THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Southeast Alaska hunter survives bear attack

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southeast Alaska hunter survives bear attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.adn.com/alaska-news...in-southeast-alaska/

Southeast Alaska hunter survives bear attack

Author: Michelle Theriault Boots Updated: 47 minutes ago Published 13 hours ago

A deer hunter from Hoonah was injured in a brown bear attack on Chichagof Island in Southeast Alaska Saturday, and was saved when his hunting partner shot and killed the attacking bear, Alaska State Troopers reported.

Anthony Lindoff, 36, of Juneau and Josh Dybdahl, 30, of Hoonah, were approaching a brushy spot in an area of muskeg near Neka Bay on Chichagof Island, preparing to call for deer when the bear attacked around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, troopers said in an online dispatch.

"They heard a 'whoof' and then a brown bear emerged from the brush charging at them," troopers wrote.

The bear pinned Dybdahl on the ground; Lindoff grabbed his rifle and shot the bear, killing it, the dispatch said.

The bear, a sow, had two cubs with her, according to the dispatch.

"Investigation revealed that the attack likely occurred as a result of the bear being startled," troopers said.

Lindoff and Dybdahl called the U.S. Coast Guard, which picked them up in a helicopter and took the men to Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau.

According to a report from Juneau radio station KTOO, the men told the Coast Guard that they'd fired warning shots at the two cubs — which they said appeared to be about 2 years old — while awaiting pickup, because the other bears "kept trying to close in."

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has been notified of the incident, troopers said.

There have been numerous bear maulings in Southeast Alaska in recent months, including a Kentucky hunter attacked less than two weeks ago by a brown bear while hunting with a guide on Admiralty Island, east of Chichagof Island.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy lives less than 15 miles from me. Will be calling to see how he is.

The KY hunter that is!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Guess if I'm deer hunting there, I leave the 35 Remington home and carry the 50 Alaskan with 535 Woodleigh's?

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Guess if I'm deer hunting there, I leave the 35 Remington home and carry the 50 Alaskan with 535 Woodleigh's?

I wouldn't think so. Seems to me a .35 Remington is more than plenty to dissuade an in bound bear. I own a Model 8 in .35 and intend to carry it around with me one of these fall's.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
. I used to work and live there. Not only Hoonah, but also Neka (pronounced Neekah) bay. I'm sure it would seem to you a 35 Rem. Would be totally sufficient Scott. However, I doubt you've ever been in Neka Bay. Or 8 Fathom Bight, ECT. Unbelievably dense population of Brown bear. Unimaginably dense brush. The kind U can't see 2' into. Or walk/climb/crawl thru. But that a bear can blast right thru. So, that makes at least 7 people that I've met or know in just Hoonah alone that have been under a Brown bear.
A 50 Alaskan is a good round for Southeast. I wouldn't overdo it on bullet weight. A 400-450 grain bonded core bullet is ideal. For bear. But , the heavy weight would work good on deer. Poke a hole thru and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
I seriously doubt that sow charged because she was startled. More like she got a wiff of them and co sidered them a good source of food. At least that is what the Hoonah Ranger district biologist told me one fall when I had a boat load of bear problems working in the Neka Bay Estuary.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bear Hunting Judge . Carried a Remington Model 8 . He killed a lot of bear with it he liked it because it held a lot of shells and was easy to reload fast . He used lots of bullets per bear kill.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Your irrational fear of bears leads me to believe either you've no experience and are making all this up or you're simply emotionally unstable.

As I had the high honor of reading your, ";;;;;;;;Gumboot Posts!;;;;;;;;" I'm thinking either is probable.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really good vid. Thanks for posting it !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet he and several others won't be going in the bear woods alone from now on.
Mighty lucky is sounds like.

Good for them they kept their cool heads and the other guy killed the bear right away.

Educational video, thanks for posting it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure seems like an over abundance of these events this year. Certainly serves as a reminder that bears are dangerous. One has to be careful and cautious.

I hope all the injured people recover.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Sure seems like an over abundance of these events this year. Certainly serves as a reminder that bears are dangerous. One has to be careful and cautious.

I hope all the injured people recover.

Poor pink salmon runs across the state and early berry ripening reduced the amount of food available to bears in August and later. Expect more of this climate change induced variability...

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote