Tools

I had a terrible hunt in Alaska.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Dude at least you didnt just about get eaten by bears or free to death.My first alaska hunt was a train wreck.The guy flying the plane had a brain tumor and didnt know it yet.He first bitched how much stuff I had.You are supose to have 100 pounds but they forgot to tell me.I narrowed down my stuff in about 5 mintues.I grabbed mostly the wrong stuff including hardly any cold weather stuff.My trip over the river inclued crashing into the willows which tore some nice holes in the wings.Then i asked where to camp he just pointed over there.I was dropped off in a place which every tree I saw was rubbed and had bear hair on it.I was supose to stay with the owner of the outfit for a month and help him out.He left saying the weather was too rough for him to stay and left for his cabin.I left in 75 degree weather and it was 25 and snowing when I arrived.I had an unproved new tent and a sleeping bag I borrowed that when I took out would only zip to my knees.I hunted 10 days and saw nothing but caribou I could not shoot and a ton of grizzley bears.I kept a fire going about every night because the bears got closer every night.I got soaked more and more every day.I found the guy who owned the outfit dropping more people off.I asked him when he was taking me back.He said he was not going to come pick me up.I should have just shot his plane then so he could stay too.I stayed 10 days and nights till the last night the bears tried to get into the tent.I shot down into the ground with my 338 win mag.They just jumped up and down.I saw 7 different bears the last night I was there.The guy who camped there the year before me cross the uncrossible river when a sow and two cubs tried to attack him.I heard a plane the next morning and flagged him down.I asked if he could take me back across the river.He said no but radioed the ffa to have the guy come get me because I was getting hypothermia.The guy finally came but it was snowing like crazy when he did come.We had to fly about 75 foot above the river.He had screamed we are gonna crash both ways on our trip.The army told us to pull up because we were on the bombing range.We pulled up into migtating sand hill cranes.They were wacking the plane all over.I just knew we would go down.We finally made it back .The guy who flew me quit flying soon after that.He died about a year later due to the tumor.I had a ton of other things go wrong on that trip also.I made sure after that I knew all the equipment I took and people I flew with.I have not flown on a hunting trip after that.One of my friends said he would never return to Alaska after a guy flew him out for two weeks then forgot to get him.He walked 35 miles till someone saw him.You gotta watch for shady people every where.

Now that's an adventure! Saw game everyday!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I'm considering having my Ackley 300 rebarreled after all the whining AIU has done. The regs state all usable meat and 85% of wanton waste violations have occured on unguided drop-off hunts from non-residents. good riddence!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I went in Alaska in June 1992 for king salmon fishing. My God, even Africa is not this sunny and hot.
We spent 2 weeks floating down the moose river without only one boat with 2 guys (drunk) and a gal (they immediately guessed I was a foreigner and asked where I came from. The guide told me it's easy to guess it because I was the only guy with no gun in my belt)
without seeing any plane(not good for emergency concern).
The place was spotless, the kings were starving, what nice biceps I grew.
We camped on the banks where one can find some glass shingle made of melt bottles. Geez!!! no paper, no garbages.....spotless everywhere.

In Anchorage, everybody was gracious and talkative. We marvelled at the giant hunting and fishing store, a real Mecca. I remember of a fine knife-resharpner. A funny guy at Harley D store where I found a nice honker for my bike.
The guide, Bernard Thomson, was so pleased that he wanted me to stay in AK. He knew some lawnlickers (dykes) who could have made me an American by fake wedding. Wink
God we were sad leaving such a magic country.
We saw the officers only at the customs : they were almost rude........but ......we were more than tipsy because nostalgia makes drink.
God bless Alaska.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A message to AIU

People are strange when you're a stranger. Same goes for assholes.

I've lived in the area you're refering to I've also hunted it as a nonresident. Never had a stitch of trouble. When the fish cops come in for a visit I make them coffe and talk to them about where the best hunting is. After showing them my tags and my VERY carefully fully boned out carcasses.Even the ribs are shiney white with no meat at all left on them. They just kind of relax and go away. I've got no problem with them flying over camp every day. If stuff ever goes bad you'll be more than happy that they do.

NEVER try and check your meat as baggage
BONEHEAD! Wink Ship it as freight. You used to be able to ship your meat as backhaul on Northern Air Cargo or Lynden for almost nothing. After 911 most of that was stopped due to tighter shipping regulations. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do it now however. You've got to think about this stuff before hand.

You sure as hell will have problems in AK if you act like a dumbass stressed out pushy cheechako asking a bunch of stupid questions and demanding a bunch of stupid answers. People in the villages are hard living and they won't kiss your butt.

If you go up there with a little bit of grit and a do it yourself attitude and don't have a helpless demanding personality you'll find that you'll get along just fine.

Of course Ak isn't for everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Always see bears when I dont want to see them.I once jumped a hudge griz in its bed sleeping .I had my 22 pistol at the time rabbit hunting.I learned on my wonderful first trip a few important things.The first was to know who your flying with.I will never go alone on such a trip again alone.There is too much that can happen.I also learned that you can never have too big of a tent gun.I now use 416 rem mag.And I learned that you must test your equipment before you go.I have also learned that cheap crap will get you in trouble.My tent fell in when it snowed.I had never camped in the snow before.I got invited on another trip with a gal once I told her to go first then I would be right over.I was already for the trip when she came over the day we were to go.There was a dude with her he said you aint sleeping in the tent with my wife.I had hunted with her three months and never knew she was married .Thats another rule ,really know your hunting partners before you go on a trip they could get you into more trouble than a bear could.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr416,

2nd time of asking. What outfit treated you that way on your Ak. hunt? Thanks.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dungbeetle,
The reason dgr won't answer your question is easy. He's full of shit! I've asked him questions to clarify his stories more than once and never got a reply.
Like all the Russians killing all "his" moose and never getting dusted by F&G, the Army killing Bison on their land and letting them lay, seeing 135 bull moose in two days, etc, etc.
He offers no proof for any of his BS stories, ever. I've tried to ignore him in the past hoping he will go away, but he's still here spewing shit.
Excuse my rant, but some people really get my blood pressure to rise. I don't mind posting facts if they're facts. I'll go have a brew.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alasken,

Beginning to think the same here also but want to give him the benefit of the doubt. Starting to smell a little but we'll see.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alasken:
Dungbeetle,
The reason dgr won't answer your question is easy. He's full of shit! I've asked him questions to clarify his stories more than once and never got a reply.
Like all the Russians killing all "his" moose and never getting dusted by F&G, the Army killing Bison on their land and letting them lay, seeing 135 bull moose in two days, etc, etc.
He offers no proof for any of his BS stories, ever. I've tried to ignore him in the past hoping he will go away, but he's still here spewing shit.
Excuse my rant, but some people really get my blood pressure to rise. I don't mind posting facts if they're facts. I'll go have a brew.

Alasken,

There is no shortage of that kind of B.S. on this sight. It's because there is no moderation and people can and will say anything they want without repercussion.

Don't let it get to you or you'll go nuts. These guys are trying to get a rise out of you. This is the only way a computer geek ever gets to pick on somebody without getting his pencil neck snapped. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy who flew me died the year after my trip.He had a brain tumor that was bad enough for him to not be flying.His partner retired the next year .They were the transporter guys who can take you out hunting but cant help you or furnish you with any hunting equipment.I was supose to go with Rust's flying services on the Alaska pensula but got talked into these guys by a gal who knew them.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You gotta watch for shady people every where

From your 1st post dgr416. I agree, even on Hunting Forums.

DB