New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poncho
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to be on Kodiak Island in Nov. Outfitter said not to bother bringing boots, only hip boots. I figure a poncho along with the hip boots would keep me dry and maybe more ventilated for the climbs. Can anybody reccommend a brand or what to look for, or where to buy?

Posts: 46 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:
Not to go against the advice of your guide but I think I question the "bring only hip boots" comment. I would certainly take them but when we go to Afognak Island, I always wear knee high boots. I just think I'd take something in addition to the hip boots. I'd also take some type of a rubber, slip on "camp shoe" to wear around camp The one time I hunted Kodiak, it was in the spring - last 2 weeks of the bear season - and we did wear hip boots almost exclusively due to the snow depth on the mountains.
As to a poncho. I personally don't like them. They never keep me dry. Think I'd get a top quality rain jacket with hood & hat instead. Something like Helly Hanson, that's what the commercial guys use. I'd get it large enough to wear over a down vest or sweater.
As a side note, regardless of the boots you take, be certain to get them large enough to put a felt inner sole inside then a QUALITY arch support. The arch supports I use are from Danner. Take extra felt inner soles & put dry ones in at the start of the day. Also, don't forget to take a tube of Boot Goop to repair any tears in your boots. It's saved my bacon several times.
Just my comments on what I do FWIW. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve O,

In November, when the wind starts sure enough blowing while you're over at Kodiak, and it will, you'll wish you had quality rain gear. Also some arch support for those hippers as suggested above. Don't "cheap out" on your important gear and rain gear is awfully important up here.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

The way I was looking at it, if I'm wearing hip boots, it would be silly to put rain pants over them. A jacket would not cover down to where the hippers started, thus the poncho idea. How do you do it? The outfitter swears by "Bog Buster" hip boots from Cabela's. I figure he has been doing it longer than me...so I mostly do what they tell me. I'm not trying to be cheap, just would like the best tools for the job and would love to hear others experiences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Helly Hanson Impertec in 3/4 length. Yes if you sweat you will get wet from the inside, but it will keep you dry from the outside, and I think you will find it better suited than a poncho. Take fleece it will dry faster, and turn some sprinkles. Also a light camp shoe that will turn some water as others have mentioned.

Take care of your feet daily, you can get by fairly well with wet ones and then foot powder. Your feet are likly to sweat in the hippers, and they are about imposible to get dry in a spike camp.

Steve O

We posted about the same time and then I saw your inquiry about Bog Busters, I have pair, I even took them along to the Peninsula this spring, but I also took a heavier made pair. I left the Bog Busters in camp, they are ok but the uppers are not very thick. I think the willows and alders would have worked them over in short order. Aside from that the foot bed is not a firm sole, as in a lot of flex more than the cross trainers I wear at the gym. I dont have the experiance of your outfitter but I would give myself plenty of time to look into other hippers. The boots I did use daily were from herters when cabelas bought them out and had laces to add ankle support. I dont see them advertised now.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve O,

As has already been said, a 3/4 length rain jacket such as the HH or Grundens, both commercial grade. The Grunden's is the heavier of the two, but it is what I use and most of the rest of us, in camp, use the HH. Use the commercial grade as they stand up better in the willows and alders. I also agree that you need to compare the uppers of different brands of hippers for the same reasons. I use stockingfoot hippers and waist high waders along w/plastic Koflach boots, but I'm not hunting Kodiak. If you spend much time up here, weather will become a concern.............enjoy your time here.......use the best gear.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, this is exactly why I was asking the question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SteveO, where on the island and what are you hunting? If it is brown bear out on the flats, say around Red Lake, hip boots would definitely be required. If you are hunting deer and/or goats in the mountains, I would wear standard lug soled hunting boots (goretex lined) and take lots of spare socks and some seal skins. If your guide isn't wet behind the ears (and I don't really know of any on Kodiak who are), trust what he tells you that you need.
As for rain gear, I would wear a 3/4 length coat if I were wearing hip boots (without rain pants, so you ventilate well). While HH and other PVC raingear is definitely waterproof, it is hot for climbing. I would go with goretex if the hunt is going to be other than a lot of sitting and glassing. It may not be as waterproof but you will break about even in a rainstorm given the condensation buildup you will have with PVC, and on those rare dry days it will be considerably more comfortable.
Fleece is great as long as you have a wind barrier. Wool is warm without the wind barrier but doesn't dry in camp very well. I personally use all sythetics from my boxers on up.
I will be on Kodiak this November also - drew a bear tag and will be deer hnnting as well.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote