THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Got an answer from F&G regarding state regulation of offshore waters...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got an answer from F&G regarding state regulation of offshore waters...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I said I would ask my charter captain (who has about 27 years experience) the question and here is his response...

"I talked to Fish and Game today and and got an answer. Quite frankly the question stumped most of the local staff here so they had to get a legal
opinion from a lawyer in Juneau who knows about these things. Anyway, the State legislature gives the State the authority to regulate freshwater sportfisheries and saltwater in the EEZ (out to three miles). The federal
law... the Magneson Act gives the State the authority to regulate sport and commerical fisheries beyond the 3-mile limit provided this doesn't conflict with any federal law. It sounds like some states like California or Florida just choose not to regulate beyond the 3 mile limit. It may be cheaper for them to let the feds do it... cause then the feds are responsible for management as well. The states may not want the financial responsibilty of managing beyond 3 miles.... it cost money. I don't understand it all, but the bottom line is the magneson act allows for it if the State chooses to do so...as long as they are not in conflict."

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Must be the State is making lot's of money off them commercial boys or it would not be worth their money to manage the fisheries out that far.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote