New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep and goat caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a .257 WTHBY MAG barrel and wanted to know if this caliber/cartridge would be sufficient for sheep and goats in AK? If so, what grain bullet would you prefer for this round? Thanks.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several deer with a 257 WBY, all with factory loads.
I used the 100 gr Hornady, the 100 gr Nosler Partition, and the 120 gr Nosler Partition.
If I were you I would use the 120 gr Nosler Partiton.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two favorite loads for my .257 Wby. A 115 or 120 grain Nosler Partition bullet with 68 grains of RL-22 and Fed 215M primer. It does 3450 fps and has pin point accuracy. The other is 70 grains RL-22, same primer and a 100 grain Barnes TSX bullet. It does 3628 fps and also has excellent accuracy. It would be perfect for Sheep or Goats. I put a 6 X 24 Burris Signature scope on my rifle and have a grandson that claims it the perfect deer rifle. thumb Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compared to a mtn goat, a sheep is not hard to kill. A big billy will take a lot of killing sometimes and will probably require a stouter bullet than a ram......caliber is secondary to a premium bullet when it comes to mtn goats, all things considered, jmho.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sheep hunting partner uses the .257 weatherby. I would go with the barnes triple shock. A terrific bullet that will not break up and do some serious damage.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That caliber is more than sufficient for sheep or goat. What I would worry about is what's around on the way up or down. Then that may look a bit small. Greg

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northway, I wish I could use the triple shocks, but I do not handload, so I'm limited to basically Weatherby factory ammo. I bought some 120 grain partitions to experiment with. Weatherby offers the Barnes X-bullet, but I haven't heard much about them. I used the TSX bullet in S. Africa this year on plainsgame out of a .300 Win Mag and their performance was unbelievable. Five animals with 5 shots.

Craig

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Contact Conley Precision Cartridge Company (website below). I don't reload either at this point and they may be to help you. They show a .257 Roberts, not Weatherby, but it is worth the call to see if they can help you out. I have switched to the TSX after years of NP and TBBC. So far at the range, no complaints, we will know after September how well they work on the big brownies in 350 grain for my 416 Rigby. Will be switching over to them in 140's for my 7 MM Rem Mag later this fall.

Good luck, let us know if they can help.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/index.htm

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BHW. Conley does load the TSX's for .257 WTHBY, but I wasn't sure if there ammo was any good. I posted in the small arms section, but didn't get any replies. The TSX's worked beautifully for me in S. Africa this year. Maybe I'll call Conley tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
As to the Barnes Triple Shock, Federal is now loading one in their premium ammo, though I suppose it wouldn't be available in Weatherby calibers.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I am taking the 300 WSM to Alaska in August for Sheep and Goat. I am shooting the Federal Triple Shocks 180 grain. I assume these will be sufficient for both sheep and goats.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, you will be more than satisfied with the triple shocks. I took 5 animals this year in RSA and they were all one shot kills. If you can do your job, they will do theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I could use the triple shocks, but I do not handload

quote:
I wish I could use the triple shocks, but I do not handload

Handloading is much easier/cheaper/less time-consuming than trying to search for the type of loaded ammunition that you want (and most likely will never find).

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted Jul 7, 9:49 PM
I just picked up a .257 WTHBY MAG barrel and wanted to know if this caliber/cartridge would be sufficient for sheep and goats in AK?

Yes, plenty enough for Sheep and Goat! However, there is another creature roaming around in Sheep/Goat habitat that requires more stopping power! My first Dahl Sheep hunt I used a 270 Win. Fine performance on the sheep, only I saw 8 grizzlies during a three day period that were all inside of two hundred yards! I never carried anything less than a 30 caliber in the Alaskan hunting environment again! You might want to consider another caliber unless your buddy or guide has a bigger smoke pole!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more with aktoklat. I just returned from a Dall hunt in the NWT. I had a 270 WSM, which was great for sheep, but felt it was marginal for any possible bear encounters.