, to Illiamna,near Cook inlet, and floated the Mulchatna from Half Cabin Lake to Nick's landing at Overlook Mountain, and near the mountains a few miles from Lake Clark in the north, down to the hills west of Katmai park in the South, and I've never seen the caribou as sparce as they have been the last two years.

You are right, Caribou are where you find them, and though they may be there in hundreds on fly-in day, the next day they may be 100 miles away. Maybe we are just tired of Mulchatna, and want to hunt farther North, but I think that is what we are going to do next year! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Your exactly right. We hunted with Tim in the late 90's and dropped into a big a valley just alive with caribou. The next morning there were quite a few bulls close by camp but in the PM it just dried up. We all shot nice bulls but the major group had shoved through. That is the nature of these migratory beasts. What the HECK Kotz may be a new adventure for you.

Good Luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Did you give Jim a call?

I used to live in Kotze and have hunted the area quite a bit. If I can be of any assistance drop me a line.

The hunting has changed up there as well. The bous aren't crossing the range until much later than they used to.

Greg