Find
Notify
Tools

35 whelen for large black bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but . . .

What do you Alaska guys think about 35 whelen for large black bears? I've heard good things about it, but mostly 2nd hand stories. The last few years I've been getting into black bear hunting here in California, and I'm looking to possible convert a 30-06 into a 35 whelen as a possible solution. I'm sure that a heavy 30-06 would do the job, but I also figure that a little heavier bullet as insurance wouldn't hurt either.

And yes, I do have a 45-70 but I want something that shoots a little flatter in case I have to take a shot at a wounded bear moving away.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eric
I have shot a few black bears.
I have used a 300 Mag, 450/400 double rifle, 9,3x74r double rifle, 308 single shot, and a Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh.

A 35 Whelen is a very good choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree with you more!!! A 35 Whelen is the cat's meow for big blackies, just don't use bullets meant for a .35Rem. The .45-70 is fine for close-range self-protection but leave it home for purposeful hunting. A good bullet from an '06 ain't a bad choice either and where the bullet goes trumps it all.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Big black bears and the 35 Whelen have got to be the perfect combination.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I've used my 30-06 quite a bit in Alaska and would feel comfortable using it on Black bears in CA.

On the other hand a .35 Whelan would be really neat!

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats like asking if a baseball bat is good for hitting baseballs. The whelen is about the perfect combination of ballistics for large black bear/elk/moose hunting. Not to mention is has a lot more "cool" factor over the old 06.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I hunt black bear every spring. I like to try a differant rifle out every time and last year I took my .35 whelen. Worked fine and he did run 10 yards or so but down with one shot.

I've also had good results with everything else I tried. Iv'e taken 3 with .30-06, 2 with .375 H&H, 2 with .300 win mag, 1 with 8x57 js 1 with 8x57 jrs 1 with .338 win and the one with my .35 Whelen.

I'm not sure what I'll use this year but I'm leaning toward my .54 cal Lyman deerstalker.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, it was about perfect!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be going for black bear #20 this spring. I've used cartridges ranging from 6mm Rem. to 375 H&H and this year I'm planning close stalking with a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. I'd say there is absolutely nothing wrong with your '06, but the 35 Whelen is a favorite of mine and is well matched to any of the black bear hunts I've been on. I say go for it.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Whelen is a superb choice for larger black bear and most other NA heavy game. It would also, IMHO, make for an excellent general-purpose African bush round.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot two (smaller) black bears in Alberta last spring, with a 9.3x62 (.366 caliber). The first died on the spot, and the second made a 20 yard rush before collapsing in a heap. 247 grs bullet. I would think a .35 Whelen wouldn't perform any worse.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I've shot black bears with a 270, 300 WM, and a bow and never had a problem killing any of them so your 35 Whelen will most certainly get the job done quite easily as long as you do your part and put the bullet in the right spot.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to some folk, the bullet will bounce right off, especially if it is not a premium bullet. I'm still waiting for that to happen. It hasn't yet, after several black bear, but I know it will because those with magnumitis say it will. Cool

Frankly, it'll do as good a job as any other caliber and do it better than most.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt hesitate to use my 35 Whelen or even my .358 win for blackies. I converted a Savage 110 30-06 to 35 Whelen with a cheap Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway. Did the work myself and was very easy to change. Want to use the Whelen in Africa for plains game with heavier bullets like a 270gr North Fork, 275gr Hawk, or 280gr Swift A-Frame.

For blackies i think any good bullet from 225gr up to 250 would work wonders and the 250gr Speer hot-core is a good all around bullet for the Whelen.As well as the 225gr Nosler partition or Barnes TSX.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a side note, if you re-barrel, get a 1 in 12" twist rate, 1 in 14" at the minimum, the 1 in 16" that remington and ruger uses is OK but it wont stabilize long bullets or the heavy weights, why ham string yourself?

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Frankly, it'll do as good a job as any other caliber and do it better than most.

Was figuring you'd chime in there, Rupe. Smiler

The Whelen will work pretty well on a dying, but still mobile antelope trying to scamper off a Wyoming hillside, too, after some jackass bungles his choice of ammo and somehow isn't able to put it down with 3 direct hits. Don't ask me how I know that... wave

Added edit: next year I'll report back on how it works on BB.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only shot one blackie with a whelen. it works at 211 yards. It wasnt the biggest bear (6'2") but I dont have 2nd thoughts to use it on bears. Matter of fact, I'm gonna use it on my griz hunt this spring.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that aside from the one shot black bear that I took with my whelen That rifle has accounted for 2 buffalo 2 whotail deer and 2 hogs. They all whent down with one shot except for 1 buffalo. Of course thats the one I have on film. Although the first shot didn't do the job ( I won't discount shooter error) he droped like a sack of potatoe's on the second shot.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use that cartridge on brown bear using a 225 grain swift a-frame or a barnes tsx bullet.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I posted under Medium Bore Rifles...

I love my whelen and sofar I've used it to take a bison, musk ox, caribou, impala and kudu. All with 225gr TSXs at just over 2600fps. My plans are to use the same rifle and bullet hunting brown bear on the ABCs in May.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Mark65X55 i'll be waiting on your story. Edge of my seat kinda thing. I asked the question some time ago if someone had actually shot a brownie here on AR with a 35 whelen. No one spoke up. Mine hasn't taken game yet but I'll try elk again this year. Teat hound build one, I don't believe you'll regret it. beer

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great cartridge, bring plenty of your own ammo, no 35 is very popular in AK. last thing you want is some sales clerk lookin at you like a jersy cow saying 35 wha

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Large black bears? The .35 Whelen would be a great round for large grizzlies.

Sure it's fine.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got my whelen back from the gunsmith last week. It started life as a Remington CDL with a 24" barrel, I had the wood stock replaced with a Bansner high tech, iron sights and a barrel band added, had all the metal teflon coated, added leupold QR rings and bases along with a 2.5-8x36. I love my whelen mgun

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted by mark65x55
quote:
Just got my whelen back from the gunsmith last week. It started life as a Remington CDL with a 24" barrel, I had the wood stock replaced with a Bansner high tech, iron sights and a barrel band added, had all the metal teflon coated, added leupold QR rings and bases along with a 2.5-8x36. I love my whelen

Can't wait to hear a hunting report on your rifle. Love the choice of scope, I have the same set up on my .30-06 as far as scope and rings. I use the same scope on my .338-06 but opted for the 1.75-6X32 on my Whelen

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I killed a very nice (18.5"/352lb) blackie with my 35 Wheelen and 225gr Swift A Frames. One shot at the juncture of the neck & shoulder at 60 yards and he dropped like a stone. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
jorge - Good show!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 9.3x62 with a 286 North Fork on my last one. The Whelen should be real similar.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I killed a very nice (18.5"/352lb) blackie with my 35 Wheelen and 225gr Swift A Frames. One shot at the juncture of the neck & shoulder at 60 yards and he dropped like a stone. jorge

Nice bear, especially for New England. Judging by the picture, the comment in the article regarding the bear being taken at the 'edge of darkness' is a bit of a stretch, however... Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote