Find
Notify
Tools

sportsmans warehouse
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Last week I read that they are coming to Fairbanks next summer.

I can't wait.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
You and me both!

Finally, we can say screw you to guns down under for raping us for years!

Combat vet by choice...Don't make me have a flashback!
Michael Savage...Fight Liberals! Liberalism is a mental disease!
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-prs/index.html

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
You will soon call it the Sportsmans Whorehouse. Can't keep from stopping by when the urge overtakes you and blowing a load (of money). Might also cause marital problems.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that's true...Everytime I go to Anchorage I come back with a gun then some.

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to them at the Sportsman's Show in Anchorage last week and was told that the store in Fairbanks will be open before the end of this year with late November the target date. They will have representatives at the Sportsman's Show this weekend in Fairbanks, go ask them yourselves - KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd agree with you guys about SW coming into town. Even when they do however, I think I'm still gonna get most of my stuff at Sentry Hdwe. They've always gone out of their way for me. And yes, I'm still gonna boycott the Downunder Screwers. Haven't used 'em in years & don't intend to start. BTW, SW is supposed to set up shop across the expressway from WallyWorld.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So true about dwn under-- too much overhead since Karl passed on.I was overjoyed to hear of a new toy store--wow! Tough here in the state to get your monies worth, now maybe we can.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a sportsmans warehouse nearby is better than not having anything, but in general their customer service attitude could be improved. If given the choice between a SW or a Cabelas, I will opt for Cabelas.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sportsmans Warehouse is the best thing to hit Alaska since the permenant fund! The wife calls it the "hardon warehouse", guess she's right cause it sure causes me a stir!! Greg

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's is nice...No doubt. However try living in AK where the general attitude by Cabela's is to screw us over in shipping!

What? You live in AK? That will be $25 shipping plus extra $25 cost for AK.

Sportsman's Warehouse can have my money vs. Cabela's!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deutsch-Drahthaar:
Cabela's is nice...No doubt. However try living in AK where the general attitude by Cabela's is to screw us over in shipping!

What? You live in AK? That will be $25 shipping plus extra $25 cost for AK.

Sportsman's Warehouse can have my money vs. Cabela's!

I ask Cabela's to to ship via USPS "priority," and it does not cost too much. I haven't paid more than $13.00 per shipment. However, I should soon be able to buy bullets and other reloading stuff at Sportsman Warehouse. I am certain that bullets and reloading components will be more expensive than Cabela's, but what I save on shipping should offset the difference in price.

Cabela's lost their chance to open a store in Alaska.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
When I still worked in Anchorage and just before SW came to town the carpenters union B.A. called Cabelas and asked them about coming to Anchorage since there was an emptpy Kmart building in town.

They replied something to the effect that they didn't think that Anchorage could support one of thier stores. They had been building monster stores down south and were concentrating on those.

I am sure we don't need a Cabelas now. I have been very impressed with SW prices in Anchorage.

I hope they don't screw up and try to charge us more here than in Anchorage.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other thing to be aware of with Sportsman's Warehouse is that they will not honor any warranty. If you buy it, then you own it and that's that. SW says, "The warranty is with the manufacturer, not us." At least Cabelas will stand behind what they sell.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
The other thing to be aware of with Sportsman's Warehouse is that they will not honor any warranty. If you buy it, then you own it and that's that. SW says, "The warranty is with the manufacturer, not us." At least Cabelas will stand behind what they sell.

Well, that's true. I have bought Cabela's boots, and remember at least one time I had to return them after a week of use. They took it back, no questions asked. I also returned a set of ATV metallic floor boards that didn't fit my ATV. The bottom line is that Cabela's has saved me quite a lot of money through the years.

Cabela's sponsors quite a lot of dog teams and mushers. They should have opened a store in Fairbanks or Anchorage a few years ago, not necessarily to sell guns, but clothing, camping and hunting gear, etc. We can get pretty good deals ion guns (when on sale) by existing stores.

Now, gun dealers want too much money for used guns at the gun shows. I have gotten good deals at some of the pawn shops, but even these want too much for guns. I went to the gun show in Fairbanks yesterday, and ended up buying a knife. I saw some new and used rifles, but all were too expensive. Fred Meyer, and Sentry have gun sales avery once in awhile. I bought a new Nikon spotter at Fred Meyer a couple of years ago. They were having a 40% discount sale, so I ended paying a little over half of a $409.00 item. All the ammo was on 40% discount, too, and a bough a few boxes of .338WM and .454 Casull ammo. They have this sale at least once per year.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the benefits of buying at Wholesale is not having to shop at these Mart Stores. Smiler

Allen Glore

"Annoy a Liberal, work, succeed, be happy"

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray:
Know what you mean by the usual stuff at the gun show. I didn't even go this weekend since I get very tired of viewing overpriced junk, military clunkers & other military crap. I've only purchased 1 firearm from an over the counter dealer & that was at Sentry a year or so ago. If I want to purchase a firearm, I go to several acquaintances who have FFL's & they'll sell to me for very little over their cost. I think if I were you, I'd be looking for an acquaintance with an FFL & deal with him.
BTW, you indicated trhat you're from the Fbks. area - hmmm, for some reason I thought you were down around the Anch./Wasilla area. Later,
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't even go this weekend since I get very tired of viewing overpriced junk, military clunkers & other military crap

I'm with you on that one...I'm boycotting the gunshows here in Fairbanks. For the years and years now I've seen the same crap over and over again. In fact the last gunshow I went to I was looking for some 7mm dies and the guy wanted $30.00 for used dies. I said no! So he says $20.00. I said ok...and wanted to open up the taped box to inspect them and he insisted that they are in perfect condition and I was wasting my time. Took one look and the son-of-bitch was trying to sell me a die with a stuck case in it.

9 out 10 guns are junk or rusted and 9 out 10 are over priced. They must be calling guns down under for value prices. lol

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The gun show was not that great if you were looking for a gun.

Cabelas supports the bad habits of dog wranglers?! This is supposed to be a good thing.

Just messing with you. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!